SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : street corner preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
lazarus

Connecticut

street corner preaching

Hey I just wanted to encourage any open air preachers. Open air preaching absolutely rocks! Never do I feel more in the Lords will then when I'm on the street preaching. I'm 19 from CT and have been preaching open air reguarly for only a year and a half. I've learned not to get discouraged if people don't stop and listen. Some days you may have a nice crowd, some days no crowd, and other days huge crowds. I go to bus stops where a crowd is already gathered and preach to them. THey are what I call a "captured" audience. THE MORE STREET PREACHERS THE BETTER! What do u guys think? I say find a populated area, lift up your voice like a trumpet and tell God's people their transgressions!

Until all have heard
Jesse

great resourses for open air preaching are:

http://www.livingwaters.com/openair.shtml

http://www.livingwaters.com/listenwatch.shtml

http://www.livingwaters.com/watch.shtml

2004/4/9 21:36Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: street corner preaching

Praise God, it's good to hear from a faithful servant. It's regrettably rare that someone will answer the calls of Psalm 94:16 and Mark 16:15.

I've done a little preaching myself, but mostly I help some of my friends that are much more experienced at it. The Lord's teaching me, though... sometimes there's a fire in me reminiscent (to me) of the prophets, and I want to go and preach. It'd be nice if one of those times would coincide with a time I could actually do so :)

Seek the Lord, night and day. Do nothing except that which He would have you do, devote yourself entirely to Him. When you have truly inhaled and are filled with the Holy Ghost and driven by the will of God, the exhaling will leave sinners breathless (and possibly on the ground).

Oh, and preach on those university campuses, once the students get much older it's pretty rare to turn them far from their course.

God's grace in Christ be with you,
-Keith

2004/4/9 23:55Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Oh, and preach on those university campuses, once the students get much older it's pretty rare to turn them far from their course.

I'm sorry brothers but I really have to share my heart on this subject, I am far from perfect and am not a bold speaker myself but I do feel strongly on this issue. First off its not pretty rare to turn people from their course when they are old! It has just become that way since Christianity has gone into decline in our generation. The Gospel in the New Testament changed peoples lives, priest who were stubborn in their ways, etc. Its amazing to see a whole crowd of older men crying out: 'what can we do to be saved??' in the New Testament, where is that now? We saw that in Finneys day, in John Wesleys, in Whitfields, why not today. The problem is not always with the message its with the preacher. If you are right with God and walking in Holiness before Him your words will cut people down with Holy Ghost conviction. I basically think much of Street preaching is pointless in our day when all people see is [b]hypocrisy[/b] in the Church. The Church needs to be revived. North America is in a moral slump because the Church is.

Quote:
great resourses for open air preaching

Brother Jesse, I don't want to cause offense with you either but LivingWaters Evangelism techniques are somewhat questionable to me. Now don't get me wrong, I throughly enjoy listening to Ray Comfort and I have read some of His book 'key to revival' which was recommended even by the late Leonard Ravenhill. But as I go through the links you sent I can't but help whince at the techniques that are employed. He quotes many Men of God from the past that are admirable and worthy to be quoted, but comfort seems to use that as his foundation to promote his tools. [i](I am not trying to say ray comfort is not doing service for Christ, God is definetly using Him even the tools that he is using)[/i]:
[url=http://www.livingwaters.com/images/images_openair/openair_misc_lightshow_large.gif]Glowing ball[/url], [url=http://www.livingwaters.com/images/images_openair/openair_misc_slightofhand.jpg]Money[/url]

I just don't really see the apostles and disciples doing tricks and neat thing like that to attract crowds.

Quote:
I go to bus stops where a crowd is already gathered and preach to them. THey are what I call a "captured" audience.

In the Apostles time I am sure they would not go and force a message on people but preach in a place where they would want to be heard. It was usual for people to [i]teach[/i] in the temple grounds to people that were around. In that society people didn't have TV and other forms of entertainment so listening to orators and teachers was a custom? am I wrong, I am really not an expert on jewish times someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Sorry brothers not trying to cause an argument here just trying to share my heart.

2004/4/10 0:17Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

1) I love Ray Comforts teaching on open air because it explains how to start in the natural realm like Paul did.

2) The only places people gather are at bus stops in my area. I have recieved lots of encouragement from those at the bus stops. No body is yelling at me saying "DOn't force your religion on me" I have never heard that even once. If you have never done it then I understand why you don't know about it.

But my bible tells me to preach "in season and out of season." That means if people are recieving it or if they are rejecting it. Whether I am reaping souls or if I'm reaping sorrow. "And go, get to the captives, to the children of your people, and speak to them and tell them, 'Thus says the Lord God,' whether they hear or whether they refuse." Ezekiel 3:11

well, you may prefer www.gospeljohn.com or www.brojed.org if you don't care for livingwaters

2004/4/10 0:27Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
But my bible tells me to preach "in season and out of season." That means if people are recieving it or if they are rejecting it. Whether I am reaping souls or if I'm reaping sorrow. "And go, get to the captives, to the children of your people, and speak to them and tell them, 'Thus says the Lord God,' whether they hear or whether they refuse." Ezekiel 3:11

I hope you read my comments in my first post, it was not against you directly or ray comfort but against excesses in evangelism and a getting back to what is biblical. The content of the verse in timothy you are quoting is here:

[b]2 Timothy 4:2-3[/b] - Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

It clearly seems to me that its preaching to believers, correcting them, rebuking them, encouraging them with sound doctrine. That doesn't mean we shouldn't share and read the scriptures to unbelievers, but I believe it should not be forcefully done, and in a way to cause immediate offense. Paul and Timothy did not just go into places and point blank telling people they are sinners and need to repent, or that they are going to hell without Jesus.

[b]Ezekiel 3:11[/b] - Go now to your countrymen in exile and speak to them. Say to them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says,' whether they listen or fail to listen."

This context is that the prophet is speaking to people who had an intimate knowedlge of God and were backslidden and judged by God, but God still wanted to extend mercy to them even in there exile (fruit of judgement). I akin this to the Church and the necessary attitude for a prophet to speak to a wayward group of believers that have gone astray to Christ.

I am NOT against street evangelism, I actually think it is needed in our day. But what is even more needed is for Christian to be found in the Likeness of Christ. I think Jesus prayer in John really speaks to this situation:

[b]John 17:20-24[/b] - [color=CC0000]"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.[/color]

2004/4/10 11:19Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

"I am NOT against street evangelism, I actually think it is needed in our day. But what is even more needed is for Christian to be found in the Likeness of Christ." sermonindex

Absolutely! The worst thing to evangelism is hypocricy. If a hypocrit wants to preach he should go far far away from his home to where nobody knows him, and when he stands up to preach he should say nothing.

"2 Timothy 4:2-3 - Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

It clearly seems to me that its preaching to believers" sermonindex

I do NOT believe that believers "will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear" Christians will believe in "sound doctrine."

Two verses down from 2 Tim 4:2 is verse 5 which says "But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." So in context Paul was telling Timothy to preach to NON believers "in season and out of season."

Mark 6:12 "So they went out and preached that people should repent." How can we do any less or any more?

2004/4/10 13:09Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
First off its not pretty rare to turn people from their course when they are old!

Even as I wrote that it was rare I felt something like rephrasing it, and I retract the statement as I made it. Sorry for speaking (typing) hastily.

What I was getting at is that it's important, if it is possible, to get to people before they've had 3,4,5 or more decades of "indoctrination" in whatever error they're in. God can still shatter their resistance when they're 100, of course.

There's also the matter of many of the future leaders (in business, politics, etc) being centralized in these locations, and usually being fed fairly liberal and anti-Christian teaching.
Quote:
I basically think much of Street preaching is pointless in our day when all people see is [b]hypocrisy[/b] in the Church. The Church needs to be revived. North America is in a moral slump because the Church is.

The hypocrisy does have a dramatic effect, most people just don't take Christianity seriously in this country anymore (even professing Christians).

We preach Holiness, however, and the ones that get most upset by our preaching are usually professing Christians who are living in sin. That kind of preaching helped bring me out of my "sinning Christianity," and it brings some to conviction. It may be the case that we're going to have to evangelize the [b]church[/b] before we can turn fully to evangelizing the heathen.
Quote:
But as I go through the links you sent I can't but help whince at the techniques that are employed.

I don't like gimmicks either. Just preach the Truth, and have as much a proportion of it be the pure Word as is feasible. Getting a crowd can be nice, but getting even one person thinking deeply about the Truth is more than worth several hours of preaching. Plant the seeds of the Word in their heart.
Quote:
I just don't really see the apostles and disciples doing tricks and neat thing like that to attract crowds.

I agree, and we desperately have to get back to Biblical evangelism, and Biblical Christianity in general.
Quote:
Sorry brothers not trying to cause an argument here just trying to share my heart.

If God tells you to say something, say it. I appreciate your assurances that you're not coming out in contention, but I would not have that suspected that of you anyway. If anything I say seems off-base, hasty, simply-idiotic, etc, please don't refrain from letting me know unless God thus leads you.

By the same token, if God tells you to preach something, preach it. My personality and such inclines me towards the policy of "bother no one, stay in my own corner of the universe and let everyone else get on with their business in theirs." However, if God tells me to bother someone, I'd sure better bother them.

Edit:

Quote:
I am NOT against street evangelism, I actually think it is needed in our day. But what is even more needed is for Christian to be found in the Likeness of Christ. I think Jesus prayer in John really speaks to this situation:

John 17:20-24 - "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

Amen.

2004/4/10 14:22Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

I say we should preach right where nobody wants us to! That seems pretty biblical to me. Acts 5:28-29 says "Did we not strictly command you not to teach in this name? And look, you have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this Man's blood on us!" but Peter and the other apostels answered and said "We ought to obey God rather than men."
Acts 21:37 - 40 Paul asks to speak to a crowd who already "were seeking to kill him" vs 31

Quote: "We preach Holiness, however, and the ones that get most upset by our preaching are usually professing Christians who are living in sin."

Yea it seems that nobody likes holiness in our day. The world will jump on the hypocricy of the church, but then again the world doesn't want the church to be real. They will reject it either way because they love their sin. The "sinning saint" hates holiness preaching also. Holiness has never been a popular message and never will be but that should never stop any of us from sharing that message.

2004/4/10 14:28Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I do NOT believe that believers "will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear" Christians will believe in "sound doctrine."

Hi Brother, do you mean that you don't think that verse means that Christians will gather around themselves teachers to suit what they want to hear? so it this phrase towards unbelievers? sorry if you could clarify that would be great.

Quote:
Two verses down from 2 Tim 4:2 is verse 5 which says "But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." So in context Paul was telling Timothy to preach to NON believers "in season and out of season."

I feel in context Paul is first refering timothy to take care of Christians because of the prevalance of false teaching. And then also he exhorts timothy to fulfill his ministry which is in part preaching to NON believers.

[u]Verse 2.[/u] Be instant - Insist on, urge these things in season, out of season - That is, continually, at all times and places. It might be translated, with and without opportunity - Not only when a fair occasion is given: even when there is none, one must be made.
[i]-John Wesley's Explanatory Notes on the Whole Bible[/i]

Quote:
Do the work of an evangelist ...
The New Testament does not make the distinction between this word and "preacher," as in current usage. For comment on the work of preaching, see under 2 Tim. 4:2. - -Coffman Commentaries on the Old and New Testament

Hmmm this is an instresting point and might deserve some fuller delving into. What is the biblical signifigance and definition of an evangelist, is it a spiritual gifting, etc.

Quote:
Mark 6:12 "So they went out and preached that people should repent." How can we do any less or any more?

Yes brother AMEN I am not saying that preaching to people is wrong at all, we are called to do that in certain situations, but I am more worried about the tools, method, and spirit behind the preaching that is given, thats all.

Quote:
There's also the matter of many of the future leaders (in business, politics, etc) being centralized in these locations, and usually being fed fairly liberal and anti-Christian teaching.

Yes brother you are very right, when a generation is lost without Christ this will affect our whole society in general and I believe this is happening right now we are starting to experience the effects of a godless society in Canada and United States. I grimice to think of all these young people growing up right now becoming leaders of our nation and society. God help us we need a Revival of Religion to save this generation.

Quote:
It may be the case that we're going to have to evangelize the [b]church[/b] before we can turn fully to evangelizing the heathen.

WOW what a powerful statement. A hearty AMEN.

Quote:
If God tells you to say something, say it. I appreciate your assurances that you're not coming out in contention, but I would not have that suspected that of you anyway. If anything I say seems off-base, hasty, simply-idiotic, etc, please don't refrain from letting me know unless God thus leads you.

Brother Keith, I believe we have alot to learn from each other and I have been blessed by yours and lazarus's comments. If this is a God-led discussion then both sides will walk away with something that deepens our thoughts and beliefs in God.

hmm and just by reading lazarus latest comments, I think it would be fruitful to go through the entire book of acts and draw out each time there is preaching to people ([i]unbelievers[/i]) and look at the circumstances, how it started, and other information about scene. I'm on it already :-P

2004/4/10 16:03Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

"What is the biblical signifigance and definition of an evangelist, is it a spiritual gifting, etc." sermonindex

there is no gifting of evangelism, it is a learned skill. I teach a class on evangelism. If it were a "gift" then there would be no need of a class to teach it.

According to Ephesians 4:12 God has appointed some to be Evangelists "for the equipping of the saints FOR the work of the ministry, FOR the edifying of the body of Christ." An Evangelist, according to the bible, is someone who teaches christians how to evangelize like they ought to. I don't care what the dictionary says an evangelist is, man wrote the dictionary, God wrote the bible.

"do you mean that you don't think that verse means that Christians will gather around themselves teachers to suit what they want to hear? so it this phrase towards unbelievers? sorry if you could clarify that would be great." sermonindex

A true Christian not only reads God's Word but abides in it. I can't imagine that true christians would willfully round up for themselves false teachers so that they can hear what they want to hear. A true Christian knows the Truth because it was the Truth that had set them free. I wouldn't say that it is "unbeleivers" who do it, but rather false believers. It is a false Church full of false Christians that will round up for themselves false teachers to teach them false teachings. They must be men who do not know their bibles.

Leonard Ravenhill: Why Revival Tarries, pg 86 "The conflict of the ages is upon us. This unbiblical distored thing called the church, that mixes with the world and dishonors its so-called Lord, has been found out for what it is, a fraud."

2004/4/10 16:24Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy