SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Book of Enoch

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Book of Enoch

Has anyone read the book of Enoch? I read most of it today. It's very interesting. You can read in on sermonindex here:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=509

I've researched it a bit and find it interesting that many of the church Fathers considered it Scripture. If they did..I wonder why we don't? It contains so many references to the Son of Man, the "Elect" one, and salvation being offered to the Gentiles.

I would like to hear thoughts from anyone who has read it.

Below in red is from another site.

[color=990000]
The Book of Enoch was extant centuries before the birth of Christ and yet is considered by many to be more Christian in its theology than Jewish. It was considered scripture by many early Christians. The earliest literature of the so-called "Church Fathers" is filled with references to this mysterious book. The early second century "Epistle of Barnabus" makes much use of the Book of Enoch. Second and Third Century "Church Fathers" like Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Origin and Clement of Alexandria all make use of the Book of Enoch. Tertullian (160-230 C.E) even called the Book of Enoch "Holy Scripture". The Ethiopic Church even added the Book of Enoch to its official canon. It was widely known and read the first three centuries after Christ. This and many other books became discredited after the Council of Laodicea. And being under ban of the authorities, afterwards it gradually passed out of circulation. [/color]

[b]Below are some excerpts from the book talking about Christ and Salvation for the Gentiles.[/b]

XXXIX

6a And in that place mine eyes saw the Elect One of righteousness and of faith,
7a And I saw his dwelling-place under the wings of the Lord of Spirits.
6b And righteousness shall prevail in his days,
And the righteous and elect shall be without number before Him for ever and ever.
7b And all the righteous and elect before Him shall be strong as fiery lights,
And their mouth shall be full of blessing,

XLVI
1 And there I saw One who had a head of days,
And His head was white like wool,
And with Him was another being whose countenance had the appearance of a man,
And his face was full of graciousness, like one of the holy angels.
2 And I asked the angel who went with me and showed me all the hidden things, concerning that 3 Son of Man, who he was, and whence he was, (and) why he went with the Head of Days? And he answered and said unto me:
This is the son of Man who hath righteousness,
With whom dwelleth righteousness,
And who revealeth all the treasures of that which is hidden,
Because the Lord of Spirits hath chosen him,
And whose lot hath the pre-eminence before the Lord of Spirits in uprightness for ever.

XLVIII
1 And in that place I saw the fountain of righteousness
Which was inexhaustible:
And around it were many fountains of wisdom:
And all the thirsty drank of them,
And were filled with wisdom,
And their dwellings were with the righteous and holy and elect.
2 And at that hour that Son of Man was named
In the presence of the Lord of Spirits,
And his name before the Head of Days.
3 Yea, before the sun and the signs were created,
Before the stars of the heaven were made,
His name was named before the Lord of Spirits.
4 He shall be a staff to the righteous whereon to stay themselves and not fall,
And he shall be the light of the Gentiles,
And the hope of those who are troubled of heart.
5 All who dwell on earth shall fall down and worship before him,
And will praise and bless and celebrate with song the Lord of Spirits.
6 And for this reason hath he been chosen and hidden before Him,
Before the creation of the world and for evermore.
7 And the wisdom of the Lord of Spirits hath revealed him to the holy and righteous;
For he hath preserved the lot of the righteous,
Because they have hated and despised this world of unrighteousness,
And have hated all its works and ways in the name of the Lord of Spirits:
For in his name they are saved,
And according to his good pleasure hath it been in regard to their life.

LXII

6 And the kings and the mighty and all who possess the earth shall bless and glorify and extol him who rules over all, who was hidden.
7 For from the beginning the Son of Man was hidden,
And the Most High preserved him in the presence of His might,
And revealed him to the elect.

2007/6/13 18:39

Re: Book of Enoch

Though there was an actual Book of Enoch, this version (on SI) is of dubious authenticity. If it's related to the original, it was probably tampered with.

Consider the musings on astrology, meteorology, and geology in Book 3. The Sun goes into a "portal" for the night; the moon comes out of a "portal"; the snow and frost come from mountains... If you know the basic modern sciences, none of these things are true. The Earth goes around the Sun, not vice versa (and the Sun doesn't hide for the night). If they aren't true, they aren't of God.

I've read the other books years ago and there are some interesting parallels to scripture in areas - but I'm still doubtful of it's authenticity.

2007/6/13 19:11
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Book of Enoch

I read the book of Enoch some time ago and found it inspiring. I am not quite sure how to rate it, therefore I will stick with canon of scripture that the protestant church holds to.

Interesting is the fact that there is a reference in the letter of Jude quoting from the book of Enosh
Jude 14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him."

Philip

2007/6/13 19:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy