SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Mr. Looking Both Ways." Exploring the meaning of Double-Mindedness

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

"Mr. Looking Both Ways." Exploring the meaning of Double-Mindedness

I wish to open a discussion on the topic of 'double mindedness.' This thread is a branch off of the "Once justified always justified" thread. The subject there being continuing in the faith. Here we have a slightly different issue and it is that of double-mindedness in our believing?

James 1:5-8
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6 [u]But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering.[/u] For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

8 A [u]double minded[/u] man is unstable in all his ways.

James is the only writer to use this language "two spirited" or "double minded" in the New Testament. The word for 'unstable' is similar to James 3 where it is said that where envy and strife is there is [i]confusion[/i]...

There seems to be an indication of believing and then doubting... up and down... up and down... like the wave of the sea. There is no settled state of believing.

The interesting thing is that in James 3:8 we have what appears to be the 'remedy' for double mindedness:

James 4:8

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

There seems to be a [i]relationship[/i] between the purity of heart and faith. If one starts to waver it is evidence, perhaps, of an impure heart. What is that connection? How could sin or impure thoughts of the heart (just supposing the issue is thoughts) effect our exercise of faith?

2007/5/16 21:52Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: "Mr. Looking Both Ways." Exploring the meaning of Double-Mindedness

An interesting discovery concerning Israel:

Hebrews 3:

And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were [u]disobedient?[/u] (NASB)

And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that were [u]disobedient?[/u] (ASV)

And to whom did he make an oath that they might not come into his rest? was it not to those who went[u]against his orders?[/u] (BBE)

And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that[u]believed not?[/u]KJV)

There seems to be a parallel between obedience and faith.

2007/5/17 9:08Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
There seems to be a relationship between the purity of heart and faith. If one starts to waver it is evidence, perhaps, of an impure heart. What is that connection? How could sin or impure thoughts of the heart (just supposing the issue is thoughts) effect our exercise of faith?

This verse immediately came to mind:

1Jo 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
1Jo 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, [then] have we confidence toward God.
1Jo 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

It would seem from that verse that if our heart isn't "pure" then we have problems having confidence toward God and prayers "of faith".

2007/5/17 10:22Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Preach: It would seem from that verse that if our heart isn't "pure" then we have problems having confidence toward God and prayers "of faith".

Good point. I suppose John here to mean conscience. This may well answer why the person who was supposed to "ask in faith", but yet was wavering should not expect to receive anything from God. If I regard iniquity in my heart... the Lord will not hear me.

So what about Israel? What do we learn from their wanderings? It seems that their disobedience was considered [u]unbelief[/u].

2007/5/17 11:21Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
So what about Israel? What do we learn from their wanderings? It seems that their disobedience was considered unbelief.

Yes, Joshua and Caleb called their inaction as a result of fear, rebellion. [i]"Only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not fear the people of the land, for they are bread for us. Their protection is removed from them, and the LORD is with us; do not fear them."[/i] (Num 14:9 ESV).

There are a few clear, battle-cry voices (Joshua and Caleb) urging us on and we know in our hearts that this is the voice of God, but the pessimists and our own fearful hearts tell us it would be unwise and risky.

I think you're right in the connection between pure hearts and faith. Clearly the Israelites could not "enter His rest" because there were several subtle, hidden sins in their hearts that were holding them back. In their wandering in the wilderness described in Numbers, we see God dealing with these sins; murmuring, jealousy, pride, unbelief, spiritual depression, impatience.

Thank God the call to enter the promised land of rest will last as long as life lasts. Sometimes only through the wilderness of our lost opportunities and self-despair do we grope our way to true belief-the belief that will cause us to rise up, conquer the mountain, and enter the land.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/5/17 12:26Profile

Re:

James 4:8 (KJV) 4: Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

2007/5/17 12:37
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
IntheLight: Thank God the call to enter the promised land of rest will last as long as life lasts. Sometimes only through the wilderness of our lost opportunities and self-despair do we grope our way to true belief-the belief that will cause us to rise up, conquer the mountain, and enter the land.

Hebrews mentions the chastening of the Lord. Can we suppose that the chastening is to the intent of causing us to believe God? What I mean is, if God says don't do certain things and we do it and there is no consequence- soon we may no longer 'believe Him'. So the chastening keeps us in faith. Make sense? What do you think?

2007/5/17 14:01Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
... purify your hearts

If we start out with a new heart then it seems that it can become somehow 'impure'. What are the impurities and what is the method of cleansing?

2007/5/17 14:02Profile

Re:

Quote:

...What are the impurities and what is the method of cleansing?

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." James 1:27

2007/5/17 14:09
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Hebrews mentions the chastening of the Lord. Can we suppose that the chastening is to the intent of causing us to believe God? What I mean is, if God says don't do certain things and we do it and there is no consequence- soon we may no longer 'believe Him'. So the chastening keeps us in faith. Make sense? What do you think?

That makes sense to me. It's kind of the way I lean on the issue. I think once Ron B made a case saying that chastening doesn't always deal with someone who is disobedient. Maybe he could jump in and give a quick overview of that again.

I think this verse was the key verse.

Hbr 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

2007/5/17 14:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy