SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : I want to die

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread

Re: I want to die

stantheman said

Quote:
please go ask the youth pastor if he did something wrong,

I have two questions for you.

Are you offering this suggestion because the Lord has laid it on your heart, or is it from your own natural thinking?

[i]Why[/i] are Christians expected to abstain from fornication?

(I don't mean [i]does the New Testament teach that fornication is a sin?[/i] Nor do I mean [i]what does the New Testament say about fornicators?[/i])

2007/5/5 8:24
Spitfire

Re:

Quote:
so that's it huh? You're gonna give up?

Nah. I ain't giving up. I will speak to the youth pastor when the time is right. Meanwhile, I've been praying that God will grant me the grace to speak to him in love and from the mind of Christ. I like your style, Stan. :-D Love, Dian.

2007/5/5 8:47Profile
stantheman

Adelaide, Australia

Re:

I believe it's what the Lord has laid on my heart.

well, first of all who expects us to abstain from fornication? people or God? God expects us all, because everyone he created is everyone he has created (as weird as that sounds) and he loves his creation and he wants the best for us.
More than anything else Christ desires us to believe in him, love him, and let him live in us so that his kingdom may be advanced through us.

in the eyes if the law, If we break one rule, we're guilty of breaking all. if i'm comitting fornicantion, and you're not, than you're no better than me because we always stumble. we conciously do our best as Christians because we love Jesus but we will stumble.

James 10:8
8If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself,"[a] you are doing right. 9But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11For he who said, "Do not commit adultery,"[b] also said, "Do not murder."[c] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

hebrews 10:8
8First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made). 9Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Through the blood of Jesus we are God's righteousness through Christ. and that's grace.

ok, if we're talking about God expecting us to abstain from fornication, then the simple answer is 'because he said not to do it'. Because we are 'in Christ', we desire to do what he said.

I believe it's important not to push condemnation onto people who are 'in Christ' - romans 8

2007/5/5 10:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Dorcas wrote:

Quote:
Why are Christians expected to abstain from fornication?

Whether we understand the reasons for God's commands does not cancel our obligation to obey them. Too many moderns wrangle a lot about the meanings of God's word and never get off their seats and obey. Actually, this is where faith comes in. Read Heb. 11. The OT (or NT) saints did not ask God for a detailed explanation for his commands: they just did it. One does not have to understand.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2007/5/5 13:48Profile

Re: I want to die

ginnyrose said

Quote:
Whether we understand the reasons for God's commands does not cancel our obligation to obey them.

I agree.

But I do believe 'understand'ing is eminently possible.

Proverbs 2
1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, [i]and[/i] apply thine heart to [u]understanding[/u];
3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, [i]and[/i] liftest up thy voice for [u]understanding[/u];
4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as [i]for[/i] hid treasures;
5 Then shalt thou [u]understand[/u] the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth [i]cometh[/i] knowledge and [u]understanding[/u].
7 He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: [i]he is[/i] a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
8 He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.
9 Then shalt thou [u]understand[/u] righteousness, and judgment, and equity; [i]yea[/i], every good path.
10 When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
11 Discretion shall preserve thee, [u]understanding[/u] shall keep thee:

Deuteronomy 4:6
Keep therefore and do [i]them[/i]; for this [i]is[/i] your wisdom and your [u]understanding[/u] in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation [i]is[/i] a wise and [u]understanding[/u] people.

But if they did not obey the law, He said:

Deuteronomy 32:28
For they [Israel] [i]are[/i] a nation void of counsel, neither [i]is there any[/i] [u]understanding[/u] in them.

While I agree sometimes we have to 'do' the word whether we really 'get' it, or not, it seems clear that God [i]wants[/i] us to 'understand' it.

2007/5/5 15:31
roadsign

Re: How CAN we help others overcome sin?

Quote:
Why are Christians expected to abstain from fornication?

Here is a very good question! I fear that if we cannot answer it, then we cannot help those who either don’t care, or who are plagued with guilt over their besetting sins. In fact, we can’t help even ourselves overcome sins. “Just because…” is not a strong enough motivator for the conscience. Satan can easily tempt through such suggestions as: “Hath God really said…?” The power of reason can easily distort God’s word if someone is not rooted in truth and understanding.

Quote:
and apply thine heart to understanding;

I am learning from Ephesians that each believer must be deeply grounded in the fundamental truth of who he/she is in Christ. Otherwise tempting influences will overrule their weak consciences. I think that all of us who are trying to lose ten pounds understand this.

I see the answer to Dorcas’ question in Paul's letter to the Ephesians. He first presented a description of who they were in Christ. (Why not mediate on the first two chapters for several days! It is awesome! It’s the answer! Try different translations!) The rest of the epistle, that is, the practical outworking hinges on these truths.

Paul prayed that the believers would KNOW this reality. In Ch. 3 he prays that they would be deeply rooted in God’s love – ie KNOW God’s love. Never once does he pray concerning their behavior. I believe that is because right behavior flows from right knowledge – that is, knowing (deeply) one’s identity in Christ. That includes knowing who he is NOT (anymore) - among those who are “SEPARATED from God”.

When one is deeply aware of his identity in Christ and a member of the Body (One New Person) then his one and only desire is to preserve that unity, and not cause harm or threat to it by making selfish or foolish choices.

“Instead, speaking the truth (about Christ and our relationship with him) in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament (including the various leadership roles), grows and builds itself up in love, as EACH PART DOES ITS WORK.” Eph. 4:14,15

How might we help fellow believers KNOW more deeply who they are in Christ?

Diane

2007/5/5 16:08Profile
roadsign

Re:

Another question that has popped into my mind:

How might Dian encourage this young pastor and his girlfriend and help strengthen their faith - stirring them to become more and more Christ-centered?

(Is that not what all of us are called to do for each other?)

Diane

2007/5/5 18:35Profile
dohzman

Brother Lawrence

"The Practice of the Presence of God "

It's always good to learn the lessons of the farmer who knows how to plant for a future character in the body of Christ.

2007/5/5 22:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy