SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Needed: Mother’s Day sermons, articles, teachings, poems etc…

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Needed: Mother’s Day sermons, articles, teachings, poems etc…

I have been asked to present the message Mother’s Day morning at my Church. I have an idea of what the message will be…but I was hoping to gather some other info to peruse before hand.

So…does anyone have any Mother’s Day related sermons, teachings, articles, poems etc…they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

2007/4/30 16:59Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Needed: Mother’s Day sermons, articles, teachings, poems etc…

Anyone?

2007/5/4 13:55Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I found one on the site.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=7798

I don't know anything about the speaker though.

2007/5/4 14:04Profile
Tears_of_joy

Hi TJ,

I must admit that I am not very comfortable with such holidays as mother's, father's women's days etc I cannot find any biblical support for them and most of the roots of these "days" are very suspicious.
However, recently I saw some good articles for encouragement for christian mothers, you can use them.

[b]Encouragement For Mother’s (I)[/b]

Words For The Christian Mother

“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” -Proverbs 22:6

[b]MOTHERS, your children are not given, but only lent to you, to be educated for God.[/b] That little immortal now slumbering in your arms, in all the loveliness of helpless infancy, will live forever. Forever that existence will be prolonged, either in a state of the most insupportable and never-ending agony, “where the worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched;” (Mark 9:44) and “tormented day and night, forever and ever” (Rev. 20:10) their voices “calling upon the rocks and the mountains to fall upon them, and hide them from the wrath of the Lamb” (Rev. 6:16); or their exulting notes will be heard on high among “harpers with their harps, and singing a new song before the throne,” (Rev. 14:23) “saying, salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb,” (Rev. 7:10).

Consider well these things, Christian Mothers! And decide what shall be your motives in training and educating your children. Here pause, and decide what is the supreme good you most earnestly seek as well as desire for them. Halt no longer between two opinions. Attempt not to reconcile opposing kingdoms of “the Prince of Peace,” and the “Prince of this world,”–for our blessed Redeemer has explicitly declared that “the Prince of this world hath nothing in him,” and that “no man can serve two masters.”

Some mothers have no hesitation in confessing theoretically, that religion is the most valuable possession, and the most to be desired for their children; but if a mother practically appears more anxious for her child to acquire wealth or distinction, to become an accomplished and scientific scholar, than a real devoted Christian,–if she testify more solicitude that her child should possess great skill in any of the arts, for instance, in music or painting; than a knowledge of God, the Creator, Redeemer, and Preserver,–and if she accustom that child to refer to the praise of man as the object to be desired,–that mother may indeed teach her child the letter of God’s Word, but she must not expect to see him influenced by its Spirit as the effect of her instructions.

If you wish to immolate your children upon the altar of the “Prince of this world,” then you will undoubtedly use every effort and every stimulant to make them shine in the sphere for which you are training them. Here, again, I conjure you to pause! While the light footsteps of fashion’s thoughtless votary tread only upon the roseleaves strewn along their path, they are content; but when thorns pierce their tender feet, how bitterly do they suffer from those bleeding wounds! Bear in mind that the brilliant talents, cultivated in their utmost extent, and the best stored mind, without “a new heart,” are but a fragrant and gorgeous wreath, crowning the victim sacrificed on the altar of this world. Remember too, that the most amiable temper, and most fascinating presence, though they may be lovely ornaments on earth, will not avail in the sight of God. Though your ear be continually greeted with your child’s praises, yet remember that “without holiness” that child “cannot see the Lord.”

[b]Oh, mothers! I would implore you, if possible, to dismiss the world from your thoughts, so far as regards the raising of those little immortals, entrusted especially to you. Set up a different standard for your children from that of the world. Teach them to compare themselves with the requisitions of the Word of God, and not with the world around them.[/b] Thus you will plant in their bosom the fairest flower of heavenly growth–humility. If you wish your child to be meek and submissive, do not set before him the low motive of such and such conduct being attractive, and likely to obtain the praise of men; but encourage lovely traits of character upon the lofty principle of imitating the example of Christ. Do not correct a proud and haughtly spirit by telling your child that no one will love and admire him if he is proud–but tell him that “God resisteth the proud,” and condemns pride in every form. Talk not to them of wishing them to have a name in the world–do not wish it, but instruct them to live above the world. Teach them not worldly wisdom, for “the wisdom of the world is foolishness with God”–but endeavor to inculcate in them an habitual indifference to “the friendship of the world,” warning them that “it is emnity to God.” Should they possess its dangerous friendship, they would almost inevitably prize it beyond its value.

Christ says, “Without me ye can do nothing.” [b]How fervent and frequent therefore should be a mother’s prayers! [/b]This is in fact her first privilege as well as duty, and one which ought to commence even before the birth of her first-born babe, humbly to implore divine assistance to enable her to faithfully discharge the important obligations which its expected birth will devolve upon her. [b]Mothers! Pour out your souls in prayer for your beloved children–pray that they make “their calling and election sure.”[/b] Pray fervently, in firm dependance on Him, who has promised, “All things whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.” (Matt. 21:22) See also James 1:6- 8.

[b]Teach your children that “they must set their affections on things above.”[/b] Refer them to Matthew 6:2, where our Redeemer condemns the desire “to have glory of men,” saying “verily I say unto you, they have their reward.” Pause! and consider well what that reward is!

Wilt Thou, Heavenly Father, impress these truths upon every mother’s heart? Aid them to fulfill all Thy commands; to train up their children in the way they should go;” to teach them Thy laws, “when they sit in the house, and when they walk by the way, when they lie down, and when they rise up;” and when their fretful hearts prompt them to exclaim, “Who is sufficient for these things?” may they remember that “Thy grace is sufficient for them, and Thy strength made perfect in weakness.” Hear us, O God! Increase our diligence in action; increase our fervor in prayer; and above all, we implore Thee to “increase our faith.”

[i]-taken from The Mother’s Magazine (1836). The author is unknown.[/i]

2007/5/4 14:14Profile
Tears_of_joy

[b]Encouragement For Mothers (II)[/b]

Stand in the gap, continually pointing out before our children ‘the way, the truth, and the life;’ not only in opposition to the world, the flesh, and the devil, but we must take our stand also against a certain combination of evil which presents itself under the garb of religion, and which is somewhat composed of puny romance, self-exultation, and specious holiness. This counterfeit is as contaminating as it is attractive, ensnaring and spoiling ‘through vain deceit, and after the traditions of men,’ multitudes of the rising generation. This is not being taught ‘the truth as it is in Jesus;’ and woeful, indeed, is the development of this ‘will-worship,’ as it rises into maturity out of the Church of England into Rome!

Mothers have very special cause to watch against this soul-destroying defilement, and regard it as one of the many signs of the time we live in, to warn us of the devices of the enemy, and to prepare us for the coming conflict.

[i]-Taken from Mrs. Stace’s Voice to Mothers, 1859.[/i]

2007/5/4 14:16Profile
Tears_of_joy

[b]Encouragement For Mothers (III)[/b]

The mother of a family was married to an infidel, who made jest of religion in the presence of his own children; yet she succeeded in bringing them all up in the fear of the Lord. I asked her one day how she preserved them from the influence of a father whose sentiments were so opposed to her own. This was her answer: ‘Because to the authority of a father I do not oppose the authority of a mother, but that of God. From their earliest years, my children have always seen the Bible upon my table. This holy book has constituted the whole of their religious instruction. I was silent, that I might allow it to speak. Did they propose a question, did they commit a fault, did they perform a good action, I opened the Bible; and the Bible answered, reproved, or encouraged them. The constant reading of the Scriptures has wrought the prodigy which surprises you.’ -The Writings of Rev. Adolph Monod.

[i]-Taken from The Christian Treasury, 1867, pg.35.[/i]

2007/5/4 14:19Profile
Tears_of_joy

Here is an old thread on this subject:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1894&forum=35]Continue on![/url]

2007/5/4 14:25Profile
roadsign

Re: Finding spiritual Rest: Lessons from Motherhood

Here is what I will be sharing in my church on Mother's Day:
-----------

Finding Spiritual Rest
lessons from motherhood

Tim and I have four children – aged 21 to 29 – two girls and two boys. When our children were young, nothing was more important to me than being a good mom. I took my motherhood role very seriously. No doubt I had absorbed my values from my Dutch heritage. The Dutch were conscientious, hard workers, resourceful, and persevering – a lot like the Scots, right?

Just like my parents, I wanted to offer my children every good thing that was available for them – I don’t mean material indulgences, but opportunities to enrich their lives and help them become well-adjusted citizens who loved God and others. And there is a lot available out there – like the library, government programs, clubs, educational resources, and sights to see. Then there were my own natural abilities, including my past education – like my nursing, music, informal training, church background, and my rich experiences.

I knew how to get by. Whenever I was unsure about any aspect of child rearing, I would ask someone or find a book about it. I wanted to provide the best any mother could, and for a time I did quite well. People even praised me for being a good mom.

But my ideals rested on a shaky foundation. They depended on my own strength, on others, and on society. Also, hidden under the surface of my noble desires, were all kinds of selfish motives: I wanted to cover my nagging insecurities. I wanted to please people so that they would accept me. I wanted to feel in control. I was task-driven, yet weak in the area of relationship.

Of course, God could see through my illusions about life and my faulty goals. He knew that I had placed my trust on a shaky foundation. But I had no idea – that is, until that foundation began to crumble. And it did – through an extended series of crisis in my family, during which I discovered a far more secure way of life:

In 1989 my two oldest children, then 9 and 11 were diagnosed with diabetes on the same day. Shortly afterwards I became ill with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; but didn’t know that for a long time. That led to several complications - involving medical, educational, social, emotional, and relational challenges. I could not keep on top of things. We as a family were unraveling. It was horrible. I felt like I was struck down, and there was no way I could get up. Rev. Samuel’s recent sermon in which she told how the apostle Paul was struck down and blinded by God on the road to Damascus reminded me of my own experiences. I too was zealously going in the wrong direction.

One day I was traveling down the highway to take a child to the doctor. A slow vehicle was in front of me, and so I pulled out to pass. I could not understand why the transport truck coming my way had pulled over to the shoulder. My illness had hampered my ability to think. (That is a common symptom of CFS.) Some days I could not think how to prepare food for the children, or I didn’t have the strength. That’s not good for diabetics who need strict dietary routines.

I believe that many times God spared us from the potentially harmful effects of our various incapacities. For example: One cold wintry day I noticed that my son did not return home from school, and so I went looking for him. I found him face down in the snow in the schoolyard. He had succumbed to an insulin reaction. I managed to carry him home and restore him, all the while grateful to God for giving me the strength.

During the worst of those days, I wished that Tim could have been more involved. But, alas, I had to accept the fact that he needed to focus on his teaching job – and bring in the income. I needed to lean on God.

We were a vulnerable family with so many needs. Many times people let us down - like when doctors made mistakes, or friends didn’t understand, or teachers ignored recommendations. My illusions about mankind were fast eroding. Really, no people could fix our family. We were too broken to fix. But in many ways, they were too. We live in a broken world that often does not or cannot come through for us in the way we hope. You, no doubt, have discovered that we can’t even live up to our own expectations!

I became very disillusioned in myself. I was failing to be a good mom, or a good Christian, or a good anything. I thought God couldn’t possibly love me anymore. I experienced a lot of guilt - not only for disappointing God, but also for constantly letting people down. I was unreliable.

But during those days some very good things happened as a result of those not-so-good things. And that made it all worth it. My task-orientation was replaced with a focus on relationship – beginning with my relationship with God. I discovered that God’s love was not dependent on my goodness and my excellent church record, but on his amazing grace.

I was learning to seek God like I had never done before. I didn’t have energy for much, but I could read and pray. The Bible came alive and made brand-new sense. I saw that it is not just a book of rules and sweet meditations - but it is God’s message to humanity, and shows how he draws us into relationship with him.

I discover what Jesus meant when he said:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened
and I will give you rest.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Mat. 11:28

Jesus promises to carry our loads if we enter into a relationship with him. Jesus wasn’t merely talking about rest for a physical weariness, but for a different kind of weariness. He said,

"…you will find rest for your SOULS. Matt. 11:29

He is talking about the burden of guilt. Guilt is a terrible load. It wearies us. I couldn’t see it in me, though. As long as I had enough energy and ability to do the right things – like be a good mother, I could keep my guilt suppressed – out of consciousness. I had no idea that through my zealous efforts I was really keeping God at a distance. I was trying to cover my guilt and shame myself, you know, like Adam and Eve did when they made fig leaves, and then wouldn’t admit their sin to God.

Hiding our guilt is hard work. We will eventually collapse under the load that we create for ourselves. It also separates us from God.

I needed to see my need for Christ, not only to protect me and provide for my daily temporal needs, but also to be a Savior – to forgive me and save me from the eventual destruction of condemnation. I needed God to lead me into his wonderful rest.

That is the same gift that countless Christians have discovered, and we share in that joy every Sunday - through the hymns that some of them wrote, like John Newton's “Amazing Grace”, or Fanny Crosby's “Blessed Assurance"

While I have enjoyed singing their songs for many years, I have also needed my own journey.

Diane

2007/5/4 14:31Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
I must admit that I am not very comfortable with such holidays as mother's, father's women's days etc I cannot find any biblical support for them and most of the roots of these "days" are very suspicious.

This is one of the reasons for my investigation on this topic. Thanks for your help.

2007/5/4 14:41Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Thank you for sharing this Diane. :-)

2007/5/4 14:42Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy