SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : In a rut..

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

In a rut..

I feel like I am stuck in a spititual rut lately. I work as a computer technician for a school district and its my job to keep in touch with the times,technologically speaking. What I am finding lately is I am spending more time on the internet and less time in GODS word. I have such a growing dissatisfaction about it also. This is really the only website that brings me joy but when I go on the internet,intending to research for my job, I find myself all over the place! How can I get a handle on things before GOD intervenes and does things the hard way?
GOD Bless
John

2007/6/11 12:04Profile
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re: In a rut..

I will pray for your situation;
I feel the same often, & attribute it mostly to not living out the truth that has already been revealed through the scriptures and as you stated: GOD intervenes and does things the hard way.

(Complacent---- is the word that comes to mind, (at lest in my, struggles)
1. pleased, esp. with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect; self-satisfied)
__

But praise be to God, that he lets us know when we are out of step

I will save the scriptural advice for those better versed, & Look forward to hear from the brethren on this issue also.

2007/6/11 12:34Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi jamccor...!

My brother-in-law is actually employed in a similar capacity at a local school district! He tries his best to limit his time on the internet to things that are relevant to his job and education.

I will be praying for you. Remember that a "rut" is sometimes just a "season" that God uses to grab our attention. At other times, it's a depression that comes from the result of the war between our fleshly mind and our spiritual mind endeavoring to seek the knowledge of God. Regardless, the Lord is everpresent to help us. We must simply remember that He is always available -- always longing -- to put His arms around us and comfort us with the sweet intimacy of His fellowship.

I pray that you will be encouraged in His friendship!

:-)

2007/6/11 13:21Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

I appreciate all the prayers and advice. It could be a season,like you mentioned.Its a longing to be more faithful to HIM and the inability,so it seems, on my part to do so.I'm sure we all go through it, but sometimes, I feel like Im all alone in this battle.It is hard to figure out what is me and what is from the evil one.How do I seperate what is of the flesh and what is of the devil?
GOD Bless
John

2007/6/11 13:38Profile

Re:

Brother, God bless confession. It's a beautiful thing to the Lord and his people, though not to the world. But that's just it --- we know where the world is going.

They say we should have brethren to be accountable to.

These men here are praying with you. Remember them, whenever tempted.

Lord Bless your cry to be Seperate from the world.

annie
praying too

2007/6/11 14:19
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: In a Rut

John, I usually find that these ruts, or seasons, are actually full of attacks from the devil.

I'm not a demon freak, but I will admit that Lucifer is awfully good at distracting us.

And so in the world and the flesh.

The only way I stay even reasonably sane is to meet with God every morning before I do anything else, and even then the 'things to do' list is pressing on me.

Turn the world off, the computer off, your family off, if you have one, get up early, and talk to God about it.

I will pray for you, and for me, and for us all, for this is a dangerous time.

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/6/15 21:57Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

Quote:
is I am spending more time on the internet and less time in GODS word. I have such a growing dissatisfaction about it also. This is really the only website that brings me joy but when I go on the internet,intending to research for my job, I find myself all over the place! How can I get a handle on things before GOD intervenes and does things the hard way?

I here you brother, This has been my struggle at times...It was never a promble, because I never had a computer. But now it right there, any time. I have found, I have to put rules and draw lines. Such when I get on, how long. It has helped so much. God's word should come frist. I agree I have done this and it makes me very sad. Agian I put how much time, I can be on line. The things even if I mean good, I am weak. you know where you are weak. Pray and pray.

I am praying
charlene

2007/6/15 22:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
I appreciate all the prayers and advice. It could be a season,like you mentioned.Its a longing to be more faithful to HIM and the inability,so it seems, on my part to do so.I'm sure we all go through it, but sometimes, I feel like Im all alone in this battle.It is hard to figure out what is me and what is from the evil one.How do I seperate what is of the flesh and what is of the devil?

In one of William Nicholson's sermons (available here on SI), he says, "You listen to sermons, he'll leave you alone. You go to church, he'll leave you alone. You read your Bible, he'll leave you alone. But you start praying... and the devil will send everything he's got your way, right or wrong, to distract you from your communion with Jesus." (paraphrased)

About being alone:

I'd like to tell you you can rely on us or others in the Christian community to help you out - but that's a lie.

"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man." (PSALM 118:8)

"Take ye heed every one of his neighbour, and trust ye not in any brother: for every brother will utterly supplant, and every neighbour will walk with slanders." (JER 9:4)

"Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD." (JER 17:5)

"Trust ye not in a friend, put ye not confidence in a guide: keep the doors of thy mouth from her that lieth in thy bosom." (MICAH 7:5)

You are victorious if and only if you trust the LORD alone:

"Ye shall not fear them: for the LORD your God he shall fight for you." (DEUT 3:22)

"For I will surely deliver thee, and thou shalt not fall by the sword, but thy life shall be for a prey unto thee: because thou hast put thy trust in me, saith the LORD." (JER 39:18)

"The LORD [is] good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him." (NAH 1:7)

"The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence." (II SAM 22:3)

"Call no man your father upon the earth; for one is your father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters, for one is your Master, even Christ." (MATT 23:9-10)

"But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead." (II COR 1:9)

The Bible is replete with admonitions to "come out", "remain seperate", "trust God exclusively"... and "not to trust man". Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, the prophets, John the Baptist, Jesus, and the Apostles were all called to come out, be distinct, and be hated of men.

I feel for your aloneness. I really do. But even A.W. Tozer admitted that aloneness is part of the cost of discipleship. And the more you pray, read the scripture, and long for your Lord and New Jerusalem, the more you'll be like Him. The more like Him you become, the less comfortable you'll be in this world around these people - even professing Christians will seem alien.

Because you're not of this world like He's not of this world.

Sobering, isn't it?

2007/6/15 22:57
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Flesh and the devil

Quote:
I'd like to tell you you can rely on us or others in the Christian community to help you out - but that's a lie.

Well, it is by your exageratted exegesis here. Ultimatley of course not but we are to weep with those who weep and rejoice likewise. I think you have your 'Brethren' mixed up here.

2Co 13:9 For we are glad when we are weak and you are strong. Your restoration is what we pray for.

Col 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

Rom 15:30 Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

2Th 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:

Heb 13:18 Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.

Phm 1:22 But withal prepare me also a lodging: for I trust that through your prayers I shall be given unto you.

1Th 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.

2007/6/15 23:51Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

John how are you doing?
charlene

2007/6/18 8:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy