SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : This shocks me

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

This shocks me

"It is my opinion that tens of thousands of people, if not millions, have been brought into some kind of religious experience by accepting Christ, and they have not been saved" ~A.W. Tozer

"Most people in America who call themselves Christians aren't saved" - Paul Washer

"I believe this with all my heart, that a great majority of people in our churches today who call themselves believers have never been saved" ~David Wilkerson

"I doubt that more than two percent of professing Christians in the United States are truly born again." ~Leonard Ravenhill

2007/4/23 11:23
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: This shocks me

I'm not sure we should be shocked, after all, Jesus spoke clearly that this would be so. I think of His parables about the wheat and the tares and about the sower. Also, His words "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord...".

There is definitely a vast mission field right within the walls of churches.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/4/23 11:31Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Sadly, I believe they are speaking the truth. America is an easy place to profess belief in Jesus because it doesn't cost us anything to do so.

It reminds me of when Pagan Rome became "Christianized" under Constantine. Christianity began to be favored and great numbers of 'false believers' joined the church.

God has means to purify His church, let us therefore stand close to Him and Him alone.

2007/4/23 11:33Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
There is definitely a vast mission field right within the walls of churches.

I'm on that mission field...at a Christian University.

2007/4/23 11:43Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Urgency is needed, but so is patience and longsuffering.

2007/4/23 11:49Profile
theopenlife

In one sense it is shocking, and yet it is not altogether suprising to me.

Jesus said, "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them..." [Luke 6:46]

Many, many people who "join in the prayer" have no genuine comprehension of their heinous crime against God's holiness, their radical need of salvation, or the honest intention of obeying more than a moral code.

I believe that a man cannot be saved who does not acknowledge that he needs to be
[i]altogether saved[/i]; which is to say, he must know that literally nothing good dwells in him, that is, in his flesh prior to Christ. (Rom 7)

Yet, I myself "accepted Christ" while for years maintaining in my heart that I was not altogether wretched. As well, I thought repentance was feeling bad when I sinned, feeling bad for "making Jesus have to die"; I thought repentance was paying back good deeds, itself, rather than the heart that is changed. My understanding is that repentance occurs when a man cooperates with God, who Himself produces a heart that takes sides with God completely, totally, and finally against self and world.

2007/4/23 11:50Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Even though I have read and heard these statistics before, it is still painful to read them again.

When we stop being shocked, or become indifferent, complacent, or apathetic about the degeneracy of Christianity, then, God help us.

It is because of what we know that should cause us to act. To seek God to act.

Ps 119v126, 'It is time for You to act, O Lord, for they have regarded Your law as void'.

It's more than overdue for the Church to weep for it's own condition, let alone the condition of the world.

Ps 119v136, 'Rivers of water run down from my eyes, because men do not keep Your law'.

When God's law and honour is trampled underfoot by both the world and the Church, be sure judgment is just around the corner. It is either judgment or revival. Let's pray it is revival.

For God's glory.

God bless.

2007/4/23 11:51Profile
SDE

Arizona

Christ told people to enter in through the narrow gate and walk in the narrow way. In the days when Christ was on the earth, people walked everywhere. Paths were formed by the people who walked on them. Broad roads were broad due to the vast number of people who walked on them. Narrow roads were narrow because not very many people walked on them. I think perhaps this is the picture He had in His mind when He made the statement. He is basically saying that most people would reject Him.

This is indeed a very sobering thought.

2007/4/23 16:01Profile
dohzman

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

I believe that the quotes are true. It has only been in the last 10 years that I've seen the church in America as a mission field. I do believe that amoung those who attend church services though, they are what I would call seekers and I do believe God will be found of them because I believe He'll send a revival. The down side is that in many fellowships the sunday am service is off limits. Most pastors aren't willing to risk thier am service and thier finiancial base to be put at risk to any kind of message that may upset thier people. :-(

2007/4/23 17:19Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

We all need to regularly asses our position in Christ. Just by the percentages, it would seem that not a few who venture here, need to seriously examine their foundation.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Phi 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Luk 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Blessings Greg

2007/4/23 18:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy