SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : the church is to comforting

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
coolcap2007

the church is to comforting

first of all, can someone let me know where that old testament scripture is that says something about how i forgot what they were but maybe the people in the town told people to leave cus they didnt want to hear the truth of gods word since it was not what they wanted since they would have to change and be more like god obviously........................now for my question....
i talked to a man who said that he is glad there are different denominations. he said that each denomination can help different kinds of people. maybe one denomination can be all about conviction, and maybe another can be all about preaching nice comforting things, but that this is good because in this way some people who need comforting things can get that and some people can get convicting things based on what they need. Now i told him that jesus offended people most of the time, and actually i think jesus offended and said convicting things all the time, but if im wrong can someone correct me...anyways then he said what about when jesus was comforting to that prositute, and then he said "see, jesus never always said convicting things" how can i explain to him that church needs conviction in a loving way all at the same time. i help this church sometimes and they are very open to me, and they want to listen to me usually but i need to know how to let them know through scripture, by showing them jesus always convicted and offended to get the true followers to stay usually. this church is all about nice fuzzy feelings and not preaching anything about change or becoming more like jesus. Its very boring. and they want to know how to make the church grow and i want to tell them they need to preach like the bible shows, but i need scripture proof. they hardly have anyone and the youth are all leaving. They say that they need basketball courts and swings and things for the youth and that the praise band needs to grow and that then youth will want to come and they can have bible studies. I told them that they need to come cus they want to come to bible studies, and then it we trust god and have the youth grow first with god then more will come,but they said theres a business side and a bible study side and that the youth needs to see that christians also have fun, yet the youth that are with us are not that strong in their faith, and i dont consider myself too mature either.

2007/6/11 18:22Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: the church is to comforting

Hi coolcap2007, nice to have you here.

The most dangerous place in the world is a church where there is no conviction of the Holy Spirit, where you can be comfortable in your sins and in the way in which you live, where there is no constant call for holiness and constant challenge of your walk with God, no matter how spiritual you are.

Absolutely the church should not lack also a comfortable and encouraging messages, but there is no greater comfort then to be in close walk with the Lord, and in order this to be reality we need to be cleansed of every sin.

The Lord Jesus is putting very high demands in order to follow Him and be His disciple.

Joh 6:60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, [b]This is an hard saying; who can hear it? [/b]
Joh 6:61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?

Joh 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, [b]and walked no more with him.[/b]
Joh 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, [b]Will ye also go away? [/b]
Joh 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Dear brother, I encourage you to search the Gospels and make notes of our Lord's words about His demands to be His disciple.

You might also want to check these articles connected with this subject:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=14895]The Church of the Comfortable and Tolerant[/url]

Maybe you can print out and share this article with the youth group there:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3821&forum=34]The Gathering - The best youth meeting ever[/url]

Your brother,
Kire

2007/6/11 18:55Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re:

Tears of Joy wrote:

Quote:

The most dangerous place in the world is a church where there is no conviction of the Holy Spirit, where you can be comfortable in your sins and in the way in which you live, where there is no constant call for holiness and constant challenge of your walk with God, no matter how spiritual you are.

Brother Kire, this is so true. Thank you for sharing this. I would rather leave church cut to the heart and weeping for days because of conviction of sin than to be given words of false comfort that leave me unchanged.

2007/6/11 21:32Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
anyways then he said what about when jesus was comforting to that prositute, and then he said "see, jesus never always said convicting things"

"Go and sin no more"

Quote:
Its very boring. and they want to know how to make the church grow and i want to tell them they need to preach like the bible shows, but i need scripture proof. they hardly have anyone and the youth are all leaving. They say that they need basketball courts and swings and things for the youth and that the praise band needs to grow and that then youth will want to come and they can have bible studies. I told them that they need to come cus they want to come to bible studies, and then it we trust god and have the youth grow first with god then more will come,but they said theres a business side and a bible study side and that the youth needs to see that christians also have fun, yet the youth that are with us are not that strong in their faith, and i dont consider myself too mature either.

Perhaps you are more mature than you know to take recognition of these things. The problem with the two sides is that they are a whole and as long as that distinction is there both 'sides' will suffer. Perhaps some audio messages from here might be a possibility as well, as Kire mentioned.

2007/6/11 21:47Profile

Re:

Quote:
this church is all about nice fuzzy feelings and not preaching anything about change or becoming more like jesus.

Quote:
The most dangerous place in the world is a church where there is no conviction of the Holy Spirit

First off I am speaking only of the quotes and not the quoters...

The Church is a living body, the saints in whom Christ dwells. There will always be conviction on sin where the Spirit of Christ is and a transforming of hearts and minds to be more like Him.

We need to stop calling the babylonian institutional system "the church", when by and large it is not the Church at all. People who belong to the true Church may be partaking in Babylons religous community at the current time and meeting at their steeple houses, but I believe if we see a true move of God these same people will "come out of here" and "touch not her unclean alters".

Just because people meet in a building and call it "church" does not make it so.

In Christ - Jim

2007/6/12 8:54
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Hi Jim,

I agree with all you said about the institutional church which is not "the church".

But...

I am thinking of the seven churches in Revelation to whom Christ is giving a message.

Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence [b]thou art fallen, and repent[/b], and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

I believe that from many, many churches the candlestick has been removed already and they are just everything else, but not a place where Christ is dwelling.
But there are also churches that Christ is still calling them [b]churches,[/b] and He is serving them a warning [i]right now,[/i] warning like the one to the churches in Revelation.

Rev 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Rev 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

I believe that the Lord is still giving a space to some churches in which He once dwelled.
Before to act, every time He is giving a warning. Someone didn't hear that warning and the candlestick is removed. But for someone there is still chance.

Rev 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, [b]that are ready to die:[/b] for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

The Lord is already out in many churches, but let us not forget that:

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

And in the end:

Rev 3:22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith [b]unto the churches. [/b]

2007/6/12 9:36Profile
LiveforGod

Hello:coolcap2007

Quote:
i talked to a man who said that he is glad there are different denominations

Well, I think that the man who said this must not be as well with God as he may think because in John 17:21 we read: "that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me."I do not thnk that any person whom loves God would be glad that there would be so much confussion and lack of unity in the church, as in the case of the many denominations there are today.

Quote:
but that this is good because in this way some people who need comforting things can get that and some people can get convicting things based on what they need.

That is not good because then the denomination preaching either of them only and not together are censoring the word of God and taking out of it only what is convenient to their doctrins.By the way that is comdemed by the Bible in Revelation 22:19.If the Bible is going to be preached then let everything in it be preached, if not then let it not be preached at all.
Quote:
and they want to know how to make the church grow and i want to tell them they need to preach like the bible shows

Amen to that.

Quote:
They say that they need basketball courts and swings and things for the youth

I'm afraid of that frase because it reveals the lack of the Holy Spirit.When you have the Holy Spirit you do not need 'Entretainment' so that people would come.You may need 'Entretainment if you want them to come to a particular denomination, but you sure dont need it if you want them to come to God himself.

My friend I would advise you to pray as much as you can for them(I will be doing so to)and just open your heart to the scriptures and let God use your life for the benefit of others around you. God bless

2007/6/14 17:55Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

dear coolcap,

thank you for posting this conversation.. i do not know much, but this much i do know. Like this brother you're talking about, many have forsaken knowing God and have settled for "doing church" and "having fun". If we eat from this world and our desires, we will no longer be hungry for the True Bread of Life..

2007/6/14 18:10Profile
LiveforGod

Re:

Quote:
If we eat from this world and our desires, we will no longer be hungry for the True Bread of Life..

Thank you:Lovehim. Those words are very true.

2007/6/14 18:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy