Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Good Shepherd, Alexander Maclaren

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

The Good Shepherd, Alexander Maclaren

The Good Shepherd
John 10:14
“I am the Good Shepherd.” Perhaps even Christ never spoke more fruitful words than these. Just think how many solitary, wearied hearts they have cheered, and what a wealth of encouragement and comfort there has been in them for all generations. The little child as it lays itself down to sleep, cries—“Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me, bless Thy little lamb to-night;” and the old man lays himself down to die murmuring to himself, “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me.” “I am the Good Shepherd.”… In all their sweet, homely simplicity [these words] appeal to every heart.…
“I know My sheep.” That is a knowledge like the knowledge of the shepherd, a bond of close intimacy. But He does not know them by reason of looking at them and thinking about them. It is something far more blessed than that. He knows me because He loves me; He knows me because He has sympathy with me, and I know Him … by my love, and I know Him by my sympathy, and I know Him by my communion.… The Shepherd’s love is an individualised love … “And My sheep know Me”—not by force of intellect, not by understanding certain truths, all-important as that may be, but by having our hearts harmonised in Him, and our spirits put into sympathy and communion with Him. “They know Me,” and rest comes with the knowledge; “they know Me,” and in that knowing is the best answer to all doubt and fear. They are exposed to danger, but in the fold they can go quietly to rest, for they know He is at the door watching through all dangers.
(Alexander Maclaren, Exposition of Holy Scripture)

2007/5/28 10:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy