SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did Jesus Go to Hell?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
DesiJr

Did Jesus Go to Hell?

Just wondering your thoughts on this...

2007/4/17 0:50Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Did Jesus Go to Hell?

What makes you ask the question?

2007/4/17 5:42Profile
bobmcd510

Re: Did Jesus Go to Hell?

Well considering that almost everything Jesus said on the cross contradicts that:

"Today you will be with me in paradise"

"Father into thy hands I commit my spirit"

"It is finished"

You have to say 'no'. The work of salvation was finished on the cross.. he did not have to suffer in Hell, but He did suffer the torments of Hell on the cross ("Father, why have you forsaken me") .. so in that sense He did suffer it while on the cross, since the essence of Hell is separation from God... although Hell is actually also a real place.

2007/4/17 11:58Profile
Provost

Re:

I agree with Bob. I just wanted to say that I don't think Hell is the absence of God. God is omnipresent. I think in hell you are forever present with God who is pouring out His just wrath. God Bless and peace

2007/4/17 12:18Profile

Re:

Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Jesus went to hell, not to suffer... but as the victor over death and hell. Keys are a symbol of authority. If you own a business you have the keys of that business. Satan no longer has the keys of hell and death because Jesus took them from Him [b]after[/b] He won the victory on the cross.

Grotesque false teachers such as Copeland, Hagin, Joyce Meyer, Benny Hinn etc would have us believe He went there and suffered hell in our place. This is patently false. Jesus never once submitted Himself unto Satan... He submitted Himself unto God.

Praise God, Jesus won the victory!!

Krispy

2007/4/17 12:34
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Krispy is right, Jesus did not suffer or need to suffer in hell. Jesus went and preached to the spirits in prison (hell) after His death.

1 Peter 3:18-21
18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

2007/4/17 13:10Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

I'd have to disagree. How can Jesus have preached to people in Hell if He was in paradise? He specifically told the thief he would be there. We should interpret hard to understand scripture with easy to understand scripture...

If you look at the context of the passage it is talking about the Holy Spirit... (v 18) 'BY WHICH ALSO ....'
'By which' implies that he preached to them BY His Holy Spirit.

And really it isn't talking about the people now in Hell, but what this verse means is that Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to the people in the time of Noah.. God was longsuffering and gave them a chance but they disobeyed despite the calling of the Spirit and so they were destroyed by the flood except for the eight who were saved by water

water is a type of the Holy Spirit, and our lesson here is not to reject Him

2007/4/17 13:50Profile

Re:

I agree with what you're saying about the scripture Jay posted.

The way I understand things, Jesus did not go into hell to spend any amount of time there other than to claim His victory over death, hell and the grave. I dont know the chronology of when He did all this, just that it was done.

It is completely conceivable for Jesus to have done this AND be in paradise that day. I dont see that as a contradiction. He did not spend 3 days in hell. His body spent three days in the grave... but His spirit was busy doing other glorious things.

Krispy

2007/4/17 14:17
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

In fact he went and preached in hades.

Quote:
The way I understand things, Jesus did not go into hell to spend any amount of time there other than to claim His victory over death, hell and the grave. I dont know the chronology of when He did all this, just that it was done.

May be it was just after the resurrection that Jesus went and preached the good knews to the spirits in preson. There is no contradiction after he died on the cross his spirit returned to the Father so only his body was lifeless for 3 days on the grave and then he came back to conquer death and after the body resurrection he made a triumphant entre in hell (hades) as Lord before ascended in heaven (bodily)to sit at the right hand of the Father.

2007/4/17 14:42Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

I could be wrong on this, but I always understood scripture to say that once Jesus died He went in spirit to Sheol to bring the Old Testament saints souls to heaven with Him. Once we in the new covenant die our souls immediately are in the presence of the Lord.

Regardless, please don't think that I believe that Jesus went to hell to suffer for us. Jesus paid our sin debt on the cross and His resurrection was to give us life.

2007/4/17 14:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy