SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : street corner preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Re:

Quote:
It may be the case that we're going to have to evangelize the church before we can turn fully to evangelizing the heathen.

I cannot "Amen" that enough! This is where the real problem lies. With the "house of God". It has become a den of theives- spiritually speaking.

We need to clean house from the inside out. Only the Lord can do this and it can be done by our testimony of the living Christ inside us. It can be done through prayer for the Lord's will to be done here on earth- in each life, in each family, in each building, in each meeting, in each heart.

I am sorry to say this but many Christians who out of the modern church or are still there but not in their hearts- (at least have a real revelation of who Christ is)- will be the ones who :

1. unveil the hypocrisy of religion and todays fast-food Christianity.

2.demonstrate true love to the poor, brokenhearted, lost and wounded- (because they have the living Christ eminating out of them)

3. also be critisized by "religious' people. I can not tell you how offensive my words have been to many church goers. Though I speak in love and truth- they gawk and are offended in their spirits because they don't want to "go there." They don't want to hear that they need to be "poured out" literally as a drink offering as a testimony for Christ.

When people around me talk of Christianity, church, or those related subjects- i am quite certain they are not talking about my Jesus, the Christianity I live, or the church of which I belong.

My prayer and purpose is to be a light and living testimony to the unbeliever as well as the BELIEVER who has their own idea of who Christ is. What a big job and an enourmous amount of people. Luckily my job is just to live it- I cannot make anyone's heart change. The Holy Spirit is my helper. :)

Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. Mt.7:14

Sold out and in love, Chanin

2004/4/10 16:41Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

"When people around me talk of Christianity, church, or those related subjects- i am quite certain they are not talking about my Jesus, the Christianity I live, or the church of which I belong." moreofhim

Oh I sadly have to say Amen. Even in "christian" books I have to find the ones, except for a few, which were written a hundred years ago or more. The Christianity they write about is not the Christianity of the bible. The Christianity I see is not the Christianity I read about in God's Word. Man, it makes me want to cry.

2004/4/10 16:49Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:

hmm and just by reading lazarus latest comments, I think it would be fruitful to go through the entire book of acts and draw out each time there is preaching to people ([i]unbelievers[/i]) and look at the circumstances, how it started, and other information about scene. I'm on it already

A good idea. I'm inclined to start a bit earlier, though, to get to the place of open air preaching in this time and area of the world:

Matthew 3
1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea
2 and saying, "Repent ye, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."
3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying, "The voice of one crying in the wilderness: `Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make His paths straight.'"

John's ministry was to prepare "the way of the Lord," and his message was "Repent"! I think this can be likened to plowing up the ground, plowing up the hearts of men with the Law of God.

Mark 4
13 And He said unto them, "Know you not this parable? And how then will ye know all parables?
14 The sower soweth the Word.
15 And these are they by the wayside, where the Word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately and taketh away the Word that was sown in their hearts.
16 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground who, when they have heard the Word, immediately receive it with gladness;
17 but they have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time. Afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the Word's sake, immediately they are offended.
18 And these are they which are sown among thorns, such as hear the Word,
19 but the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the Word, and it becometh unfruitful.
20 And these are they which are sown on good ground, such as hear the Word and receive it and bring forth fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred."

What happens when seed is sown on stony ground? What happens when the Word is sown in unplowed hearts? False converts. Hypocrites. Goats among the sheep. Churches filled with the unconverted.

John plowed up the ground before Jesus came through, so the people were better prepared for grace. Jesus didn't have to preach as hard as He might have had to, because the ground was plowed up.

Nowadays most sowers of the Word are far softer than Jesus, but the ground is far harder.

The hearts of North America's people are almost hopelessly fallow. Hardly anything moves people anymore, as I heard Wilkerson preaching on just recently (wonderful resource, this website). They need plowing, deep plowing.

The way must be prepared again for grace. God's Law, sin, Judgment, Hell, and repentance need to be preached. Both to the heathen and to those who name the name of Christ.

On that last part, I think Scripture is talking about professing (not necessarily genuine) Christians when it says they "will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear." Many professing Christians have ears that itch to hear of easy-believism, of Eternal Security, of "carnal Christianity," of ecumenism and interfaith, of permissible worldliness... of permissible [b]sin[/b]!

Oh how our Lord is grieved, and is weeping... I'm beginning, just barely beginning, to share in "the fellowship of His sufferings" as He makes clear to me how far things are from where they should be.

The ground must be plowed, the thorny undergrowth must be burned away, the groves on the (altar) hills must be torn up. We must forsake our idols! We must forsake our sins!

Only when we've truly turned back to the Lord, can we have any hope of truly loving, serving, and obeying Him. Only then should we preach.

Well, that wandered topics.

In Him,
-Keith

2004/4/10 17:05Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

sermonindex,
I bet we agree on more then it might seem. Lets find out

Do you believe in street evangelism?
Do you believe we need to actually learn how to evangelize?
Do you believe in preaching "whether they hear or whether they refuse"?
Do you believe that the Christianity we see is the Christianity of the bible?
Do you believe we should preach that "God commands all men everywhere to repent, because He has appointed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness"?

2004/4/10 17:07Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Matthew 3
1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea
2 and saying, "Repent ye, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."
3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying, "The voice of one crying in the wilderness: `Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make His paths straight.'"

Brother Keith, I think we have to be careful here to realize that there is a message of repentance given to Israel to revive them from there waywardness, remember there has not been a prophetic voice amongst the people in 300 years and the spiritual condition could be considered stagnant in Israel.

Quote:
Nowadays most sowers of the Word are far softer than Jesus, but the ground is far harder.

The hearts of North America's people are almost hopelessly fallow. Hardly anything moves people anymore, as I heard Wilkerson preaching on just recently (wonderful resource, this website). They need plowing, deep plowing.

The way must be prepared again for grace. God's Law, sin, Judgment, Hell, and repentance need to be preached. Both to the heathen and to those who name the name of Christ.

Wow you are changing topics abit in your post but what a wonderfully edifying post to read. I think preaching the Word is impartially is what is needed (Grace and Law) which includes all the subjects that just mentioned: [i]God's Law, sin, Judgment, Hell, and repentance[/i]. To simply preach everything .. just putting emphasis where the Scriptures puts emphasis. I don't disagree at all with the sowing of the word in public, ie preaching on the streets. But the way and venue its done I think deserves attention. It's just when I first think of street preaching as do others its a big turn-off even for some Christians.

Brother I started another thread so we can discuss this issue of false doctrines and believers accepting them here:
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1709&forum=36&0]Itching ears...[/url]

Brother Jesse, I am sure we agree [b]much[/b] more than we we disagree, but as I said before disagreement is good thing if we can try and pray through this and learn from one-anther and see how God is teaching both of us. I am quite young, 24yrs old and I have alot of wisdom to be acquired by revelation from God still. Here are your questions answered:

Quote:
Do you believe in street evangelism?

Yes, but not as the only method of sharing the Word of God with people. And also because of our discussion that is continuing, I believe there are excesses in this area of evangelizing and its benefical to discuss it further. [i]ie looking at the acts examples piece by piece[/i].

Quote:
Do you believe we need to actually learn how to evangelize?

No, I never think the Apostles had classes on evangelism. There was a discipleship of living examples, in word and speech. We need to become more like Jesus and then that life will be imparted to others. It's something that should be natural to show people how a supernatural God has changed you and made you a supernatural being, a NEW creation in Christ.

Quote:
Do you believe in preaching "whether they hear or whether they refuse"?

Well yes obviously truth is given out into the world and is rejected by most. [color=CC0000]'Many are called few are chosen.'[/color] But that doesn't give me lisence to go out to any corner and just yell out the Law of God and tell everyone that unless they belief on Jesus they are going to hell. There is a God-given platform and leading that God gives to do this in the right way. Please don't understand me, I am not accusing you of doing this without God's leading.

Quote:
Do you believe that the Christianity we see is the Christianity of the bible?

Institutional Christianity? I firmly believe that God's true church is spiritual and unseen. There was an organization that instituted the true early Church, but quite quickly that became apostate and turned into the Catholic church. Today there are many congregations and fellowships of believers that are genuine and quite close to the early church. But sadly many churchs, denominations are quite far from biblical Christianity. I believe it was Sandur Singh who said that he believes only 5% of professing Christians in North America are actually born-again.

Quote:
Do you believe we should preach that "God commands all men everywhere to repent, because He has appointed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness"?

Yes, but that shouldn't be our only text, and its questionable if you start with that to heathen (unbelievers).

------

"You will never win the world like being like the world. You will never win the world like entertaining like the world."
-Keith Daniels

2004/4/10 18:11Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

quote "But that doesn't give me lisence to go out to any corner and just yell out the Law of God and tell everyone that unless they belief on Jesus they are going to hell." sermonindex

I don't know where that came from. I hope I didn't implied that. What I do believe in is going to the streets and preaching like Jesus that unless they repent from their sins they will perish. Luke 13:3 Unless they turn to Jesus they will go to hell, but that doesn't make sense to them if you don't show them their need to come to him. That knowledge comes by the Law.

As far as learning evangelism goes, like you said yourself it is by "looking at the acts examples piece by piece" We must learn how to witness, in a class room setting or not, by looking at the bible. So first you said you believe in learning from biblical examples, but then you said you don't believe evangelism should be taught.
"I never think the Apostles had classes on evangelism" sermonindex
Do you think Jesus gave his disciples the Great Commission without first showing them during the three years how and what to preach?? What is a Master to his disciple then a teacher? What else is a discipleship besides a type of class?

2004/4/10 18:33Profile
prayer1warrior

Re: street corner preaching

In Christ's love
<

2004/4/10 18:52Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

quote "We are to be in all of the public places casting down idols and preaching the gospel of Jesus" prayer1warrior

I completely agree. This is something I said earlier: I say we should preach right where nobody wants us to! That seems pretty biblical to me. Acts 5:28-29 says "Did we not strictly command you not to teach in this name? And look, you have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this Man's blood on us!" but Peter and the other apostels answered and said "We ought to obey God rather than men."
Acts 21:37 - 40 Paul asks to speak to a crowd who already "were seeking to kill him" vs 31

2004/4/10 19:03Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

To street preach or to not street preach, that is the question. Whether it be noble... errr.. time to cut the shakespeare...

Personally, I have started doing open air preaching every Monday afternoon at UNC Charlotte. I just go, and raise my voice, and spare not, but at the same time, try to give people hope in Christ. There must be a good balance of preaching the law & gospel. Ultimately though, I am trying to present Christ, and Him crucified, and get people to have a revelation of Jesus Christ, to get them to "behold the lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world."

My public preaching may be deemed a nusance, as it is loud. So far, I can't say much of anything on how I'm perceived, as I've only preached for 30 minutes or so each time, and haven't had too many hecklers come up to me. I've had quite a few Christians comes and encourage me on, but not too many folks who are trying to discourage me.

Most the people just walk by, some slowly, others very quickly. Some stay off in the distance and listen, but no crowds seem to form. It would APPEAR I am not very succesfull. But the Scriptures say that the word of God shall not return void, and it will accomplish that for which it was sent out. Ultimately, if I am preaching the gospel, it will do something. Perhaps for many, a seed will just be planted. Perhaps for others, my preaching will only water what another planted. Perhaps I will see a harvest. But, all that is God's business, not mine.

Perhaps what I preach will not be very attractive to people, and many might harden their hearts to the gospel. But, if what I preach is truly the gospel, then it ultimately will either be attractive to people, or it will cause them to push away further from the faith. If I am preaching the gospel, and living a life of holiness and integrity in the fear of the Lord, then if they flee further away from the gospel, I know it is not from my method of preaching or a hypocritical lifestyle, but from the gospel itself, from the Lord Himself. If their reaction is negative, then it is the reaction of those who hated the light and loved the darkness.

2004/4/10 19:22Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

Brother,
You just keep on preaching! Positive responses and negative responces will come. Jesus' first sermon made people try to throw him off a cliff but other times they would follow him any where. If they reject you it is because they have rejected God.

Don't be discouraged if you don't see crowds. Ray Comfort preached for 18 months without any crowds ( because he didn't elevate himself). I have preached alot on the street and have had big crowds, small crowds, and no crowds. Just continue to pray.

Quotes on open air
"No sort of defense is needed for preaching outdoors, but it would take a very strong argument to prove that a man who has never preached beyond the walls of his meetinghouse has done his duty." C.H. Spurgeon

"Every great preacher of the bible was an open-air preacher, Peter was an open-air preacher, Paul was an open-air preacher, and so were Elijah, Moses, and Ezra. More important then all, Jesus Christ Himself was an open-air preacher and preached, for the most part, outdoors. Every great sermon recorded in the Bible was preached in the open-air, the sermon on the Day of Pentecost, the sermon on the Mount, and the Sermon on Mars Hill, etc." R.A. Torrey

2004/4/10 19:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy