SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : christian music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
coolcap2007

christian music

hi i was wondering if anyone could list some good christian music. I want music that really means something. Theres some christian songs that i really learned to not like much because the meaning wasnt really all there. for example "alabaster jar" and the song called "my reward" they have really good meanings. so can someone please give me a list of some christian music that the words really can mean something when they are sang

2007/5/24 4:51Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: christian music

Quote:
hi i was wondering if anyone could list some good christian music. I want music that really means something.

There is a whole section of "godly music" on sermonindex.net that are free downloads, I encourage you to utilize this resource:

[b]Godly Music[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=168

2007/5/24 4:55Profile

I can name two right off the bat...

Keith Green and Steve Camp.

You can download Steve's music for free (donation if you want to) here: http://a1m.org/store.php?cmd=items&dpid=0908cc70b6049e343f6159ce98e3cb8b

There are 8 CD's (86 songs) available for download on Steve's website. Good music going back to the late 70's to today.

Krispy

2007/5/24 6:19
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re:

I have also been a bit unsettled in the "music issue".
For me personally, I have heard a lot of bashing without a hint of biblical support. It wasn't until I read a chapter in the book "Fools Gold" that tackled some of my questions with historical and biblical support. Though the chapter was rather short, it has helped tremendously & was used in the process of stripping away many idols that the world & the flesh had instilled. I have since discarded many of my former musical treasures and replaced the air time with Godly preaching (some of which even have Godly music at the start/end of service :-) )

I thank the brothers that posted links, I will be sampling these as well..

2007/5/24 9:00Profile

Re:

Quote:
I have heard a lot of bashing without a hint of biblical support.

How so? Do you mean style or substance? Not sure what you mean, can you clarify?

I've heard some pretty pathetic arguments against style, but as far as substance, the Bible has a lot to say about whats happening in Christian music today.

Krispy

2007/5/24 10:41
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re:

Both ; examples range from the short quotes in the pulpit to random comments from believers; (mostly in regard to contemporary stuff)
Though some of these general comments maybe true, a lot of folks (such as myself, young in Christ & for the most part un-Churched) haven't heard the biblical knowledge behind their statements.
__just speaking from personal experience__

& as you stated there is a lot in the Bible about this, but praise be to God that I am finally starting to see it.

I know this seems to be a hot topic and I didn't want to go into detailed examples that would throw the thread off, but rather to encourage others to post Godly music for those of us that may be struggling to find it,

2007/5/24 10:56Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Keith Green and Steve Camp.

I think Michael Card is also one of the excellent artists among the 'big names'. I was listening to "Ancient Faith" last week and was struck again over how theologically nutritous his music is.

(Edit: comparison deleted...)

MC

2007/5/24 11:26Profile

Re:

I believe at this point I need to be true to Romans 16:17 and say that Michael Card is someone I believe we should avoid. He is unbelievably ecumenical, and is doing more to deceive the church into accepting the Catholic Church as just another "denomination". He has performed in masses, performed for Catholic hierarchy, and has performed at many national Catholic conventions... including one where the late Pope John Paul II was present.

His writings reveal his love and acceptance of the Catholic Church.

Sorry... I just cant let an endorsement for him go by without saying "beware".

Michael Card is a compromiser, and a traiter to all the believing martyrs who died at the hands of the Roman Catholic Church down thru the centuries.

Krispy

2007/5/24 12:22
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Steve Green is awesome! He has some great music and the words have real meaning.

http://www.stevegreenministries.org/

Also, about the styles. There is a style that is worldly. Steve Green has bordered on that in a couple of songs, but generally he is really good. However, music that sounds like the world's is compromise. We aren't to love the world and rock originated in the world and Christian rock have adopted the looks, style, and beat of the world.

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Jordan

2007/5/24 20:11Profile
poet

Longview WA

Keith Green was great due to the fact he was mentored by Leonard Ravenhill. He truly has a message...
As for what to listen to anymore its scary
just about any style anymore the world duplicates.
When hymn's came out the church had problems with that too.
I would look for content and a style that seems less as the world as possible.
When we do anything in life, like listen to music. Is God getting the glory, the praise, or are we learning something about him.
So I've listened to so called christian music and couldnt even figure what they were singing, the tune was catchy but thats about it.
God needs to be Glorified and we need to Glorify him.

2007/5/24 20:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy