Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Two Questions

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Two Questions

What do you all think of braiding hair and of taking on debt?

Jordan

2007/5/6 20:05Profile

Re: Two Questions

Interesting questions. One could add make-up, wearing jewellery, and fashion.

Maybe its all to do with our attitude. God doesn't look on the outward appearance but on the heart.

Personally I want my hair to look nice with the least possible trouble!

Except for very special occasions I gave up makeup years ago out of sheer laziness!

And I hate getting into debt, although I have had to do it once or twice, (for example when buying a car, needed for work)

A mortgage is a huge debt too, but very few house owners don't have one, and in Western society I don's see how it can be avoided in most cases. Not sure what the Lord is saying about it though. Must have a think, and pray about it!

Jeannette

2007/5/7 7:51
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

On Debt: Anyone who borrows money to buy unnecessary items they don't want to wait to save up for are insane, for not only are they a slave to the lender, but they end up pay 2 to 4 times as much for what they purchase than they need to. Only a mortgage seems to be reasonable, for if not a mortgage, you have to pay rent, and at least you are getting somewhere. But the ideal is to owe nothing, and lend a lot.

[color=993300]Proverbs 22:7. The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.[/color]

On the decorative braiding of hair - it's a matter of vanity, wasted time, money, and gossip, for intricate braiding takes a long time and is boring to go through.

On the other hand, it provides employment to the hairdresser; provides a neat appearance for those with long kinky hair, and you can get a lot of reading done - it takes on average over ten hours for the intricate, narrow braiding that looks so pretty.

But Peter disapproved of it. It might have been cultural, or a foreign custom he thought was not a good thing.

[color=993300]1 Peter 3:3. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel.[/color]

However, I think when it comes to a woman's personal appearance that moderation in all things is the key.

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/5/7 8:11Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Concerning the braiding of hair, Peter is telling women that they should not place their worth and beauty on the external things, but on the internal things. Peter is not saying that the braiding of hair and wearing of gold is sinful in itself..notice that he even throws in "or of putting on of apparel". No one is going to say that wearing clothing is sinful. Point being, a women's beauty is internal and not external and women need to understand this.

1 Peter 3

1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

2While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

As for debt, avoid it at all costs! I am learning this the hard way.

2007/5/7 8:52Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

-------------------------------------
DEBT

[color=0000CC]Romans 13:8 NAS
Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.[/color]

Proverbs 22:7 states that a borrow is servant to the lender. What follow of Christ desires to serve anyone or anything except Him?

BRAIDING HAIR

I agree with JaySaved on this:

Quote:
Concerning the braiding of hair, Peter is telling women that they should not place their worth and beauty on the external things, but on the internal things.

This scripture must be viewed in the cultural context of which Peter wrote. As such, we must ask the question: How was braiding of hair seen in Peter's culture? How is this similar to our own culture?

This is also an issue that resides in the conscience of each person as the Lord leads. As such, Romans 14:1-23 applies.

In Christ,
Blake

2007/5/7 9:57Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

What about this verse?

1Ti 2:9 ¶ In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Does this mean all braiding or just elaborate braiding?

Jordan

2007/5/7 15:35Profile

Debt: If your not in debt your most fortunate. Mostly everyone is in some sort of debt, it's kind of hard not to, but not impossible.

I think Uniquewebrev hit the nail correctly, regarding the time it takes to plait the hair. Peter is certainly not advocating that women not adorn themselves, but rather don't spend all day on the outward appearence but rather on the inward man of the heart. It is natural for a woman to beautify herself, most men just get up in the morning splash some water on his face and off he goes. A woman on the other hand can spend over an hour getting herself ready, while he is in the car waiting saying, "How long does it take to put eye shadow on". :-P

2007/5/7 16:51

Re:

I don't think that a woman should look deliberately dowdy, as is the "fashion" in some Christian groups, but as Jay (and others) said, its a matter of the heart, and not spending hours primping and preening. Otherwise our appearance becomes our "god" - self worship, which is idolatry.

I think a married woman should basically dress to please her husband, as long as he also allows her freedom to express her own tastes through what she wears, or doesn't want her to wear anything really immodest to go out. After all, he is the one who should be able to enjoy the privilege of looking at her!

Jeannette

2007/5/7 17:16

Re:

Quote:

HomeFree89 wrote:
What about this verse?

1Ti 2:9 ¶ In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Does this mean all braiding or just elaborate braiding?

Jordan

Just looked up "adorn" and "modest". They both seem to come from the root word that gives us the English word "cosmetic".

Where's my lipstick? :-P

2007/5/7 17:22

Re:

If the barn needs paintin'... paint it.

I dont have a problem with women wearing make-up, or having nice hair, so long as it is done modestly and not in a way that it would over-shadow her godly personality.

My wife is an extraordinarily beautiful woman, and I believe her looks only enhance her radiantly godly personality. It compliments it, not runs over top of it... know what I mean? (she hardly ever reads anything I post on here, so no... I'm not going after browny points!)

As for debt, there are many different ideas about it. I think as much as possible we should be debt free. I am. :-) I dont even have a mortgage anymore.

Krispy

2007/5/7 17:37

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy