SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Help make sense of 'perfectly' please?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Help make sense of 'perfectly' please?

The line in the last verse of the great hymn 'Love divine, all loves excelling' states:

'Let us see thy great salvation perfectly restored in thee;'

For the sake of simplicity, let's treat this as a sentence, because punctuation of verse is a bit [i]iffy[/i] at the best of times.

So, in [i]my[/i] view, this 'sentence' should be punctuated thus, (below), for it to make any sense at all.

[b]Let us see thy great salvation, perfectly, restored, in Thee.[/b]

The meaning I derive therefore is:

Let us see perfectly Thy great salvation, as we will find ourselves eventually to have been perfectly restored in Thee. [Christ]

Wesley has used the word 'perfectly' to describe [u]both[/u] our seeing and our restoration.

Okay. Anyone disagree?

2007/4/22 15:00

Re: Help make sense of 'perfectly' please?

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

The line in the last verse of the great hymn 'Love divine, all loves excelling' states:

'Let us see thy great salvation perfectly restored in thee;'

For the sake of simplicity, let's treat this as a sentence, because punctuation of verse is a bit [i]iffy[/i] at the best of times.

So, in [i]my[/i] view, this 'sentence' should be punctuated thus, (below), for it to make any sense at all.

[b]Let us see thy great salvation, perfectly, restored, in Thee.[/b]

The meaning I derive therefore is:

Let us see perfectly Thy great salvation, as we will find ourselves eventually to have been perfectly restored in Thee. [Christ]

Wesley has used the word 'perfectly' to describe [u]both[/u] our seeing and our restoration.

Okay. Anyone disagree?

Didn't Wesley (who wrote the hymn?) believe in "entire sanctification"? In that case I think the main meaning probably is that His salvation is perfectly restored in us, or perfect restoration. But your alternative could be true too...

In Biblical terms "perfect" often means complete or finished. As in 1Peter 5:10[i][color=000099] But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.[/color][/i]

Just looked up the word translated "perfect" in Strongs Concordance. Wow! Most significant parts bolded:

2675 καταρτίζω [katartizo /kat·ar·tid·zo/] v. From 2596 and a derivative of 739; TDNT 1:475; TDNTA 80; GK 2936; 13 occurrences; AV translates as “perfect” twice, “make perfect” twice, [b]“mend”[/b] twice, “be perfect” twice, [b]“fit”[/b] once, “frame” once, [b]“prepare”[/b] once, [b]“restore”[/b] once, and “perfectly joined together” once. 1 [b]to render, i.e. to fit, sound, complete. 1a to mend (what has been broken or rent), to repair. 1a1 to complete. 1b to fit out, equip, put in order, arrange, adjust. 1b1 to fit or frame for one’s self, prepare. 1c ethically: to strengthen, perfect, complete, make one what he ought to be.[/b]

Wonderful how a "technical" sort of question like this can often bring out blessed fresh aspects of truth :-D

Jeannette

2007/4/22 18:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy