SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is the sunday holy?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Is the sunday holy?

My girlfriend and I had a discussion if we could go swimming on sunday.
The reason not to go, according to her was that we would let other people work.

Now I questioned the assumption behind this why it would be bad to let someone work on sunday. The sunday is not the sabbath, which we don't have to keep.
I know its good to go to 'assembly' as its stated in Hebrews 10:25.
Now most churches have their services on sunday, but it might as well be on thursday, right?

Would I be in error if I would state that we don't especially have to seek God on sunday but everyday? Or is the sunday holy? (And are we not allowed to go swimming)

Shalom,
Jonathan

2007/5/27 8:53Profile
heartablaze

Re: Is the sunday holy?

I remember as a child dealing with this very question. I don't see it as inherently wrong, but perhaps you could ask yourself if you oculd be ministering to people or fellowshiping with them instead... On Chariots of Fire, the main character( a real person) never ran on Sunday because he saw it as work... I hope this bump will let someone else see the thread so that they can respond better than I, because I am unsure on the whole issue.
At the moment, I usually do set aside Sunday as a day of reflection and rest, simply because of the franticness of my whole week. I don't konw if causing another to work while doing this is good or bad, but would they be doing it anyway?

2007/5/27 14:58Profile

Re: Is the sunday holy?

In Matthew 24, Jesus speaks of the placing of the "abomination of desolation". He tells everyone to flee whatever you're doing...

"But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day..." (24:20)

If you've read the Apocryphal books Macabees 1 and 2 - which are histories of what happened during the 400 year gulf between the Old and New Testaments - you'd know that the Jews wouldn't fight on the Sabbath. Even when the remnant was on the run in the mountains, and the enemy were just days (or hours) behind them), they would camp and pray on the Sabbath.

However, Jesus also said:

"The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath..." (MARK 2:27)

My opinion is that Sunday is the Christian's Sabbath. It is a gift from God for prayer, rest, and reflection. We ought not to make others' work if we ourselves aren't to work (the Old Testament states to even let our barnyard animals rest). And yet, Jesus points out that the Sabbath serves us, and we don't serve it - so if you need to go to the hospital, go.

I remember a time, twenty years or so back, when malls, pools, and conveinience stores in North America were closed on Sundays. Twenty years was all it took.

We've fallen so far.

2007/5/27 15:28

Re:

Quote:
My opinion is that Sunday is the Christian's Sabbath. It is a gift from God for prayer, rest, and reflection.

what scriptures do you support this with?

2007/5/27 17:11

Re:

Quote:
what scriptures do you support this with?

None. It's my opinion, like I said. When humans and animals, and even pastures, rest for a time, they regenerate. For humans, this gives us time to pray, reflect and regenerate our minds, hearts, and bodies. Farmers do the same with the land, and it rejuvenates.

If Christians had decided to keep Saturday as the day of rest, that would be fine with me, too. But who am I to undo 2000 years of tradition?

I'm no Seventh Day Adventist!

2007/5/27 18:39
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

I started a post about this a while ago. Can anyone on here find it and post the link on here?

I'll try searching for it, but I'm not very good at it. :-P

Jordan

2007/5/27 21:20Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

I know that this may bewilder some of you, but
check these scriptures in its plainest and simplest sense before jumping to other conclusions.

Col 2:16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

and

Romans 14:5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

9 out of 10 commandents are to be kept in the new covenant. Jesus gives us liberty with the Sabbath because he is the Lord of the Sabbath. This is why he deliberately healed on a Sabbath. The reality is found in Christ.

What would a Christian slave serving a pagan Master have done in the 1st century? He had no choice but to work on the Sabbath or be killed.
The master would have thought the slave wanted an excuse for laziness.
Although I think it is beneficial to rest on Sunday, but it is ok not to - when your conscience allows it.

Philip

2007/5/27 22:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy