SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What should a Christian do when overtaken by a particular sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Here4Him

England

What should a Christian do when overtaken by a particular sin?

What should a Christian do when overtaken by a particular sin, i mean so overtaken that there are nearly drowing in it and it has risen up from the place where once it was put down and mortified to dominate the person and overwhelm and even control them. I mean to the degree where a man or woman cant seem to get free of this one sin and this sin has seemingly sucked all the spiritual life out of the person so it feels as though there is none left.

What should a Christian do when a sin has thus overtaken them. To back this up scripturely i refer to Galatians 6:1 and would appreciate your comments on this verse.

"Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted."

Can a true Christian indeed by so overtaken by any particular sin that it begins to enslave him or her again? Or is this a definite sign that the person was never truly saved and currently is lost? Again i would refer you back to Gal 6:1 for the correct interpretation of it and also Psalm 40:12 when the usually godly David says:

"For innumerable evils have surrounded me;My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up; They are more than the hairs of my head; Therefore my heart fails me."

So what should the Christian do in this situation where his or her heart has been hardened through the deceitfulness of sin, his conscience desensitised to sin and His power to morify sin almost non existant and his will to do so losing to his will to sin. When that sin is no longer followed by such extremes of remorse and godly sorrow as it once was when he first committed it?

Is there hope for such a person?

2007/5/25 13:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: What should a Christian do when overtaken by a particular sin?

It is [b]not[/b] God's will for Christians to be dominated or ruled over by sin. God wrote the epistle of 1 John that "we sin not"!!

"My little children, these things write I unto you [b]that ye sin not[/b].." - 1 John 2:1

Never make a treaty with sin, if you don't flee from it and weep over it you are in danger of hell-fire. If you are truly born of the spirit of God you will never be "at peace" in sin.

Here is a exhoration I hope really is sobering in this situation:

"But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness." - 1 Timothy 6:11

FLEE!!!!! I recommend you listen to this message below:

[b]God's Bloodhound by Rolfe Barnard[/b]
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=15385

2007/5/25 13:59Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Brother/Sister?
Though the Scriptures alone are our source for truth, God has providentially left a witness through men of the past who truly walked with God, and instructed the people of God. Below are links to three books written by Puritan authors that are a very great blessing. If you cannot afford to buy them, look for them on the web, they are wonderful.
[url=http://www.monergismbooks.com/bruisedreed.html]The Bruised Reed[/url]

[url=http://www.monergismbooks.com/allthings4782.html]All Things For Good[/url]

If you can only afford one, get this one
[url=http://www.monergismbooks.com/liftingup2984.html]A Lifting Up For The Downcast[/url]

And just to kind of kick your thoughts into gear, did God ever cast off Israel. or did He chasten them to drive out the rebellion? Has He changed?
Not making any excuses for sin, but also knowing there are times that even our sin though not authored by God is used to chasten us and drive us to Christ. Thus we can trust that all things are working together for good.

The bottom line is if the person is grieved and fighting against this sin, or if the fight has gone out, and like the pig takes to the mud so this one takes to this sin, and abides in it comfortably. However though pigs love mud, cats do not and will immediately clean themselves. Nature dictates which is which. I hope you see the point in this poor illustration.

2007/5/25 14:14Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The bottom line is if the person is grieved and fighting against this sin, or if the fight has gone out, and like the pig takes to the mud so this one takes to this sin, and abides in it comfortably. However though pigs love mud, cats do not and will immediately clean themselves. Nature dictates which is which. I hope you see the point in this poor illustration.

I believe if there is any conviction or "fight" in the person they need to be strongly exhorated to flee from the wrath to come and the sin that wants to drag them to hell. Sinning is not playing games but is a dangerous evil that is unmeasurable. The only accurate measurement is the death of God's own Son. We need to think of sin as it is.

I highly recommend you read this article also:

[b]THE GREAT SINFULNESS OF SIN by Greg Gordon[/b]
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15668&forum=16

2007/5/25 14:17Profile

Re:

Just look to the Saviour.

2007/5/25 14:31
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
I believe if there is any conviction or "fight" in the person they need to be strongly exhorated to flee from the wrath to come and the sin that wants to drag them to hell. Sinning is not playing games but is a dangerous evil that is unmeasurable. The only accurate measurement is the death of God's own Son. We need to think of sin as it is.

It is a shame that we have lost that very idea of "the sinfulness of sin" and how great our Saviour is to save from sin. Because of our low view of sin, we have a low view of the Deliverer. May god help us to see the great offence of our sin, and as you said "flee" straight to the Mercy Seat of God.

It is hard to flee from what entices, and thus may God also change the desires of our hearts, and grant us grace not only to flee, but to fight, and keep under this fallen body of death.

2007/5/25 14:35Profile
Baohongen

Runge, TX USA

Re: A Few Points

The brother in 1 Corintians 5:1 was overtaken by sin. I wonder if he may be the repentant one mentioned in 2 Corinthians 2:6-7. Paul told them to "hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord."
I do not claim to fully understand what all that means. I have found some cases though where I felt it was important that the church let the Holy Spirit work instead of trying to "save" the sinner from his misery. Sometimes in church we try to rescue people from the consequences of their sin rather than let the Holy Spirit use those to bring them to repentance. In all things we must let the Spirit lead.
Paul continually called the church away from sin to live in the fullness of their calling in Christ. I expect he gave that call to sincere Christians as the Galatians 6 passage warns that even the spiritual persons who attempt to restore others must be careful of temptation.
One final point that I would like to add to the discussion: It is important to note that those passages that relate to church discipline have the goal of restoration in mind. Sin is incredibly destructive, and we should never let it find a home in our hearts, but when we see a brother or sister enslaved again, our heart's desire ought to be for their restoration. Any action we take must be motivated with that heart.

2007/5/25 14:57Profile

Hi Here4Him,

It is tempting for a Christian to wonder if they ever were saved, or to begin to think of victory as unattainable. But before there can be the victory which would assure them salvation is at work in their life, they must have made a decision deep in their heart, to do whatever it takes to be delivered, and, for them to expect their co-operation with God to be tested.

This matter of reaching a decision is something they do in their heart with God. They may ask for someone else to hear confession of this decision, so the enemy can't play with their mind afterwards, but, the outworking of that decision has to be the responsibility of the Christian who needs victory. They have to be [i]set[/i] on obtaining the victory in fact.

This word 'set' appears in phrases like 'set his heart upon', 'set his mind to', 'set sail', or, as God has 'set His love on us', which make the outcome more of a foregone conclusion, because of the [i]setting[/i] which has already been done.

Till that state of heart is reached, and the need for that setting been acknowledged by the 'sinner', not much change is likely.

But, there is an additional burden of bondage to be broken in the outworking of the setting. This happens through repeated acts of [i]not sinning[/i] and may take all the longer to work through, the more often the sin has been committed.

This may not be the same for someone who has committed the same sin in ignorance, then been saved, then stopped the sin for good.

The breaking of bondage is the work of a few honest words before God, but, the outworking of the release is genuine sweat and tears, while the body is forced (by the Christian) to do God's will again and again and again and again. No compromise. No short cuts. No relapses.

2007/5/25 16:24
ReviveUsLord

Macedonia

Quote:
Here4Him wrote:
What should a Christian do when overtaken by a particular sin, i mean so overtaken that there are nearly drowing in it and it has risen up from the place where once it was put down and mortified to dominate the person and overwhelm and even control them. I mean to the degree where a man or woman cant seem to get free of this one sin and this sin has seemingly sucked all the spiritual life out of the person so it feels as though there is none left.

I think the reason this has happened is perhaps found in the last paragraph you wrote:

Quote:
So what should the Christian do in this situation where his or her heart has been hardened through the deceitfulness of sin, his conscience desensitised to sin and His power to morify sin almost non existant and his will to do so losing to his will to sin. When that sin is no longer followed by such extremes of remorse and godly sorrow as it once was when he first committed it?

Deceitfulness of sin is usually greater in our weak areas and that's exactly where we're tempted to sin. If we are not at watch for the roaring lion, which "walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" we are open to be seduced to sin.

Now I don't think it's a matter of salvation, though such doubts can arise in the heart, since you say that in the beginning this sin caused great "remorse and godly sorrow", so I don't think this person is comfortable in this sin even though the heart is more hardened now. The heart is hardened because this sin has occured more times but is the conscience fully pacified and at home with it?

While I agree with my brethren who replied before me that we have to think of sin as it is, a great dangerous evil, so great that it costed the very death of God's Son, I think we need to equally remember God's "ready to forgive" nature when we repent.

Psa 86:5 For thou, Lord, [art] good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.

Mic 7:18 Who [is] a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth [in] mercy.

I think it's very important to have the right attitude about God before you try to deal with the problem. God is always FOR us and wants us to overcome sin and he has given us all that is necessary for that (2Pe.1:3). He is our helper in overcoming temptation, our father that awaits us expectantly with open arms to return to Him, and not the one who condemns us (Rom.8:34). Keeping this in mind will keep us off the "struggling" thoughts, where we focus on ourselves as if we were expected to overcome sin by our own efforts.
I'd like to share some thoughts from O.Chambers that spoke to me recently:
"We are in danger of forgetting that we cannot do what God does, and that God will not do what we can do. We cannot save nor sanctify ourselves— God does that. But God will not give us good habits or character, and He will not force us to walk correctly before Him." (you can read the rest of the article [url=http://www.rbc.org/utmost/index.php?month=05&day=10&year=07]here[/url].)

So having this clear in mind, then I think can we set our heart on obtaining the victory as dorcas said, and do all that it is in our hands to avoid this sin and flee from it.

I think that the greatest victory over sin is obtainable when we focus our mind on the things of God, when we fill our heart with meditations upon Him (His nature), which will help us realize the awful nature of sin and God's hatred of it and at the same time will help us set our whole heart not to sin and allow to be led by the Spirit of God.

2007/5/25 19:52Profile

Quote:
What should a Christian do when overtaken by a particular sin

The purpose of your besetting sin is to drive you to the LORD. The only solution is the word of God and prayer. There are those who believe in the deliverance ministry of casting out devils. I've been in deliverance sessions having the so called devil cast out of me for a certain besetting sin to no avail. However the LORD has told me to dig into the word and to seek His face.

This all sounds great in theory, but when you've sinned, you feel terrible and the last thing you want to do is read the bible or even pray. But I want to drive the thought home, we need to get our minds off ourselves. Sin is a real issue in our lives, and Jesus Christ paid the ransom for our sins HE IS WORTHY TO TAKE AWAY OUR SINS. In other words, HE DESIRES YOU TO COME TO HIM AND MAKE CONFESSION. When you make confession, WE ARE ACKNOWLEDGING THAT HE INDEED TOOK AWAY OUR SINS AND THAT HE IS LORD.

This is a great encouragment for the believer, instead of thinking that the LORD is displeased with us because we have failed, be encouraged, GO TO HIM IMMEDIATELY. When sin is not confessed and we don't turn from it immediately and we wallow in our thinking that God will not forgive me because I've sinned too much this time, we are giving strength to that sin, and the temptation will come again and you will give in to it more easily.

Settle it in your mind and be done with it. I know what I am talking about. Your looking at at a "sin -repent" man. I'd do the same thing over and over again and the grace of God has extended to me time and time again and were talking about years here. God is merciful, not willing any of us should perish. The grace of God is meant to bring us to the glory of God, but faith needs to be exibited to get there.

And don't do what I used to do, condemn yourself. Calling yourself "stupid", and and the profanity that came out of my mouth against myself was awful. Just shake yourself and IMMEDIATELY take it to the LORD.

This is not a formula, but this is what I have heard myself say after sin.
Quote:
"WHAT in the WORLD am I doing, get a grip. This is not who I am, I am above this. I am dead to this!, Father forgive me of this, cleanse me now from all unrighteousness."

I may continue to say that over and over again because I am still reeling over the fact that I gave into that sin again.

We have no idea how much GOD IS FOR US. Sin is an easy thing for the LORD to deal with when we repent, because He bore it already on the cross. Therefore, keeping that in mind of how much the LORD is for us, we need to keep that in mind when we sin. RUN TO HIM!

2007/5/25 20:42

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy