Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : College

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jamezosn

Mexico City

College

I am in a very liberal College at the moment, and happen to disagree with much of what is said. Somehow God and Christianity are very constant subjects, subjects people seem to know very little about to be honest. Should I be constantly correcting every slight misconception that comes up, or only the major ones? Ive been trying to choose my battles and correct only the most blatant errors...but usually I end up with a strange feeling that I should have done something else both when I remain silent and when I correct people. Any Help? :-(

2007/5/7 3:30Profile

Re: College

Quote:

jamezosn wrote:
I am in a very liberal College at the moment, and happen to disagree with much of what is said. Somehow God and Christianity are very constant subjects, subjects people seem to know very little about to be honest. Should I be constantly correcting every slight misconception that comes up, or only the major ones? Ive been trying to choose my battles and correct only the most blatant errors...but usually I end up with a strange feeling that I should have done something else both when I remain silent and when I correct people. Any Help? :-(

Its difficult, isn't it. Maybe something from my own experience of theological college might help, though it wasn't all that lliberal.

There was one lecturer who had had a lot of trouble with strongly evangelical students a while before I was there. They had apparently complained about his teaching, and i think some of them had left the college, and the denomination because of it, (it was the training college for the whole of that denomination).

I began to notice that when there were Evangelical students in class he would teach from a more liberal standpoint. When there were more liberal students he would teach from a more conservative view. I got the impression he was deliberately trying to wind people up, to get them thinking and challenge their views.

Some of the things he said rather upset and angered me, though I kept quiet. I decided to sit in the lectures and pray silently (in tongues, so it was still possible to take notes and concentrate on the lecture as well!)

Gradually I found MY OWN attitude to him changing! I grew to respect and like him, in spite of some of the things he said.

Because it was a small college the classes tended to be small, and we were encouraged to ask questions, which I often did. My essays also showed my stance of course, but this professor was OK with that as long as I'd researched and thought out the matter properly and could support my views in a logical and rational way.

In one course of lectures there were only three of us, and the other two dropped out of that course, so there was only him and me. The couse and the marking were internal, so, as long as the basic coursework was covered, we could study whatever we wanted. One day we spent an hour's lecture debating the liberal idea that the book of Isaiah was written by two or three different people!

Oe time I happened to be in the entrance hall when some visitors were there. The professor saw me and introduced me to the man he was talking to. He said "This is my favourite arguer!"

I think he liked and respected me too, but it took a lot of work and prayer! The thing was that the Lord got my attitude to him right first, then we developed a good working relationship. He sensed I respected him and wasn't being confrontational for the sake of it.

Another thing is that theologians use certain things that may offend us, as technical terms. For example, Cult, or cultus, simply means the formal or ritual aspects of worship, as in the OT sacrificial system. And "myth" means any supernatural occurance. The "myth" in this sense might well be true, but technically its still called that.

Hope that helps - though it sounds as if you have a tougher job than I did!

In Him

Jeannette

2007/5/7 7:26
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

I also went to a very liberal public university... and some of the Christians that come out of public uni's are larger than life compared to some of them that come out of Christian colleges, one reason -battle testing.

When you realize that your campus is very much in the clutches of satanic oppression you realize that every interaction that you have with people on the campus is a battle for that person's eternal soul. You are a soldier of Christ.

Now more often than not this isn't permission to start attacking that person. No, Satan is hard at work training people to deflect Christian criticism. No, just show them a life sold out for Jesus, and they'll see a life that they do not have.

2007/5/7 11:50Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi jamezosn...

I think that nearly EVERY college is "liberal" in a political and social sense (including quite a few Christian schools). One book explained that this was a result of a mass residence in college during Vietnam -- where those staying in school were able to avoid the draft. As a result, many non-typical "academics" were able to earn graduate diplomas and influence the next generations of college students.

I want to interject that we should EXPECT all such schools to be less-than-favorable toward Christianity -- because we live in a society that is becoming increasingly liberal in this sense.

As for correcting the unbeliever...

We should certainly use wisdom for such matters. This not only applies to a college setting, but also to our lives in this world. Christians are probably the most misunderstood group in the world. Most social liberals that I know have stereotyped Christians as a large group of gullible, egotistical individuals with small intellects. They abhore the "religious right" and stereotype all such individuals within a small group of loud and looney preachers. These groups have turned terms like "[i]fundamentalist[/i]," "[i]evangelical[/i]," "[i]pentecostal[/i]," "[i]Church people[/i]," and the "[i]religious right[/i]" into vile slur words. They have demonized and villified believers and preachers because of their own social perspectives.

Professors and individuals that I know in the world are often surprised when I agree with some of their assessments about certain aspects of the "faith" (particularly the hypocrisy of such loud public figures). I have explained that I am not a mindless, arrogant "religious fanatic." I explain that I simply strive to have a relationship with the Lord. I admit that there are certain aspects of Christianity that can sometimes be confusing or difficult to understand. I explain that the Biblical definition of a "Christian" is not confined to a "Church goer."

The western world seems to have divided "Christianity" into two camps.

1. Those who attend pray and attend Church but don't take the Bible literally or their faith "too seriously." In my opinion, this is the predominant view of many social liberals. For instance, a recent New York Times interview explained that Presidential candidate Barack Obama claims to be a "Christian" -- yet he doesn't hold to the faith in a literal "spiritual sense." He doubts the miracles and historical truth in the Bible, and isn't quite certain about the existance of an "afterlife."

2. Those who take their faith in Christ seriously. The world categorizes these as "fundamentalists." However, this category consists of all sorts of supposed "Christians" -- from the "pentecostals" and "evangelicals" to "Mormons" and the "Jehovah's Witnesses." The world simply throws all of such believers into a single category.

What should a believer do? I would admonish you to simply "shine your light" (Matthew 5:16). Be yourself in Christ Jesus! You don't have to purposely offend people who misunderstand your faith in Christ. However, you also can take a stand against impropriety of offenses of God.

I will be praying for you! Be encouraged: There are many other believers going through the same thing!

:-)

2007/5/7 11:59Profile

Quote:
Should I be constantly correcting every slight misconception that comes up, or only the major ones?

This is a question you need to ask God for the answer to instead of men.

2007/5/7 15:04

Hi again, jamezosn

Just remembered that "liberal" in America doesn't necessarily mean thologically liberal. Maybe its the same in Mexico?

Is your college a theological college? When you said it was liberal I assumed you were studying theology because that's what it would mean here in the UK.

Here, liberal politics have no connection with liberal theology or morals. And being politically conservative says nothing about your beliefs. A non church-going atheist might easily vote conservative in an election.

Jeannette

2007/5/7 16:31
Koheleth

NC

Quote:

Quote:

Should I be constantly correcting every slight misconception that comes up, or only the major ones?

This is a question you need to ask God for the answer to instead of men.

I would like to affirm and amen this answer. You can get many opinions here, even valuable ones, but you will never get the will of God for your situation. The best you will get are some Scriptures to pray over. Send a post to God and read his answer. The reason may people do not do this is, it is far easier to read an internet post than listen for the will of God. Only God knows the individuals you are in touch with and what their needs and the state of their souls are.

2007/5/7 17:48Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy