SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are we putting words in the mouth of God?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Are we putting words in the mouth of God?

I was asked the other day what I thought about songs in which the lyrics are written as God speaking to us first person. For example the last three verses of the hymn [i]How Firm a Foundation.[/i] Their concern is that it is presumptuous to sing as if it were God speaking. I'm not ssure how I feel about it yet but I think there might be something to it. It would kind of seem like it would be presuming that God is saying something that He isn't. Songs that are exact or almost exact quotes from scripture don't raise a question in my mind at all. Songs like [i]Be Still and Know That I Am God[/i]. But I'm really not sure about the other type. Anyway, I was just wondering what you all thought. God bless!

2007/6/4 17:28Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Are putting words in the mouth of God?

Quote:

running2win wrote:
I was asked the other day what I thought about songs in which the lyrics are written as God speaking to us first person. For example the last three verses of the hymn [i]How Firm a Foundation.[/i] Their concern is that it is presumptuous to sing as if it were God speaking. I'm not ssure how I feel about it yet but I think there might be something to it. It would kind of seem like it would be presuming that God is saying something that He isn't. Songs that are exact or almost exact quotes from scripture don't raise a question in my mind at all. Songs like [i]Be Still and Know That I Am God[/i]. But I'm really not sure about the other type. Anyway, I was just wondering what you all thought. God bless!

How Firm a Foundation is taken from Isaiah 41:10, Isaiah 43:2, 2 Corinthians 12:9, and Hebrews 13:5, it’s almost straight scripture. It’s one of my favorites.

As for your question, we know what God wants for us. We know He is Holy, Just, Righteous, Honorable…the list goes on. We know that he requires obedience to His Word. We know his commands.

I don’t think rephrasing it into different words is necessarily wrong…as long has the above mentioned facts are taken into consideration…as long as it doesn’t contradict scripture.

If we are in the Word we will recognize the Father’s voice.

2007/6/4 19:13Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Quote:
It’s one of my favorites.

I have also greatly appreciated the hymn as well but I just mentioned it because it was the specific one mentioned by the man who asked me.
Quote:
How Firm a Foundation is taken from Isaiah 41:10, Isaiah 43:2, 2 Corinthians 12:9, and Hebrews 13:5, it’s almost straight scripture.

This I did not realize and takes away the question about this particular hymn. Songs taken from scripture don't even raise a question in my mind like I mentioned earlier.

2007/6/5 8:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy