SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Genesis 1

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Moorsey

Genesis 1

I was recently enlightened as to the deeper meaning of Genesis Ch 1 i.e. as a picture of the New Birth and spiritual growth. I feel there is a wealth of teaching here as there are so many Christians who get to verse 3 (figuratively speaking) and no further.

Assuming you agree with this interpretation could I please ask a question -

Why did God on the second day not declare His work as good? The second day being a picture of separation. Anybody any ideas?

Also does anybody have any thoughts on the other days of creation?

2007/6/13 7:15Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Genesis 1

Moorsey,

Hello and welcome to the website.

Don't know if you are male or female with the name you have used, so please let us know.

Concerning Genesis 1, in verse 31 it says, 'Then God saw EVERYTHING that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day'.

Simply because the word 'good' is not used in every verse does not mean that what God created was not good.

As for the other days of creation, God was lining up our week for us.

Creation is awesome, because God is awesome.

Psalm 19v1, 'The heavens declare the glory of God...

And they do.

God is good.

God bless.

2007/6/13 7:26Profile
Moorsey

Re:

Hi Enid

Thanks for post and I am in full agreement. God is awesome and this chapter demonstrates God's awesome power.

Sometimes I feel we get hung up on trying to stand up against evolutionists and those who attack this portion of scripture. Obviously we should defend the Word of God, but not at the expense of missing the real meanings for ourselves who have been quickened by the Spirit to receive the things of God. (see 1 Cor 2:14).

PS I am male.

2007/6/13 7:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Moorsey asked:

Quote:
Why did God on the second day not declare His work as good?

Moorsey, I do not know the answer to this question because I am not aware it is addressed anywhere else in the Scripture. BUT I have an idea and this is nothing but pure speculation.

I enjoy cooking, baking, sewing. When I am in the beginning stages of any of these the work does not look impressive at all. However, once things start coming together afer some effort, I can tell it is going well and that it will yield the desired result, just like I thought it would. Perhaps this is what caused God to not commnent on the early stages of his creation.

Like I said this is nothing but pure speculation because I know people are this way and however flawed it is, we do have the image of God in us.

What are your thoughts?

ginnyrose

2007/6/13 8:51Profile
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

Moorsey,

We had a good discussion on that one in "The Second Day". http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16659&forum=36#129688

Regarding your question to Genesis 1 relating the re-creation of the world having a parallel to the spiritual new birth, I believe it does. Day 1 is a picture of regeneration (2 Cor. 4:6) and Day 7 ends with a picture of rest (Heb 4).

Have a blessed day enjoying a full Savior,

Ken

2007/6/13 9:13Profile
Moorsey

Re:

hi ginnyrose

I love your point about things coming together after time and effort. It gave me a great picture of a Christian growing spiritually. When things seem to be a complete mess for us and we go through trying times we can take great heart in the fact that we are constantly being shaped and moulded by God.

As for the second day of creation I just feel there must be some reason why God doesn't declare it as good. There may not be. One idea I have (which my granda gave me), and this may be nonsense, is that this was the day that opened the door for Satan to enter the created world. Just a thought.

2007/6/13 9:14Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Moorsey,

Let us stop and think for a moment.

Sin did not enter the world until Adam sinned by eating the forbidden fruit, as it is termed.

So satan, or Lucifer, could not have fallen until Adam sinned, after the seventh day.

It had to be after the seventh day, if you take into account what is written in Ezekiel 28.

Verse 13 says, 'You were in Eden, the garden of God...

The garden of Eden wasn't created until day 6.

In verse 12 it speaks about the king of Tyre.

Was the king of Tyre in the garden of Eden?

So what then is the writer referring to?

Verse 15 says, 'You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, till iniquity was found in you'.

Verse 16, '...therefore I cast you as a profane thing out of the mountain of God, and I destroyed you, O covering cherub, from the midst of the firey stones'.

Satan could not have fallen before day 6, because God declared everything good on day six, blessed the seventh day and rested, because what He had done was complete.

Just some food for thought.

God bless.

2007/6/13 9:28Profile
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Quote:

Moorsey wrote:
Why did God on the second day not declare His work as good?

Also does anybody have any thoughts on the other days of creation?

Here is a thought (or maybe just food for thought) of what God deems Good & Great
_____
Matthew 15:23-28
23But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.
24But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
25Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
26But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
27And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
28Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, GREAT is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.
_________

All of Gods glorious creation was labeled as GOOD; but this mere Canaanite that should have been destroyed by God's command earlier in the Bible: was described as GREAT in faith,

I haven't pulled out the Strong's, but I think there is a sermon in this Good - to - Great comparison

2007/6/13 9:45Profile
Moorsey

Re:

Ken

Thanks for directing me to that discussion. It is very interesting and deals with my question.

What a great website.

God Bless

2007/6/13 10:36Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
So what then is the writer referring to?

Verse 15 says, 'You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, till iniquity was found in you'.

Verse 16, '...therefore I cast you as a profane thing out of the mountain of God, and I destroyed you, O covering cherub, from the midst of the firey stones'.

Satan could not have fallen before day 6, because God declared everything good on day six, blessed the seventh day and rested, because what He had done was complete.

I think you may be mistaking the purpose of the Bible here. It is really the book of man's history; it speaks of his creation, purpose, fall, redemption and future. Other topics only come into the 'mix' as they affect 'man's story'.

Imagine two (although there are many more) circles which intersect so that a tiny part of belongs to both circles. One of those circles is 'man's story'. For the purpose of the illustration, the other circle is 'the angel's story'. It is only at the point of intersection that their story coincides with ours. There is much that we do not know about angels although some have followed their dangerous speculations into all kinds of theories. We really know all that we know from that tiny point of common ground in the intersection.

Consequently in Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28 we are getting tiny glimpses of things that have their impact on the human race but not the whole 'angel story'.

There is a reference in Ezekiel to the anointed cherub who 'walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire'; how would this fit into Genesis and the garden of Eden? I wonder whether this is the same Eden as that in which Adam and Eve walked.

I think that to synchronise Satan's fall with the events of the 6th day of 'man's story' is not really what the scripture is telling us.

As regards God's judging of things as 'good' we see that his first use of the word was not general but specific. [color=0000FF]And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. (Genesis 1:3-4 KJVS)[/color] It is 'the light' that God pronounces as 'good' not necessarily what it illuminated. The 2nd day's reorganisation of waters into 'under the firmament' and 'above the firmament' is a process that seems to continue into the first part of the 3rd day in which land is separated from water. The verdict then of 'it is good' surely includes the preparatory work of the 2nd day?

2007/6/13 11:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy