SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Large borders

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Large borders

[b][color=660033]But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments[/color][/b] -Matthew 23:5

Why did they enlarge the borders of their garments? Was it not to call attention to their devotion to God's law(see Numbers 15:38-39)?

[i]But all their works they do for to be seen of men...[/i]

It may be true of us also, that we call attention to our devotion of God's law, or Christ's commands, or our zeal for righteousness, or our condemnation of whatever is wicked, all this we may do.... [b]to be seen of men[/b].

Yet, devotion to God's law, or any of those things, may not be of faith.

Christ asks,

[b][color=660033]How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?[/color][/b]

But He says also,

[b][color=660033]If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.[/color][/b]

[i]...if any man serve me, him will my Father honour[/i]

Yet we may do much, and serve Christ not at all.

"All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits."

[i]...the LORD weigheth the spirits[/i]

[b][color=660033]And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.[/color][/b]

And do [b][i]we[/b][/i] try to justify ourselves, by speaking condemnation upon those around us?

And do we receive the honor of men by loving to appear rightous before others, by what we approve of, and what we condemn?

2007/6/15 14:49Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Large borders

Hello Brother Chris I pray that you are well and at peace
My thoughts reflect yours and my explanation would be that as servants of God we are not to seek our own glory and not think of ourselves as more holy than any of our brethren and try to enlarge ourselves as members of the body of Christ and start seeking praise from men.
We are to seek the praise of our Heavenly Father and His righteousness for He redeemed us and we are His workmanship through receiving Christ Jesus and His atonement .
There is no way that if you knew all the times I failed our Lord and sinned that you could see me as righteous but our Lord looks at the heart and knows whose heart is contrite and who are the self righteous. I can put on earthly appearances and impress man but we know there is one who sees all.

Eddie

2007/6/16 8:39Profile

Re:

O how much this sin plagues me. for that reason, i just simply don't even share my views, or answer questions here(and this might seem overboard)- even when it warrants i have experienced something of the nature being discussed and somebody could benefit from it. i want to learn how to be quiet just like Christ did- wasn't it 30 years- silent, not a word about Him preaching before then is recorded. i truly wonder now, Him having a human heart, how much it broke Him inside when He saw the Priests, scribes and such in the temple and the spiritual destitution around. i would imagine, He went home weeping every night He perceived things in His spirit.

2007/6/16 9:45
pastorfrin

Re: Large borders

Hi Chris,

Quote:

"And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

And do we try to justify ourselves, by speaking condemnation upon those around us?

And do we receive the honor of men by loving to appear rightous before others, by what we approve of, and what we condemn?"

Good questions and answered by one word; Love

If the love of Christ is not our motivation then we fall into the category of the goats who the Lord tells to depart from Him for he never knew them.
1 Cor. 13:1-8
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. [2] And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [3] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. [4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. [8] Charity never faileth:..."

Without love we are without Him.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/6/16 9:46Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone, and thank you for the responses.

Brother Eddie

"There is no way that if you knew all the times I failed our Lord and sinned that you could see me as righteous"

Me too brother. Me too.

Sb11175, how are you? Hope things are well there. Still thinking I may get back to baltimore sometime :)

"i want to learn how to be quiet just like Christ did- wasn't it 30 years- silent, not a word about Him preaching before then is recorded."

This is challenging. I think I recall reading something like this in one of Pastor Wurmbrand's collection of sermons from solitary confinement. Thank you brother.

Pastorfrin,

"Charity never faileth"

Thank you also brother.

2007/6/16 16:35Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy