SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Have you died like George Muller died?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Have you died like George Muller died?

"There was a day when I died, utterly died; and, as he spoke, he bent lower and lower until he almost touched the floor - died to George Muller, his opinions, preferences, tastes and will- died to the world, its approval or censure - died to the approval or blame even of my brethren and friends and since then I have studied only to show myself approved unto God."

George Muller

2007/6/10 15:19
JennRich

Alabama

Re: Have you died like George Muller died?

I love this, thank you. . . I need to read it every single day, because dying to self is so necessary for the Christian life, and yet so foreign to the natural mind.

2007/6/10 16:29Profile
Talkn2u

I am currently reading the George Muller story, and can only take on bit by bit...

it is putting everything else in my life, into proper perspective

I once again realize where I have not died...

"I" keep getting in the way of true LIFE !!!

2007/6/10 22:20Profile

He died to sin and self on ONE specific day. Now there may have been a progressive to work to bring him to this point, but this death to sin was not progressive at all.

2007/6/11 5:47
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

HmmHmm posted this sermon a while back in
(SermonIndex "Gems")

[url=http://64.34.176.235/sermons/SID15058.mp3](Biographies) George Mueller by John Piper[/url]

A Very Powerful Message

2007/6/11 10:27Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Is this excerpt saying that on a certain particular day George Mueller died completely and once and for all to sin and self? If so, it could be said that on this particular day, George Mueller [i]arrived[/i]. But this is not even what the Apostle Paul achieved.

I believe that on a certain particular day we can [i]resolve[/i] to follow the Savior...and after that [i]die daily[/i]. But surrender is daily and on-going. Many Christians beat their heads against the wall, saying "When will I die like George Mueller?" But on-going obedience and daily surrender is a choice, a desire expressed and fueled through heart-prayer, the Holy Spirit renewal of our inner men by the Word of God, the God-breathed revelation to our spirits of what Christ has done by the power of His blood. But all this is nothing if we fail to look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith. Looking to Jesus is a daily choice we make!

Obviously, there is no finality here on earth. Even Leonard Ravenhill, after walking 70 years with God, said the same. We fight every inch of the way, battling flesh, temptation, spiritual foes. When we surrender to God, we strap our armour on all the tighter! I think there will always be something to fight, and there will always a possibility to fall in the fight if we are not careful to maintain our armour and look to Jesus.

When we hear that someone has finally "died" to sin and self, what does that mean? Finality for all time? But Paul died [i]daily[/i]. The implications seem to mean that each day for him was a new funeral.

What do you think?

Brother Paul

2007/6/11 10:50Profile
repentcanada

WHAT A QUOTE!

2007/6/11 11:04Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

I for one have very much appreciated the testimony of George Mueller. His life has been to me an example of the faith that the bible declares that we should have. I am reminded of the words of Gamaliel in Acts 5, "for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God." How is it possible to receive what George did without true faith and the seal of the Spirit?
Yet, why should we be any diffent?

2007/6/11 11:50Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Is this excerpt saying that on a certain particular day George Mueller died completely and once and for all to sin and self?

Hi Paul,

I think in this quote it is more the dealing of what was George Muellers' 'one thing you lack' the ellicited that response.

2007/6/11 14:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy