SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Spirit of Truth - Art Katz & Paul Volk

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

The Spirit of Truth - Art Katz & Paul Volk

I have been reading this book [url=http://www.benisrael.org/OnlineBooks/spirit_of_truth/contents_SoT.htm]online[/url] and I am finding that it is another great signpost on the road to Christ. Here is a quote from it that really struck me;

"We have worn crosses around our necks and attached them to the dashboards of our cars, but a dedication to truth will inevitably transform the cross from harmless decoration into a very real, daily experience. Purging the spirit of the lie is not painless. Every compromise, every exaggeration, and every lie is, in essence, an avoidance of humiliation and death. Like the serpent's first lie in the garden, every lie since is calculated to appeal to and exalt ambition, vanity, self-gratification, and pride; that is, everything that crucified the Lord, and everything He died to set us free from. The choice to walk in the truth is the choice to take up one's cross and follow Him daily. That is why truth is not very popular, why it is far easier to talk about it than to walk in it. Turning a pragmatic truce in a marriage into a real peace will require a measure of anguish and travail. This is why pragmatic truces tend to become as much the norm in Christian marriages as in worldly ones.

To slow down and barely slide through a stop sign is not ninety percent obedience; it is one hundred percent failure to stop. To exaggerate just a little, to perform and manipulate emotions from behind the pulpit just a little, to pretend and to posture just a little is to lie completely. We seem to have brought our experience of the classroom over into our relationship with God. We come to the Lord as students to their teacher at the start of the school year, asking, "What is the minimum I have to do to ?get by??" What is the passing grade for this Christian life? Will sixty-five percent truth do? Truth is absolute, and something is either the whole truth, or it is not truth at all. Such absoluteness is very foreign to us. We have been so thoroughly schooled in the relativism of the world that it seems incredible that God's passing grade could actually be one hundred percent. Even the least bit of leaven still leavens the whole lump."

2004/4/3 20:23Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Re: The Spirit of Truth - Art Katz & Paul Volk

Hello Ron,

I just want to add my voice to yours. This is a powerful, powerful book and well worth reading by anyone who wants to live a genuine, authentic life before God and man and is willing to pay the price of the humiliation involved in dying to everything false in themselves..

Roger

2004/4/5 12:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy