SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : This shocks me

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Re: This shocks me

Two questions:

First, regarding the Tozer quote, what is he defining as a "Religious Experience"? Is it merely being present in corporate worship on a regular basis or actually experiencing the supernatural on a tangible level?

Secondly, for those that have a pastoral role within their church, have you ever confronted someone who while professing Christ, didn't really have much to show of it?

2007/4/23 18:49Profile
BenBrockway

Re: This shocks me

Quote:

jimdied2sin wrote:
"It is my opinion that tens of thousands of people, if not millions, have been brought into some kind of religious experience by accepting Christ, and they have not been saved" ~A.W. Tozer

"Most people in America who call themselves Christians aren't saved" - Paul Washer

"I believe this with all my heart, that a great majority of people in our churches today who call themselves believers have never been saved" ~David Wilkerson

"I doubt that more than two percent of professing Christians in the United States are truly born again." ~Leonard Ravenhill

Sadly, this is why I am feeling led to do mission work inside the church. I grew up with the idea that I would "go into all the world," and while that is still needed, I feel it is actually unfortunate that I am feeling called to go into "all the church," as well.

2007/4/23 18:59Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

intrcssr83 wrote:
Two questions:

First, regarding the Tozer quote, what is he defining as a "Religious Experience"? Is it merely being present in corporate worship on a regular basis or actually experiencing the supernatural on a tangible level?

I think Tozer is talking about the "Religious Experience" just being a mere good feeling, rather then an actual changed life, and dying to self.

Quote:
Secondly, for those that have a pastoral role within their church, have you ever confronted someone who while professing Christ, didn't really have much to show of it?

I don't have a pastoral role, but I would say that most pastors today will encounter most of their congregation not really having much to show for their Christian walk.

2007/4/23 19:06Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
The down side is that in many fellowships the sunday am service is off limits. Most pastors aren't willing to risk thier am service and thier finiancial base to be put at risk to any kind of message that may upset thier people.

Is this sad...or satanic? Maybe both.

2007/4/23 19:09Profile
dohzman

Re:

Quote:
I feel it is actually unfortunate that I am feeling called to go into "all the church," as well.

Wisdom makes knowledge exceptable to its hearers, pray for wisdom because it'll take plenty of it inorder to make some of the principles of Christ to stick in such a way that the hearers are challenged to embrace them.

2007/4/23 20:51Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

by BenBrockway

Quote:
this is why I am feeling led to do mission work inside the church. I grew up with the idea that I would "go into all the world,"

My pastor just preached a sermon this past Sunday using this verse. He proposed it more as viewing the world as system or dimension rather than places on earth. The world is at emnity with God. If the world hated me.....then it will hate you. Go into the world....dimensions as in Ephesians 6 principalities and powers, rulers of darkness, spiritual wickedness in high places. It was a powerful message.

Dohzman
Quote:
The down side is that in many fellowships the sunday am service is off limits. Most pastors aren't willing to risk thier am service and thier finiancial base to be put at risk to any kind of message that may upset thier people.

I have watched my pastor grow so much in boldness and speaking the truth irregardless. He recently said that he didn't care if it dwindled down to ten, he would speak the truth and I know he means it. I praise God as I have visibly witnessed his fear of God increase and his fear of man decrease. It has been a sometimes subtle shift over several years. He spoke some hard but needed and truthful things this week, however, he did say one thing that I really disagreed with and from the response of the congregation, that was the high point of the sermon. While everyone was clapping and amen-ing, my heart nearly broke. Nonetheless, I praise God for what he is doing and lift my pastor in prayer before God. I pray that the truths spoken were etched in our hearts and the rest burnt away.

2007/4/23 21:44Profile
Spitfire

Re: false conversions

I think false conversions take place for two reasons:

1. A false gospel is being preached and the people are believing it.

2. God is being falsely represented. In other words, the god that people are coming to is not the God of the Bible.

One of my favorite quotes of all time: "We need to know God as He, in fact, is."-Art Katz

Just yesterday, I told the Lord, I want to know you. I don't care if you are hideous & frightening, I want to know you. Whoever you are, God, I want to know you. Whatever you are, God, I want to know you.

My greatest fear is that I will have a wrong concept of God that I have adopted from all the thick, multitudinous, bullcrap that this world presents of who God is. I feel that way because I was one of those so-called Christians in the church. I was someone who thought they were a Christian because I had walked down an aisle and said the "sinner's prayer".

You show me someone who fears God and I'll show you a true believer. Love, Dian.

2007/4/24 5:28Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I don't want to change the tone of the original post, but I would like to say this.

Spitfire, please mind your language.

Maybe it is another transatlantic misunderstanding, but I believe the word 'rubbish' or 'garbage' could be substituted to portray what you mean about God being presented in the wrong way.

That's it.

God bless.

2007/4/24 6:22Profile

Re:

Quote:
I don't want to change the tone of the original post

Too late now!

2007/4/24 6:48
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

dohzman wrote:
Quote:
I feel it is actually unfortunate that I am feeling called to go into "all the church," as well.

Wisdom makes knowledge exceptable to its hearers, pray for wisdom because it'll take plenty of it inorder to make some of the principles of Christ to stick in such a way that the hearers are challenged to embrace them.

Indeed

2007/4/24 11:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy