SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What Still Applies to Christians from the OT?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

What Still Applies to Christians from the OT?

I've talked with several people lately that have brought up things from the OT. It got me thinking, what still applies to Christians and what doesn't? I know we don't have to kill sheep anymore, but what about the non-sacrifical laws. I've heard people use certain scriptures for their arguments, but then when you bring up a law from the next half of the chapter they say we don't have to do that. What gives?

Jordan

2007/5/1 20:27Profile
jordanamo

Re: What Still Applies to Christians from the OT?

Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, mind, and strength.. and love thy neighbor as thyself. Both from Deuteronomy and both noted by Jesus as fulfilling the Law in totality. The heart of the OT is the sovereignty of God displayed in so many forms-- that's what remains, and is in effect forever-- and that's what God wanted to teach us via it as a way to understand God as God via his specificity (Israel) judgement (Sodom, Adam, etc.) and love/mercy (Jesus) [which while you may not think is in the OT and many people act like He isn't... IS actually in it... just gotta read between the lines!]-- pretty much. Other people can expand and expound.

Jordan

P.S. The heart of the Law remains.. the formalities of it does not. Bringing up scriptures from the OT in their formalities and out of context is an erroneous act that many do without understanding the New Covenant contextual basis of it.

2007/5/1 22:07Profile
davidt

I believe that many things are no longer applicable like sacrificing animals. However there are other things that are though not 100% necessary. Like for instance certain foods that are unclean may be unhealthy and so it would be good for us to obey the law, or to rest one day a week. Though I don't think to many Americans have a problem with that. Then there are things that we are still forbidden to do like Murder or steal, if we do these things how can the love of God abide in us?

2007/5/2 2:14Profile

When asked about the greatest of the Commandments, Jesus replied, "The first of all the commandments is, HEAR, O ISRAEL; THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD: AND THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THEY GOD WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY MIND, AND WITH ALL THY STRENGTH: this is the first commandment. And the scond is like, namely this, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF. There is none other commandment greater than these." (MARK 12:30-31)

Adam was created to love his Creator more than anything or anyone else. He was also made to love his wife, and all their offspring, as himself - but not near as much as he was to love God. But Adam loved Eve more than God, and trusted her word over His... and as one sin broke those two perfect and profound Commandments, the exponential multiplication of sin resulted in the exponential growth of laws and judgements to counter the effects of sin...

When Jesus was asked about divorce he said, "Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so." (MATT 19:18)

If we obeyed the second Commandment, and loved our wives as ourselves, there would be no need to leave her and no need for divorce law. The multitude of sins created the need for a multitude of laws and punishments. Lawmaking got way out of hand by the time Jesus came to Jerusalem.

When the Pharisees caught the Desciples picking corn on the sabbath, and accused them of lawlessness, Jesus replied, "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath..." (MARK 2:27)

The sabbath was instituted by God as a day of rest for free men, slaves, and even animals - a day to worship, recoup, and refresh our minds, bodies, and souls. But we weren't created to serve the sabbath; the sabbath was created to serve man.

The first God-given "human right", if you will.

“If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free… ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with my father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.” (JOHN 8:31-38)

My opinion of this scripture is that the lawyers and pharisees got way too focused on fault-finding, making laws to counter those errors, and finding loopholes in theose very laws to escape their own condemnation (being mortals and thusly, sinners themselves). As the chief sinner, Satan, accused and persecuted Man, they, as children of Satan, accused and persecuted everyone but themselves.

Jesus, as the defender of Man, swept away the laws of worldly men by taking the sins of Man onto Himself on Calvary, killing them as He was killed, and dumping them, and the countless, pathetic, futile laws of men, where they belong... in hell.

He has returned us to the original two Commandments -Love God above all else; Love others as you love yourself. If one obeys these two commandments, it is impossible for him to sin.

Forgiveness and mercy now trump law and judgement. Instead of finding a law somewhere that condemns the person that hurt me, I find I love him as myself, forgive him as I've been forgiven, and get on with my life. Freedom!!!

(Though I personally am nowhere near as forgiving as I ought to be).

“Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” (II COR 3:17)

"So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.” (GAL 4:31)

“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” (GAL 5:1)

2007/5/2 6:23
rookie

Re:

The just shall live by faith.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/5/2 6:28Profile

Quote:

HomeFree89 wrote:
I've talked with several people lately that have brought up things from the OT. It got me thinking, what still applies to Christians and what doesn't? I know we don't have to kill sheep anymore, but what about the non-sacrifical laws. I've heard people use certain scriptures for their arguments, but then when you bring up a law from the next half of the chapter they say we don't have to do that. What gives?

Jordan

I think its the fact that the essentials of the Law is no longer an external set of rules but written on the heart. (Jeremiah 31: 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD. I will place my law within them, and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 No longer will they have need to teach their friends and kinsmen how to know the LORD. All, from least to greatest, shall know me, says the LORD, for I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sin no more."

Not the Law but the means of fulfillment of it, has changed.

The moral law was always in force but man couldn't keep it. The ritual law, (sacrifices etc) was all fulfilled in Christ. They were "types" or leading up to what Jesus did, so are not needed since He came.

Blessings

jeannette

2007/5/2 18:27
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:

Not the Law but the means of fulfillment of it, has changed.

I had someone tell me that, but Jesus gave us new commands (John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.) and God did say we could eat unclean things which we couldn't have done in the OT.

Thanks,

Jordan

2007/5/2 20:31Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Where we follow Christ in truth, we are not subject to the law, because we have obeyed. Where we fail to follow Christ, the law guides us back to Him.

Interestingly enough, we must read the law as part of seeing what Christ is doing in order to follow Him.

2007/5/3 6:03Profile

Re:

What Still Applies to Christians from the OT?

Tithing... according to most preachers.

;-)

Krispy

2007/5/3 7:33
vico

Re:

Tithing... and every other part of it! ;-)

2007/5/3 18:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy