SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Let’s talk about commentaries

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Let’s talk about commentaries

A retired missionary gave me the entire set of John Calvin's commentaries... it's pretty good stuff, and not as much into calvinism as I thought it would be.

2007/5/31 10:01Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

I really like Adam Clarke and John Wesley. They both have good insights.

Jordan

2007/5/31 17:56Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

To my opinion i will list 3 commenteries as the best and they are equally important to me.Listed in chronological order :

- Mathew Henry
- Adam Clark
- William Macdonald

Henry is a great calvinist bible expositor + Clark a great arminian methodist expositor can help you find a theological balance and powerful & deep insights in the word of God.

William Macdonald who was a well known teacher of plymouth brethren does a great job on rightly dividing the word of God, especially when the bible talks about deffrent dispensations,prophecies to be fulfilled, eschatology, end times,tribulation period, 1000 reign of Christ,ect, ect.

I have read very very little portions from the 3 mentioned teachers commentaries but it's my spiritual conviction they are some of the best bible expositors.

2007/5/31 18:38Profile
caldwell1

Rockland MA

I also enjoy Matthew Henry's alot i have the one volume set and that's fine and portable too.Nelson also has a nice cheap one called the "King James Bible Commentary"I enjoy John Courson's commentaries two volumes old, one volume New Testament these are culled from His sermons very modern and practical.Barnes commentaries are great too.J.Vernon McGee's Thru the Bible series is fine and any of Alfred Edersheim's commentaries are good too!
Love in Christ
Brian

2007/5/31 22:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
A retired missionary gave me the entire set of John Calvin's commentaries... it's pretty good stuff, and not as much into calvinism as I thought it would be.

:-)

2007/6/1 0:00Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
Quote:

:-)

I'm really blessed. The first time I was over at his house he pulled out boxes and started filling them with books. He gave me 65 books in all the first time that I was there -Andrew Murray, AW Tozer, Whitfield, Spurgeon, Wesley, Mueller, Reese Howell, Sadhu Sundar Singh, John Hyde etc.

Ever time I visit his house I recieve so much encouragement and blessing (and usually a book or two).

2007/6/1 2:38Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i have the MH commentary and i find it very good and im thinking of getting this one [url=http://www.amgpublishers.com/www/docs/126.53/parallel-commentary-nt.html?PHPSESSID=ebc57d594d68bcb8752aade65da8ae0f]Spurgeon,Wesley,Henry Parallel Commentary on the New Testament[/url]

2007/6/1 3:56Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

That does look awesome!

2007/6/1 9:47Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
i have the MH commentary and i find it very good and im thinking of getting this one Spurgeon,Wesley,Henry Parallel Commentary on the New Testament

I have this….it’s very disappointing. It sounds really good, but it’s just parts of sermons by Wesley in which he may have mentioned the verse you want to get comments on. Same with the Spurgeon part.

2007/6/1 10:36Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

tjservant wrote:
Quote:
i have the MH commentary and i find it very good and im thinking of getting this one Spurgeon,Wesley,Henry Parallel Commentary on the New Testament

I have this….it’s very disappointing. It sounds really good, but it’s just parts of sermons by Wesley in which he may have mentioned the verse you want to get comments on. Same with the Spurgeon part.

thank you for this info, i have been waiting to buy this. I dont buy if i do not know how the inside is....it "sounded" very good.... :-(

2007/6/1 11:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy