SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Dare we expirement on a mind which no longer belongs to us?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Tears_of_joy

Dare we expirement on a mind which no longer belongs to us?

"I am asked sometimes to read an heretical book: well, if I believed my reading it would help its refutation, and might be an assistance to others in keeping them out of error, I might do it as a hard matter of duty, but I shall not do it unless I see some good will come of it. I am not going to drag my spirit through a ditch for the sake of having it washed afterwards, for it is not my own. It may be that good medicine would restore me if I poisoned myself with putrid meat, but I am not going to try it: I dare not experiment on a mind which no longer belongs to me. There is a mother and a child, and the child has a book to play with, and a blacklead pencil. It is making drawings and marks upon the book, and the mother takes no notice. It lays down one book and snatches another from the table, and at once the mother rises from her seat, and hurriedly takes the book away, saying: “No, my dear, you must not mark that, for it is not ours.” So with my mind, intellect, and spirit; if it belonged to me I might or might not play tomfool with it, and go to hear Socinians, Ritualists, Universalists, and suchlike preach, but as it is not my own, I will preserve it from such fooleries, and the pure word shall not be mingled with the errors of men."

[i]-Taken from Flashes of Thought by C. H. Spurgeon, 1883 [/i]

2007/4/17 14:57Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re: Dare we expirement on a mind which no longer belongs to us?

I'm a reminded of the story about when people at banks are trained to recognize counterfeit money. They aren't given the fake and told to study it, they are given the real and told to study it until they know it by looks and by how it feels. Then they are able to recognize the counterfeit when it comes along.

If we know God's Word really well we won't have to study the fake to know what's real.

Jordan

2007/4/17 16:01Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

"I am not going to drag my spirit through a ditch for the sake of having it washed afterwards, for it is not my own."

2007/4/17 17:29Profile
Tears_of_joy

[b] On Book Reading[/b]

Specially beware of light reading. Shun novels; they are the literary curse of the age; they are to the soul what ardent spirits are to the body. If you be a parent, keep novels out of the way of your children. But whether you be a parent or not, neither read them yourself, nor set an example of novel-reading to others.

Don’t let novels lie on your table, or be seen in your hand, even in a railway carriage. The ‘light reading for the rail’ has done deep injury to many a young man and woman. The light literature of the day is working a world of harm; vitiating the taste of the young, enervating their minds, unfitting them for life’s plain work, eating out their love of the Bible, teaching them a false morality, and creating in the soul an unreal standard of truth, and beauty, and love. Don’t be too fond of the newspaper. Yet read it, that you may know both what man is doing and what God is doing; and extract out of all you read matter for thought and prayer. Avoid works which jest with what is right or wrong, lest you unconsciously adopt a false test of truth and duty, namely, ridicule, and so become afraid to do right for right’s sake alone; dreading the world’s sneer, and undervaluing a good conscience and the approving smile of God. Let your reading be always select; and whatever you read, begin with seeking God’s blessing on it. But see that your relish for the Bible be above every other enjoyment, and the moment you begin to feel greater relish for any other book, lay it down till you have sought deliverance from such a snare, and obtained from the Holy Spirit an intenser relish, a keener appetite for the Word of God (Jeremiah 15:16; Psalm 19:7-10).

[i]-Edited from Chapter 6 of Follow the Lamb by Horatius Bonar, 1861.[/i]

2007/5/16 20:16Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
-Edited from Chapter 6 of Follow the Lamb by Horatius Bonar, 1861.

Thanks for this little nugget from Bonar. This little book of his is full of excellent advice for new believer and old believer alike. You can listen to the audio book by downloading it right here on SI...

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=229]Follow the Lamb by Horatius Bonar[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2007/5/16 20:46Profile
Tears_of_joy

[b]GOOD LITERATURE:
RESPONSIBILITY OF CHRISTIAN HOME

By A. W. Tozer
[/b]

The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the Lord;
but the words of the pure are pleasant words.
-- Proverbs 15:26

It is my belief that we Christians are bound in all
conscience to discourage the reading of subversive
literature and to promote as fully as possible the
circulation of good books and magazines.

Just what part evil literature has played in the present
moral breakdown throughout the world will never be
known till men are called forth to answer to a holy God
for their unholy deeds, but it must be very great indeed!

For thousands of young people the first doubt about
God and the Bible came with the reading of some evil
book. We must respect the power of ideas, and printed
ideas are as powerful as spoken ones. They may have a
longer fuse but their explosive power is just as great.

Our Christian faith teaches us to expect to answer for
every idle word; how much more severely shall we be
held to account for every evil word, whether printed or
spoken.

[i]The desire to appear broad-minded is one not easy to
overcome,[/i] for it is rooted in our ego and is simply a
none-too-subtle form of pride. In the name of broad
mindedness many a Christian home has been opened to
literature that sprang not from a broad mind, but from a
mind little and dirty and polluted with evil!

We require our children to wipe their feet before
entering the house. [i]Dare we demand less of the
literature that comes into our home? [/i]

2007/7/23 18:50Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

these are all very good and another article by Richard Baxter

[url=http://www.puritansermons.com/baxter/baxter30.htm]Richard Baxters advice on reading[/url]

2007/7/23 19:06Profile
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Awesome statement...thanks for that reference. A

Again Spurgeon serves to prove that the Holy Spirit's guidance and encouragement are ageless...He and Jonathan Edwards are a constant JOY to read.

It really drives home a point of contention I deal with weekly...

As the librarian at our church I am the recipent of many requesats for materials and many 'donations' of books that people no longer read.

As an elder at the church, nothing goes into our library w/o my perusal to ensure that we are not receiving false and misleading literature.

You would not believe some of the materials that we get...well, disregard that; you probably can...

If I know the contributor, I will speak to them privately of the materials they have donated and ensure that they were not captured by the lies that they may have received. Many times I hear "Oh, that I bought it and read it once [or then never read it]... it did not feed me but I thought it might help someone else." I liken this to people donating discards to the church for a food or clothing drive instead or bringing their best to feed and clothe the needy.
I feed my sheep with only the best our Lord delivers to us.

Many other times the donations are recieved w/o notice and I have to stop and say a prayer that their donation was out of an unspoken feeling of 'spoiled' goods' and their desire to get rid of it came from the basest instinct of self-preservation. I praise God and thank the Holy Spirit for the discernent they gifted these dear ones with and thank Him for allowing me to remove it from the realm of availability.

Occasionally, I'll get a request for someones donated 'treasured [now trashed] tome' and I'll gently and lovingly explain that we do not have it and why. That's led to many excellent discussions from 'unsigned' contributors and their unsuspecting refer-ees...

Have I bought books for our library that I've had to throw away ...Yes, on many occasions... I would not return them and defile anothers eyes nor muddy their hearts.

Yes, I actually said it twice...I throw away books ... but I know the True Word and live daily to know and do only the Will of God, so I know counterfeit when it surfaces. I will not feed my 'body' that which will harm it.

2007/7/24 9:42Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

excellent

What wonderful advice to avid readers like myself...

Thanks for the posts. :-)

2007/7/24 16:04Profile

Re:

Quote:

Tears_of_joy wrote:
[b] On Book Reading[/b]

Specially beware of light reading. Shun novels; they are the literary curse of the age; they are to the soul what ardent spirits are to the body. If you be a parent, keep novels out of the way of your children. But whether you be a parent or not, neither read them yourself, nor set an example of novel-reading to others.

Don’t let novels lie on your table, or be seen in your hand, even in a railway carriage. The ‘light reading for the rail’ has done deep injury to many a young man and woman. The light literature of the day is working a world of harm; vitiating the taste of the young, enervating their minds, unfitting them for life’s plain work, eating out their love of the Bible, teaching them a false morality, and creating in the soul an unreal standard of truth, and beauty, and love. Don’t be too fond of the newspaper. Yet read it, that you may know both what man is doing and what God is doing; and extract out of all you read matter for thought and prayer. Avoid works which jest with what is right or wrong, lest you unconsciously adopt a false test of truth and duty, namely, ridicule, and so become afraid to do right for right’s sake alone; dreading the world’s sneer, and undervaluing a good conscience and the approving smile of God. Let your reading be always select; and whatever you read, begin with seeking God’s blessing on it. But see that your relish for the Bible be above every other enjoyment, and the moment you begin to feel greater relish for any other book, lay it down till you have sought deliverance from such a snare, and obtained from the Holy Spirit an intenser relish, a keener appetite for the Word of God (Jeremiah 15:16; Psalm 19:7-10).

[i]-Edited from Chapter 6 of Follow the Lamb by Horatius Bonar, 1861.[/i]

OUCH!!!!

I read this after the thread on Harry Potter. While not reading those kinds of books any more I do sometimes read novels, especially Christian novels.

And yet, "this is a hard saying..." It can't be achieved by merely trying to "give up", (which often becomes legalistic bondage) but by letting the Lord take away any intense desire for anything except Himself.

Novels and everything else will then come into their proper order...

Jeannette

2007/7/24 17:42

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy