SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Divorce & Remarriage: A Position Paper by John Piper

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
1956Ford

NC

Re:

Great sermons Jordan, I added them to my audio archive. Listen to some more sermons and radio broadcasts on Marriage and divorce at http://www.cadz.net

Listen to our latest audio on the "Falwell Factor" , the moral majority, and divorce/remarriage, with guest Cal Thomas.

It's time for people to repent.

Quote by HomeFree89 on 2007/5/23 16:06:13

I'd highly recommend checking out these sermons. I haven't listened to every one on here, but the ones by Rick Leibee are great.

The link is below:

http://www.charityministries.org/tapeministry/tapelist.cfm?Where=category%5Fdescription&value=Divorce%20%26%20Remarriage

Jordan

P.S.

Just click on the Listen to MP3 button and then listen to it online.

2007/5/23 19:41Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

1956Ford wrote:
I agree, I repented of my adulterous remarriage. My testimony is at http://www.cadz.net/mdr.html

I have and faq on MDR at http://www.cadz.net/faq.html

Interesting site, Cheryl.

I'll check it out more as I have time.

Jordan :-)

2007/5/25 15:58Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Divorce & Remarriage: David Pawson

David Pawson, who by many here in the UK is seen as an authority in doctrinal is very much in line with John Piper.

He touches on this subject in his book "Not As Bad As The Truth" The Author himself was tested on his position when his son married a divorced women.

There are also a couple of MP3s that you can order: Re-Marriage After Divorce? Part 1,2 and 3

Narrowpath

2007/5/25 18:09Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Re: Divorce & Remarriage: David Pawson

John Macarthur shares on the subject of divorce and remarriage in this sermon:

[b]What God Thinks of Divorce[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=2834

At the end of the sermon he states that there is credence for re-marriage under the act of adultery and the unbelieving partner divorces.

I think he did a very good job on the "divorce" aspect of the sermon but the "remarriage" part was not very detailed scripturally.

2007/5/25 19:01Profile
roman

Re:

Quote:
And he also seems to forget that under the authority of the Lord God ALL of the exiles in Ezras day were commanded to divorce their foreign wives as proof of their repentance for sinning against heaven.

Not everything that happened in the Bible is God’s will though He allowed it. It is not God’s will that Adam & Eve fell into sin but He allowed it. It is not God’s will that Abraham would have a son to Hagar but He allowed it.

Now referring to mix marriages in Ezra’s time. I’m not quite sure if it’s God’s will considering the damage it had to the families & children. I tend to lean more on the thought of them became legalistic as what we saw in Jesus time. They learned that because of their apostasy God brought them to exile. Now returning from exile, they don’t want to fall in apostasy again & started to clean their lives; one issue they addressed was the mix marriage.

I am making this stand in the light of this passage:

1 Corinthians 7:14 (KJV) For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Quote:
I plead with anyone who is living in adultery to at the very least seperate physically from your relationship and seek the Lord in prayer and fasting as you consider the additional scriptures that I have offered. I truly believe that what has been written in this article is straight from hell and designed to strengthen the sinner in their sin. If you are remarried and your "ex-" is alive then you are committing adultery in Gods eyes and are only "married" to your "new" spouse in the eyes of man.

I have a question, why did Jesus did not tell to the Samaritan woman (John 4) to separate from the man she is living with who is not her husband?

John 4:15-18 (KJV) 15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. 16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. 17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: 18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.

I heard a testimony from a pastor regarding his student falling back to sin. This student of his was a drug addict. He got saved; God changed his life; went to Bible school. But in the course of his walk with God, he fell into drugs again & one day he got overdosed (this happened in the Bible school). So his classmates called the pastor. So the pastor ran fast having in mind to rebuke this student. But when he opened the door of the student’s room & about to rebuke, the Holy Spirit filled him and instead of rebuking the brother he said something like this “Even though you are in that position right now, God will still use you mightily. God will give you a big church.” The pastor himself was surprised to what he said. And indeed, after some years what the pastor had spoken, as the Holy Spirit filled him, came to pass.

What’s my point? With all our knowledge of the Bible. there are times we are too quick & even too harsh to judge. Yes, the Bible is our standard. But I say “God is our supreme Ruler.” In the absence of God’s clear word, we go by the Bible but don’t be too harsh & too quick to judge as if we heard from God.

[b]We may see things as the way God sees it but we may be not acting as God would act.[/b]

For the record, I agree with John Piper’s position. But if God will speak directly & clearly to any re-marriage to split-up, then they should.

Quote:
If it's called adultery, then they should split. We wouldn't tell a gay "couple" or two fornicators to stay together after getting saved, but when it something like divorce and remarriage it OK to stay together.

Same gender living together is fornication. It will never be acceptable in the eyes of God. As for remarriage, I believe not all remarriages are not acceptable in the eyes of God.

Just a thought, why of all David’s sons did God choose Solomon? David’s son to Bathseba? The union of David to Bathsheba is highly questionable (we all know the story).

[i][b]My point is “In God’s sovereignty, He chose Solomon to succeed David. I believe that God is making a statement that He had sanctified & accepted their union after David’s repentance & punishment.” For God to bring Jesus in a lineage of David through Bathsheba, the union must have been sanctified.[/b][/i]

roman

2007/5/26 0:02Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
For the record, I agree with John Piper’s position. But if God will speak directly & clearly to any re-marriage to split-up, then they should.

Then you do not agree with all of Pastor Piper's teachings because he teaches one should NOT ever leave the second marriage----though he contends the first marriage is still intact in God's eyes and will not end until one of the original marriage partners dies.

To me, if the original marriage is intact in the eyes of God, one SHOULD depart from the second/third/forth, UNLAWFUL, SINFUL union. There should be no question.

Quote:
Same gender living together is fornication. It will never be acceptable in the eyes of God. As for remarriage, I believe not all remarriages are not acceptable in the eyes of God.

Pastor Piper teaches that ALL remarriages that take place while one has a living spouse are ADULTERY----ALL. So again, you do not agree with him on this point.

2007/5/26 13:12Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Now referring to mix marriages in Ezra’s time. I’m not quite sure if it’s God’s will considering the damage it had to the families & children. I tend to lean more on the thought of them became legalistic as what we saw in Jesus time.

Ezra was the beginning of the Pharisee's (Perushim). This is where the seeds were sown. The people from here began to systematically leave God out of their interpretations. God was silent for 400 years as they came to fruition. It was from here (Ezra) that we trace the movement. The issue in Ezra's time is, "was those pagan spouses leading the people into idolatry?" If not, then the breakups were [u]not[/u] lawful. But the idea of 'helping God' fix modern problems by strengthening the commandment and leaving out passages like the one below- became part and portion of the pharisee paradigm:

Deut 21:10-13

10 When thou goest forth to war against [u]thine enemies[/u], and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,

11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, [u]that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;[/u]

12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;

13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and [u]after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.[/u]
KJV

Quote:
What’s my point? With all our knowledge of the Bible. there are times we are too quick & even too harsh to judge. Yes, the Bible is our standard. But I say “God is our supreme Ruler.” In the absence of God’s clear word, we go by the Bible but don’t be too harsh & too quick to judge as if we heard from God.

There has to be a liberty of conscience here. This issue has been beaten to death in these forums with many casualties. It is doubtful that anyone can add to the volumes of posts already made. John Piper has his view- and I agree with some and disagree with some; but the Spirit in which he holds his view is what I appreciate most. It is truly the Spirit of New Testament Christianity. He appeals for a liberty of conscience. This means that we allow people to come to their own conclusions. When a person's soul is on the line- who better than they know their own heart- save God alone? If what I believe ultimately sends my soul to Hell- do me one favor- tell the Lord I really loved Him and did what I believed He wanted me to do in light of all lifes circumstances.

Quote:
If it's called adultery, then they should split. We wouldn't tell a gay "couple" or two fornicators to stay together after getting saved, but when it something like divorce and remarriage it OK to stay together.

These are the kinds of statements that impose on a persons conscience. They are relentless and weigh heavy on those who want to do right. The supposition is that it is called 'adultery' to begin with. If you can say it loud enough and long enough sooner you can effect your will. But this is not debate or discussion. It is an agenda. It is an agenda to break up every single home on earth that has a living former spouse. And the rebuttles will keep coming over and over and over again. they have not stopped and will not stop. Your only choice to end the constant badgering is to leave the forums all together. And many, quite frankly already have.

Quote:
Same gender living together is fornication...

So is adultery.

1 Cor 5:1

It is reported commonly that there is [u]fornication[/u] among you, and such [u]fornication[/u] as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, [u]that one should have his father's wife.[/u]

That one should have his father's wife (woman) is fornication- fornication not even heard among the Gentiles.

2007/5/26 14:00Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Pastor Piper teaches that ALL remarriages that take place while one has a living spouse are ADULTERY----ALL. So again, you do not agree with him on this point.

Jesus was simply telling the Pharisee's that if they think they are avoiding the sin of adultery by putting away their wives [i]first[/i] they are sadly mistaken. Not only did they commit adultery when they broke their part of the covenant, but they in effect caused their spouse to break it and the person they have relations with also to break it. If they break the covenant- they deserve death. The Pharisee's knew this. So here were these pharisee's thinking they had not committed adultery by putting away their wives and marrying other women. I'm sure it was a shock to hear that they had in fact committed it as they prided themselves that as touching the law they were blameless. Jesus simply closed their loophole in the law. If you put away your wife for any reason except that she has committed fornication against you- you have committed adultery once you have relations with the next person. The penalty is death. Anything short of death is an act of mercy.

2007/5/26 14:31Profile
repentcanada

Re:

it will be interesting to see how this paper by Piper differs from David Servant's article:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17085&forum=36

2007/5/27 23:35Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
it will be interesting to see how this paper by Piper differs from David Servant's article:

And also John MacArthur's sermon Greg posted above.

2007/5/28 0:08Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy