SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Isa 44:20 "Smoking?"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Isa 44:20 "Smoking?"

Isa 44:20 He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?

I'm just wondering, i have been told the prophet speaks bout smoking here, now i don't think he does, the man who said so used this verse to show someone that smoking is wrong, so if it leads to someone stops smoking thats wonderful!

but the verse does actually say something else don't it? I'm more thinking it says something about those who serves false Gods

[i]He feedeth on ashes[/i]....

and when reading from the previous verses thats the meaning i get from this.

anyone who can help out?

2007/5/21 5:25Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Isa 44:20 "Smoking?"

When I first looked at this I thought, you can't feed on ashes. And you can't.

I looked in Matthew Henry's commentary and it says the following:

'They feed themselves with hopes of advantage by worshipping these idols, but they will be disappointed as much as a man that would expect nourishment by feeding on ashes.

Feeding on ashes is an evidence of a depraved appetite and a distempered body, and it is a sign that the soul is over-powered by very bad habits when men, in their worship, go no further than the sight of their eyes will carry them. They are wretchedly deluded, and it is their own fault.'

That is what it said in the commentary and it makes sense to me.

Seems like people will accept almost anything, apart from the truth.

Still, others will have their own thoughts and observances on this.

God bless.

2007/5/21 6:16Profile

Re: Isa 44:20 "Smoking?"

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
Isa 44:20 He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?

I'm just wondering, i have been told the prophet speaks bout smoking here, now i don't think he does, the man who said so used this verse to show someone that smoking is wrong, so if it leads to someone stops smoking thats wonderful

Interesting! Sometimes the Lord does honour His Word being taken "out of context" like that. That certainly can't be the original meaning. But maybe the Lord illuminated this verse to the person in this way! He does do that sometimes.

I heard of someone who read a verse that says (Psalms?) something like the Lord gives "health in the inward parts", and took and believed for healing of a stomach problem, and was healed!

If someone comes to the Lord for healing or help He can speak through the most surprising scriptures. Remember, it is the LIVING Word!

The only danger is if someone takes such an out of context scripture and makes a doctrine out of it.

Jeannette

2007/5/21 12:35

Re:

Yea, this is what can happen when we take a verse completely out of context. I believe Matthew Henry got it right, and plenty of other theologians agree with him... and I havent found one yet that comes even close to concluding what this guy you know has.

There are plenty of other scriptural principles against smoking, but it's dangerous to wrench scripture out of context, even if the results seem to be good.

Krispy

2007/5/21 12:59
lightwalker

Missouri

Re:

In Mark chapter 7 the Lord spoke to those who called outward things the truth. He condnmed the outward because it had no effect on the heart. To condemn someone for smoking is the same thing. It does not come from the heart and therefore is a moot point.
Christians always seem to want some outward thing to judge each other for, maybe because it is much easer to keep an outward form then to Do the word of God.

Then came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem.

Mar 7:2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.

Mar 7:3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash [their] hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.

Mar 7:4 And [when they come] from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, [as] the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.

Mar 7:5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?

Mar 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with [their] lips, but their heart is far from me.

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men.

Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, [as] the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Mar 7:14 And when he had called all the people [unto him], he said unto them, Hearken unto me every one [of you], and understand:

Mar 7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

Mar 7:16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

Mar 7:17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.

Mar 7:18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, [it] cannot defile him;

Mar 7:19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

Mar 7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

Mar 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Mar 7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

Mar 7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

2007/5/25 5:38Profile

Re:

Quote:
To condemn someone for smoking is the same thing.

I really wish folks here would stop using the term "condemn" when we discuss issues like this. Just because someone believes smoking is a sin doesnt mean they are condemning anyone. I dont think thats anyones intention or motivation.

I dont condemn homosexuals. What they do is a sin, I have a responsibility to call it sin... but I'm not condemning anyone. Only God condemns. I can only show them their guilt in the eyes of God and in light of scripture. Thats not condemning someone.

Thats like saying when someone is arrested for DUI the cops are condemning that person. They are not! They are enforcing the law... only the jury and the judge condemn.

Lets stop using the worlds logic and reason.

Krispy

2007/5/25 12:00
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

good point Krispy, if Jesus didn't do it, I'm not so sure we should either .

I'm convinced for my self it is wrong, and with all the knowledge we have today about smoking.

but the most serious thing is what scripture says about being slave to something else then Christ....

if one is a slave, it may be to cigarettes or whatever...its not a good thing!

2007/5/25 13:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy