SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did Jesus Go to Hell?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Quote:
If you believe that Hell is eternal torture with fire then I would have to disagree and that is another matter all together. I believe Hell to be simply eternal separation from God. Which would be a totally different post.

Hell is not simply a place of eternal separation. Death is separation from God. Hell is a place of torture. This becomes evident when Jesus encountered demons.

Matthew 8:29(NIV)
"What do you want with us, Son of God?" they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?"

In Christ,
Blake

2007/4/19 10:58Profile
DesiJr

Re: What is Hell

I think we've just started a new post...

What is Hell?

2007/4/19 13:20Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Has this verse been mentioned yet?

Acts 2:30-32 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain
[A Public Domain Bible] [KJV at Zondervan] [Zondervan]
30Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
32This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

2007/4/19 14:01Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Quote:
What is Hell?

Are you sure you want to ask that question? LoL. The only way to know the answer for sure is to go there.

I'll give you a quick summation of what Hell is. Obviously, there are many different theories and viewpoints floating around about it. Personally, I cannot tell you about it in detail as I have never been there. I won't be going either. But to give you a quick definition:

Hell was originally created as a place of eternal torture for eternal beings, demons. These were angels, spirits of God, who fell from glory. God set aside a particular day or time when He would judge all the demons for their evil. We know this as the "Day of Judgment."

God's will is that no human being ever goto or enter Hell. This is important. This desire God has will never change. However, we all know that humanity will also be judged on the day of judgment. Why is that? What happened?

God's Will is that all human beings repent, become born again, and receive eternal life. God's Will is that humans repent, meaning that they willing choose to turn away from sin and turn to Jesus. This desire of God is that humans will choose to make Him their Lord and God; that they will willingly worship and love Him. As such, God will not force this upon any human. God will not force anyone to choose the "tree of life" who is Jesus Christ. It His Will that we choose, though He desires everyone to make this choice.

Of course, we are a slave to sin. However, because of the cross, we all may freely choose Christ as Savior. We may call out to Christ for salvation. So, though we are slaves to sin, through Christ we have the freedom to be redeemed. This is our freedom. We have the freedom to choose Christ. We do not, however, have the freedom to stop sinning. We never did. This is why we need Christ.

God's Will never changes. Forever, God will always desire the same thing. God desires our worship and love. He seeks it. He wants it. He wants to rule over us as a Father. However, God cannot force us to give Him our love.

As such, there will come a day when Jesus will judge all people. He will separate them according to those who did God's will and those who did not. It is really this simple: Did you believe in Jesus or not? That is what we all will be judge on.

Anyone who believed in Jesus and was born again is sinless. Anyone who has not, dies in their sin. Because of this, they will face judgment.

Indeed, they will be judged for all their sin. But the greatest sin they have committed is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. This means that they claimed to be God or equal with God. By not believing in Jesus, people have basically said to God, "I don't need to be saved. There is nothing wrong me. I have no sin." Basically, they are telling God He is wrong and they are judging Him.

Because of this sin, the unforgivable sin, they will be sent to Hell. They have committed an eternal crime. They have tried to claim the throne of God for themselves. Instead of believing in Jesus and crowning Him as Lord and Savior, they have challenged God's authority.

If you remember, God's Will is that they repent and come to Christ. However, they have defied God's Will. Because of this, they are sent to Hell.

Hell is eternal because God will never change. Forever, God's wants them to be saved. However, they will eternal reject salvation. Because they eternally sin against God, they are eternally condemned.

Now...many people in our modern era say, "I don't believe Hell is a place of eternal torture because God is love. How could a loving God do that?"

Actually, that statement is nonsense. Because God is loving, Hell is torturous. Hell is a place where justice served. The demons and wicked are sent to Hell for justice. God requires justice, not for His sake as God needs nothing, but for our sake. God brings justice to His people. Hell is the place where justice is served for the sins committed against God and His people.

Some say, "Well then, why doesn't God just annihilate them? (meaning, why doesn't God just make them nonexistent)"

Because God is honoring humanity for our choice. We have been given the freedom to believe in whatever God we choose. We may choose which God to love. We may love ourselves, the Devil, or Jesus Christ. The choice is ours. God honors this choice through Hell.

Think of it this way, a murderer is standing before a judge in a courtroom. The murderer says, "You don't have to send me to prison. I mean, you could just let me go." The judge says, "But what about the victims whom you robbed. You stole their loved one. You owe a debt to them. You must pay or else I have to bring them justice."

On a last note, God doesn't send anyone to Hell. The person makes the choice. God is only the judge. The person, however, is accountable for their own choices.

It must be clear, however, that the choice a person makes is not a choice of physical action. It is a choice of spirit. Will you believe in Jesus or not? Will you crown Him Lord? Will you share in His death and resurrection?

This is the choice we make. We have the freedom to believe in whatever we want. However, we do not have the freedom to act however we want. This means our sin is a result of our lack of faith, not our actions.

I hope this helps,
In love,

Blake

2007/4/19 14:21Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Quote:
that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

The word for "hell" here is the Greek word "Hades." This word does not always translate exactly into Hell. If you notice in other translations, it translates into the word "grave." Jesus Christ said himself that He would spend three days in the heart of the earth. (Matthew 12:40)

The word "Hades" is often translated to Hell when it really should not be. For example, take this scripture: "Re 20:14 (KJ) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire." How can Hell be thrown into Hell?

But then in Luke 16:23 (KJ) , it is quite clear Jesus is speaking of Hell. "And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom."

Obviously, the word "Hades" is not always translated "Hell." This depends upon the context. Sometimes, it is simply speaking of the place of the dead.

In verse 31, Luke is alluding to a passage of scripture from Psalms 16:10 that says (KJ) "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption."

The Hebrew word used here for "hell" is "sheol." Translating the word here as "hell" is misleading. The word "sheol" is far from the concept of Hell. The Hebrews didn't believe in a place of fiery torment as described and taught by Jesus. The idea of hell being a place of fiery torment was introduced by Jesus.

In this passage, it is important to note the second portion that says, "neither his flesh did see corruption." Thus, Luke was speaking of the flesh of Jesus. Is Hell a physical place or a spiritual place? The place of fiery torment as described by Jesus was a spiritual place as it is the place where demons go. Therefore, when Luke used the word "Hades" in the verse, He wasn't speaking of the place of fiery torment. He was saying that the body, the flesh of Jesus, was not left in the grave. Jesus was raised.

I think the confusion lies in a misunderstanding of Hell. No person has gone to Hell yet. Hell is the lake of fire where people are sent after the day of judgment. This day has not yet come. No person is yet in Hell.

However, until that day, the Jews believed in Sheol. This was a temporary holding place where people stayed until the day of judgment. Sheol was divided into two planes. There was the garden (Paradise) where the righteous go, and then there is another place where the unrighteous go. Not sure the name of the other place.

This seems to make sense when we consider the bible as a whole. Jesus said He was going to Paradise and was also taking the sinner next to Him. However, Jesus had not yet been raised to glory yet. As such, since Christ had not been raised, no one could enter Heaven. Therefore, Paradise was a temporary place until Christ was raised. Once raised, Christ was born again. None of His disciples recognized Him because He was raised to glory. He had the same body, but it was raised to glory. Then, after His resurrection, He ascended to Heaven. In Heaven, He is preparing a place for us. If people were already there, then how could He prepare a place for them? They obviously weren't there yet. They were waiting in the garden until the last day.

Likewise, our hope of resurrection lies with Christ. One day, we will be raised to new glory just as Jesus was raised. However, until that day, we are all asleep in Christ when we die in the flesh. We will goto the place of Paradise (the garden), until the day of judgment. On the day of judgment, we will be passed over (hence passover). We will not be judged. Instead, we will be raised to new life. We will reign forever with Christ in Heaven.

However, others will be raised, judged, and sent to Hell. They will experience the "second death." Hell is the "second death." At least, the place of fiery torment we otherwise label as Hell is the "second death." Some people use the word "hell" interchangeably with death (eternal separation from God).

In Christ,
Blake

2007/4/19 14:56Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Hell is a temporary holding place. The lake of fire is forevermore. Hell is like jail, where the lake of fire is prison for life.

2007/4/20 23:45Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Bible descriptions of hell:

Duet 32:22 burn unto the lowest hell

Matt 5:22 danger of hell fire

Matt 5:29 thy whole body should be cast into hell

Matt 5:30 thy whole body should be cast into hell

Matt 10:28 both soul and body in hell (physical place)

Matt 18:9 hell fire

Mark 9:43 the fire that never shall be quenched

Mark 9:45 the fire that never shall be quenched

Mark 9:47 hell fire

Luke 16:23 torments

Luke 16:24 I am tormented in this flame

Luke 16:28 place of torment

James 3:6 fire of hell

2007/4/21 0:05Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Some say that Jesus did not go to hell because the Greek word does not mean hell, it means grave, so Jesus went to the grave.

Luke wrote the book of Acts, where the phrase: "thou wilt not leave my soul in hell" comes from. Luke used the Greek word "Hades".

In his first book, he penned the same word "Hades" when writing of Jesus' judgment upon Capernaum, as well as the place of torment for the ruler that saw Lazarus.

Luke 10:15 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Jesus went to hell to do the Father's will, not to suffer. He said "it is finished" on the cross, so His suffering ended on earth. But He still descended to lead captives to heaven and probably get the keys to hell and death.

2007/4/21 0:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy