SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Kent Hovind (Dr. Dino)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
lovegrace

Kent Hovind (Dr. Dino)

I was listening to him among many others stating their claims on Creation over Evolution.

But today, reading on Wikipedia:"Hovind is currently incarcerated at the Pensacola Federal Prison Camp at Saufley Field, Pensacola, Florida.[2]", for avoiding taxes and other numerous offenses against the law.

This is open for debate. But I think he has lost all credibility in my book and in the Answers in Genesis ministry speak against him as well. (See wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind

This man, to me, seems like a great teacher. His style, using laughter and analogies make it easy to believe what he claims.

[b]But I pose that he'd be stripped from SI's website. [/b] If not, that's absolutly fine, I agree with SI's leadership (under the guidance of the Holy Spirit).

The guy sounds like a great speaker but listening to his debates with other people and such, seems to me he doesn't truly know enough about science to really claim much about it.

On the other hand, I think Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis sound like they know real science and not just 'persusation of words'.

2007/4/19 17:16Profile
Jacob19

Re: Kent Hovind (Dr. Dino)

I have a lot of respect for Dr. Hovind and although I do not agree with his evading taxes, he said "I will pay my taxes when they take evolution out of schools". For a while he had found several loopholes that allowed him to not pay taxes legally, he became what is known as a Sovereign, which makes you kind of like your own country (its really complicated and I am sure there are plenty of people on here who know more about it than I do), but apparently they found a way to arrest him.

2007/4/19 17:44Profile
repentcanada

I am tired of hearing Christians rip Kent Hovind. Time will tell what the outcome is, let God judge his soul. I heard one brother say he doesn't even know if Hovind is saved.

Hovind and CSE make ALL their materials non-copyright, how many other ministries can say that? I know of numerous, numerous people who have been encouraged by him, and I know of several who are now believers in Christ.

Lovegrace, have you ever watched all 7 of Hovind's seminars?? I think it is ignorant to say he doesn't know much about science.
And why do you suggest to SI that he is stripped off this site? (and why publicly?)

Hovind and his lawyers know more about the situation than we do. We don't even know everything that is entailed, so why judge him?

Back in the day many have done things that the society deemed "illegal" - John Bunyan preaching without a church licence (and being imprisoned for it for YEARS), Luther, etc etc. Hovind may actually be onto something as far as churches and ministries not accepting the 501c3 tax status in America. If what Hovind did was sinful, he will have to give an account to God and he will have to deal with the US Government fully.

ps - dont believe everything you read on wikipedia or other news sources. have you prayed for Hovind and his family? have you read the accounts of how he has been used in prison??

this whole post is upsetting to me,
Ricky Earle

2007/4/19 18:17Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

I think you're being a bit harsh towards Mr Hovind, My daughter listened to 8 of his 3 hour DVD's and learned a lot more about science than she has in High school.

There may be some faults in his teaching but to completely throw out all his lessons because a few are not scientificly sound or logically correct is inapropriate. If we chucked out everyone who had slight errors in their teaching there would be hardly any speakers left. If we know where his faults are then we can avoid using the same arguments or 'science' ourselves, but as the rest of what he says is good, then we should 'eat the meat and spit out the bones'.

2007/4/19 18:24Profile
lovegrace

Allhavesinned and RepentCandana,

Sorry if I've misrepresented what I was trying to state.

The bible is clear about paying taxes. Jesus said so ([url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2022:21,%20Mark%2012:17,%20Luke%2020:25;&version=49;]link[/url]) and so did Paul in Romans ([url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2013:5-7;&version=31;]link[/url])

The reason why I posted that I think he should be taken off of SI is because of the integrity. (If those statements were true). I don't think anyone would want to endorce Benny Hinn. *(Yes, it's an "extreme" comparison but sin is severe, not matter what case)*

Calvary Chapel is NOT a 501c3 but they PAY TAXES they don't avoid them and 'find loopholes' like Dr. Hovind.

Yes, our government is funding evolution but their also funding a lofty salary to many state workers, fbi, etc etc. I can find 1,000,000 errors within our government but THAT DOESN'T mean we should avoid taxing. Heck, in America we only pay like half as much as some people in the European countries do.

I've been tremendously blessed by Dr.Kent Hovind (keep in mind his docorate is in Education) and he is a pheominal speaker.

I've only resently heard of him and I posted this to hear your side of this.

I do believe facts are facts, no matter what a person's "integrity" or "character" lays. But, within Christiandom, I believe that to state the gospel and be a hypocrite, in one form or another, is wrong.

I'm not judging this man's salvation, I do believe he is saved because of his passion on God and the subject of keeping GOD the focus and not man but I don't believe in promoting a 'controversial' preacher.

I'm very willing to hear any rebukes and rebuttels.

Honestly, I was shocked to read that about this man. To me, he seemed completely beyond reproach, but this tax thing brings him back into the category of 'reproachable' in my book.

P.S. For the record, Wikipedia isn't the best resource, but about his crimial actions, Wiki stated the sources and you can read the NEWSPAPER articles that were written about Dr. Hovind.

2007/4/19 19:56Profile
repentcanada

Re:

no comment, I can't believe what I am reading.

2007/4/19 20:55Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

This has been discussed before, check out some of the opinions here:

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=14358&forum=48&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0

There is an interesting article about how the government went about arresting him and his wife, even breaking the law in some ways, here:

http://www.penaltyprotester.com/files/LindseyHovindTrialReport.pdf

Please have a read, we're not trying to change your mind regarding what the bible says, but sometimes we have to be careful that we don't jump to conclusions after having only a small amount of information.

2007/4/19 23:55Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Oh, I didn't know it was spoken of before. Thanks.

Quote:

allhavsinned wrote:
Please have a read, we're not trying to change your mind regarding what the bible says, but sometimes we have to be careful that we don't jump to conclusions after having only a small amount of information.

Amen, brother I totally agree.

2007/4/20 14:04Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I had lunch with Brother Hovind after he visited a church. He is very down to earth and really kind of old fashioned. He in not perfect, but he stood up what he believed to be right. I have thought about visiting him and interviewing him in prison as well as encouraging him and letting him know we are praying for him.

Don't forget that Paul and John Baptist were locked up, too. Just because he was arrested and imprisoned does not mean he should be excommunicated. It wasn't like he avoided paying taxes in a corner, he spoke openly about all his tax decisions in public numerous times.

As far as what websites say about him, I wouldn't swallow their opinion of him. Most that don't like him, don't like him because he is such a straight shooter. Paul got on a lot of people's nerves, too. He said that all men forsook him, and spent years in house arrest. Paul also said that some preached against him, but he rejoiced that they preached Jesus all the same. We ought to rejoice in the work Hovind has done, regardless. He stood on the Word of God. He preached the gospel. He did what he felt was right. No doubt hundreds were saved and strenghthened in their faith under his ministry.

Even if you believe he was wrong on the tax issue...

Phil 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

2007/4/20 23:37Profile
jordanamo

Re:

If the following quotes from Wikipedia are indeed true as they appear to be: Hovind is a hypocrite.

"In 1996 Hovind unsuccessfully filed for bankruptcy to avoid paying federal income taxes. Hovind was found to have lied about his possessions and income. He claimed that as a minister of God everything he owns belonged to God and he is not subject to paying taxes to the United States on the money he received for doing God's work."

"More than a half-dozen guns were seized at the Hovind's home, including an SKS semiautomatic rifle.[48] Also "During an IRS raid at the home, agents found cash stashed 'all over the place.' About $42,000 was seized."[48]"

Odd.

"On October 21, 2006, the trial began in which he hoped to convince a jury that his amusement park admission and merchandise sales belonged to God and cannot be taxed."

Ha. These are all sourced, by the way.

According to this and if these statements are indeed true which they appear to be: he is a reproach to Christianity and his actions speak loud and clear. I have no idea as to how people can still be behind him and even compare him to PAUL the Apostle of all people! Sure, pray for him, but he is in clear error here and his denying what he's done is an offense.

Jordan

2007/4/21 4:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy