Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jesus Is Our Light, Our Guide

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

Jesus Is Our Light, Our Guide

Jesus Is Our Light, Our Guide

John 8:12
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

"Christ, like that pillar of cloud and fire [that led Israel], guides us in our pilgrimage.… “I am the Light of the World.” We have in Him a better guide through worse perplexities than theirs. By His Spirit within us, by that all-sufficient and perfect example of His life, by the word of His Gospel, and by the manifold indications of His providence, Jesus Christ is our Guide. If ever we go astray, it is not His fault, but ours. How gentle and loving that guidance is, none who have not yielded to it can tell. How wise and sure, none but those who have followed it know. He does not say “Go,” but “Come.” When He puts forth His sheep, He goes before them. In all rough places His quick hand is put out to save us.… As one of the psalms puts it, with wonderful beauty: “I will guide thee with mine eye”—a glance, not a blow—a look of directing love, that at once heartens to duty and tells duty. We must be very near Him to catch the look, and very much in sympathy with Him to understand it; and when we do, we must be swift to obey. Our eyes must be ever toward the Lord, or we shall often be marching on, unwitting that the pillar has spread itself for rest, or idly dawdling in our tents long after the cloud has gathered itself up for the march.…
Let Him say, Go, and you go; Do this, and you gladly do it, until the hour when He will whisper, Come; and as you come, the river will part, and the journey will be over, and “the fiery, cloudy pillar,” that “guided you all your journey through,” will spread itself out an abiding glory, in that higher home where “the Lamb is the light thereof.” (Alexander Maclaren, Exposition of Holy Scripture)

Could this be a mistake we have been making,
we have been going instead of coming?

He does not say “Go,” but “Come.” When He puts forth His sheep, He goes before them. In all rough places His quick hand is put out to save us.… As one of the psalms puts it, with wonderful beauty: “I will guide thee with mine eye”—a glance, not a blow—a look of directing love, that at once heartens to duty and tells duty. We must be very near Him to catch the look, and very much in sympathy with Him to understand it; and when we do, we must be swift to obey.

Are we near enough Him to catch the look?
Are we enough of the same mind to understand it?
Are we swift to obey or need we talk about it for awhile?

Just some questions to ponder.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/5/24 8:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy