SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Old and New Testament saints: Any difference?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Old and New Testament saints: Any difference?

This came up recently in a local Bible study, although not a completely new concept to me:

Some teach that the men and women of God in the Old Testament were not truly born again because the Holy Spirit hadn't yet come to dwell permanently in the hearts of believers.

They say that no-one was actually born again until the Day of Pentecost.

What do you think? I used to believe it simply because of hearing this teaching from men of God who I couldn't imagine ever being wrong about anything!

Maybe I've grown up a little since then :-D

jeannette

2007/4/30 18:49
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Old and New Testament saints: Any difference?

How many "born again believers" do you know today that have the testimony of writer of Psalm 119?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/4/30 22:41Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

I would say that the difference is one of perspective. OT saints looking foward in faith to Christ; NT saints looking back in faith to Christ.

2007/4/30 22:56Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Jeremy wrote:

Quote:
I would say that the difference is one of perspective. OT saints looking foward in faith to Christ; NT saints looking back in faith to Christ.

Actually, aren't we all still looking foward for the redemption that has been promised to us. Aren't we all waiting for the day that we will truly see Christ as He is?

Just some thoughts

In Christ
Jeff

2007/5/1 2:41Profile

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:
This came up recently in a local Bible study, although not a completely new concept to me:

Some teach that the men and women of God in the Old Testament were not truly born again because the Holy Spirit hadn't yet come to dwell permanently in the hearts of believers.

What do you think? I used to believe it simply because of hearing this teaching from men of God who I couldn't imagine ever being wrong about anything!

Maybe I've grown up a little since then :-D

jeannette

The first born again believers are found in John 20.22, the indwelling. Therefore, Pentecost was not the born again experience. Pentecost was the receiving of the Promise of the Father; the coming upon of the Holy Spirit to be able/to learn to function in the things of God as Jesus, the man did.

2007/5/1 5:13
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:

This would be my perspective too. Suppose we begin in a different area by asking questions about Covenants. Are there differences in Covenants? Are the conditions different and the blessings different? What does God mean when he says, through Jeremiah...“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: [u]Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers[/u] in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt...” (Jer 31:31-32 KJVS)If the New Covenant was not going to be like the Old Covenant, how would it be different? and if it is different how would that difference affect those who were part of these different covenants?

2007/5/1 5:21Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Ron wrote:

Quote:
Suppose we begin in a different area by asking questions about Covenants. Are there differences in Covenants?

I have a question, is the covenant that God made with Abraham different from the covenant God makes with us?

Gen. 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.”

In Christ
Jeff

2007/5/1 6:15Profile

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
Quote:

This would be my perspective too.

In light of John 20.22, how can it be an accurate perspective inasmuch as eveyone would have to speak in tongues as evidence of being born again. That is "Oneness Pentecostal" speak.

FWIW, I am a Pentecostal ... but not of the "oneness" sort.

2007/5/1 6:22

Re:

Quote:
Jeff wrote: How many "born again believers" do you know today that have the testimony of writer of Psalm 119?

hulsey wrote:

Great comments! I like your "soundbites" - so to the point!

Jeannette

2007/5/1 6:57

Re:

Quote:

rookie wrote:
Brother Jeremy wrote:

Quote:

Actually, aren't we all still looking foward for the redemption that has been promised to us. Aren't we all waiting for the day that we will truly see Christ as He is?

Just some thoughts

In Christ
Jeff

That's so true too

J

2007/5/1 7:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy