SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Has Pope Benedict made any significant changes to the Catholic church?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Has Pope Benedict made any significant changes to the Catholic church?

There was an article online about the Catholic church ending their theory about limbo. Benedict came out with a book, which I did not read, but I read that he was critical of of Pope John.

Is the church moving in the right direction? or are they way off track?

"VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die without baptism went.

In a long-awaited document, the Church's International Theological Commission said limbo reflected an "unduly restrictive view of salvation."

The 41-page document was published on Friday by Origins, the documentary service of the U.S.-based Catholic News Service, which is part of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Pope Benedict, himself a top theologian who before his election in 2005 expressed doubts about limbo, authorized the publication of the document, called "The Hope of Salvation for Infants Who Die Without Being Baptised."

The verdict that limbo could now rest in peace had been expected for years. The document was seen as most likely the final word since limbo was never part of Church doctrine, even though it was taught to Catholics well into the 20th century.

"The conclusion of this study is that there are theological and liturgical reasons to hope that infants who die without baptism may be saved and brought into eternal happiness even if there is not an explicit teaching on this question found in revelation," it said.

"There are reasons to hope that God will save these infants precisely because it was not possible (to baptize them)."

The Church teaches that baptism removes original sin which stains all souls since the fall from grace in the Garden of Eden.

"NO NEGATION OF BAPTISM"

The document stressed that its conclusions should not be interpreted as questioning original sin or "used to negate the necessity of baptism or delay the conferral of the sacrament."

Limbo, which comes from the Latin word meaning "border" or "edge," was considered by medieval theologians to be a state or place reserved for the unbaptized dead, including good people who lived before the coming of Christ.

"People find it increasingly difficult to accept that God is just and merciful if he excludes infants, who have no personal sins, from eternal happiness, whether they are Christian or non-Christian," the document said.

It said the study was made all the more pressing because "the number of nonbaptised infants has grown considerably, and therefore the reflection on the possibility of salvation for these infants has become urgent."

The commission's conclusions had been widely expected.

In writings before his election as Pope in 2005, the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger made it clear he believed the concept of limbo should be abandoned because it was "only a theological hypothesis" and "never a defined truth of faith."

In the Divine Comedy, Dante placed virtuous pagans and great classical philosophers, including Plato and Socrates, in limbo. The Catholic Church's official catechism, issued in 1992 after decades of work, dropped the mention of limbo." http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070420/ts_nm/pope_limbo_dc

Also, is purgatory the same as limbo?

Just wondering

God Bless the truth,
Brian

2007/4/20 22:30

Re: Has Pope Benedict made any significant changes to the Catholic church?

Since the pope is not a saved man, we should not expect that he would make any changes that would move the Catholic Church any closer to scripture.

I can just see the PM's rolling into my account now: "how dare you judge another man's heart??"

Before that happens... this man is the leader of the world's largest false religion. Do you really think he is saved? His writings tell us what he is trusting in for his salvation. The Church, the sacraments and Mary. Not the Blood of Jesus.

You know what can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus! Hallelujah!

Krispy

2007/4/21 6:53

Re:

I agree somewhat, Krispy. My question is if they are moving in the right direction or if they are way off track (still)...?

This type of change may make present or future Catholics think twice about their faith or belief.

Hopefully, we are able to use this inconsistency in a positive light to show people the only true Way.

God Bless,
Brian

2007/4/21 8:59
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
You know what can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus! Hallelujah!

Amen. It is hard to get folk to change once they are indoctrinated. Works based salvation is a die hard heresy.

2007/4/21 9:51Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Hopefully, we are able to use this inconsistency in a positive light to show people the only true Way.

My late uncle John was a converted Catholic. He became one of the most on fire people. His brother later became a baptist minister and they were both raised strict Catholics in the Hispanic community. They just needed a real encounter with God. This holds true for all of the cults.

2007/4/21 9:53Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
They just needed a real encounter with God.

Would say this holds true to any and every truly converted soul, regardless of 'abomination\denomination' (Ravenhill)

2007/4/21 10:05Profile
vico

Re:

...This is all my righteousness,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

Preach i t Brother!

2007/4/21 14:35Profile
SeanHobson

Cleveland, OH

Re:

Quote:
In the Divine Comedy, Dante placed virtuous pagans and great classical philosophers, including Plato and Socrates, in limbo. The Catholic Church's official catechism, issued in 1992 after decades of work, dropped the mention of limbo."

I've been wanting to read this book for some time now--wait no thats the inferno.

Nevertheless I do hate when some church fathers or great authors are catholic. The writing and exhortions may be wonderful, but they always seem to sneak a mary or sacrament in there.

2007/4/21 21:01Profile

Re:

Make no mistake, Pope Benedict is hard core when it comes to Catholic doctrine. That was his job before he became pope.

Pope John Paul II was about building bridges, and world peace, and making the Catholic Church more palatable to Protestants. He was pretty successful too because when he died Dobson, Van Impe, Billy Graham, the whole TBN gang, etc all came running out to say what a man of God he was... even tho the Bible's they were all holding when the said that disagreed with them. He was a great man, no doubt. But unfortunately, his faith was not in Christ.

The new pope is not as much about building bridges as he is about tightening the vice about Church doctrine. If anything, he will move the "Church" more toward the Catechism than the Bible. He will want to reign in those Catholics who have become accepting of Protestants, while still trying to lure Protestants.

Thank God I'm not a Protestant! I'm a disciple of Jesus Christ. I refuse labels.

Krispy

2007/4/22 6:12

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy