SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 1599 Geneva Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BenBrockway

1599 Geneva Bible

I just received a 1599 Geneva Bible (the new reprint, of course) for my 32nd birthday, yesterday! Just thought I'd share the cool news with everyone. What an awesome Bible it is! ;-) :-D

2007/6/18 7:00Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: 1599 Geneva Bible

Happy Birthday!!!

Tell me what you like about this Bible. I've heard of it but don't really know anything about it.

Danielle

2007/6/18 7:49Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

BrokenOne wrote:
Happy Birthday!!!

Tell me what you like about this Bible. I've heard of it but don't really know anything about it.

Danielle

here ya go:

When the Pilgrims arrived in the New World in 1620, they brought along supplies, a consuming passion to advance the Kingdom of Christ, and the Word of God. Clearly, their most precious cargo was the Bible—specifically, the 1599 Geneva Bible.

All but forgotten in our day, this version of the Bible was the most widely read and influential English Bible of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. A superb translation, it was the product of the best Protestant scholars of the day and became the Bible of choice for many of the greatest writers and thinkers of that time. Men such as William Shakespeare, John Bunyan, and John Milton used the Geneva Bible in their writings. William Bradford also cited the Geneva Bible in his famous book Of Plymouth Plantation.

The Geneva Bible is unique among all other Bibles. It was the first Bible to use chapters and numbered verses and became the most popular version of its time because of the extensive marginal notes. These notes, written by Reformation leaders such as John Calvin, John Knox, Miles Coverdale, William Whittingham, Anthony Gilby, and others, were included to explain and interpret the scriptures for the common people.

FEATURES:

Word-for-word accuracy with the 1599 Geneva Bible
Original cross references
Modern spelling
Original study notes by Reformers
Old English Glossary
Easy-to-read print
Size: 6.5” x 9.5”;
Approx: 1,400 pages
Includes FREE CD-ROM which contains searchable, printable PDFs of the Apocryphal Books and Metrical Psalms included in original 1599 Geneva Bible

2007/6/18 7:57Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Here also is a link to more history behind the Geneva Bible: http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/historygenevabible.html

2007/6/18 7:58Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Ben, I have been enjoying the Geneva Translation and the marginal notes in [url=http://www.e-sword.net/]E-Sword[/url].

2007/6/18 9:31Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

;-)

Quote:

JaySaved wrote:
Ben, I have been enjoying the Geneva Translation and the marginal notes in [url=http://www.e-sword.net/]E-Sword[/url].

Thank you for that link!

2007/6/18 12:08Profile

Re: 1599 Geneva Bible

Ben, I've heard of the Geneva Bible, but not had one in my hand or tried to read it. I'm sure it's good.

David Daniell has a book about all the English translations of the Bible and he mentions this one in his introduction to Tyndale's New Testament - which at the moment is blessing me greatly. The Spirit is speaking through it very clearly to me.

2007/6/22 10:16
FreebyWord

Re: Geneva Bible

Question for Ben

I read several years ago that R. C. Sproul was working on a modern translation of I believe it was the Geneva Bible. Ben is this what you have or is it the original old English?

Since posting the above question, I have learned that Sproul has on the market the 1560 Geneva Bible with editorials of the study notes themselves.

2007/6/22 12:35Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Sproul worked on one called "The New Geneva Study Bible", now it is called "The Reformation Study Bible" I believe.

The one ben is speaking of is based on the original Geneva Bible, but with different font and page setup.

2007/6/22 12:38Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Yes, Roaring Lamb is correct. the bible is great! It is a challenge to read (there are words in it I've never seen before), however, I love this challenge, and am being blessed.

I found this to be interesting:

1599 Geneva Bible -
Wherefore, my bowels shall sound like an harp for Moab, and mine inward parts for Kir Heres.
Isaiah 16:11

NIV -
My heart laments for Moab like a harp, my inmost being for Kir Hareseth.
Isaiah 16:11

2007/6/28 8:17Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy