SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Andrew Strom - Thunder in Nasvhille

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Andrew Strom - Thunder in Nasvhille

I wrote the following e-mail to Andrew Strom, and would like to post it on here as well, to share what God accomplished last night.

----

Dear Brother Andrew,

I recently heard your sermon, "Thunder in Nashville" and was greatly moved by it. I too, like you, have grown sick of the games many churches are playing. We end up investing so much time in all sorts of circus shows in the church. All thanks to the Church Growth movement, which has made many pastors resign being a shepherd, and instead have made them into CEO's.

I am currently 21 years old, and believe I am called into one day being a pastor. However, I never want to become what I see in my own church, and many other churches that I have visited. We need to get back to emphasis on the Word of God, and having our flesh desire Him above all things. Sadly though, many churches would rather have an "outreach" that cancels Superbowl Sunday night services, so that folks might come together and have a Superbowl party at church. I know many pastors who did that, or moved their services back a couple hours on Sunday night. Even though I don't believe there is anything wrong in trying to accomodate people to some degree... but that reveals to me how carnally minded we are, and shows as Keith Green once said in a song of his, "preferring the light of our tv to the light of God's Word."

Your sermon really stirred me. I've gone out on one occassion prior to hearing it to do some street preaching at a local outdoor mall. As an old Church of God evangelist said, "If I cannot attract people with the word of God, what can I attract them with?" (J.W. Buckaloo????) Your message greatly stirred me, and after praying for about 45 minutes or so, I went out and preached once again at the same outdoor mall.

If we are truly preaching the gospel, then that should be attractive enough. We don't need all the gimics in order to drag folks into our churches. I am in full agreement with you, that if another revival comes, it will be a street revival. I am fully believing God for a revival in my own town, and I believe very greatly that He wants to pour out His Spirit upon this town. I'd like to share all that occured last night, so that it might be some encouragement to you.

Last night I went up to a pretty populated area known as "Birkdale Village," which is pretty much an outdoor mall with some condo's (you can view it at http://www.birkdalevillage.net/ ) I went to a rather busy area in front of the movie theatre, and stood up on a wishing well ledge, and started preaching. In this area there are usually a lot of bored teens who are smoking and carrying on. I went something along the lines of what the apostle Paul once did, noting how our town is very religious, and that there are a great many churches in our town. Then I went from there and noted despite how religious we are, we have many idols. And I named the two prominent America idols, prosperity- the american dream (which God told me is nothing more than a dellusion and fantasy), and the idol of entertainment.

At that point a police officer across the street heard me, and came over to me and wanted to talk to me. He informed me that I was being too loud, and reminded me that I was on public property, thus, my "freedom of speech" is restricted to the atmosphere rules of that place. He told me I could continue preaching if I wanted to, but that he would have to give me a ticket for a noise violation if he could hear my voice over the traffic or if he could hear me from over 50 feet away.

Then some woman who had been listening to me preach came up and interupted the officer and said she could not believe he was stopping me from speaking. She then thanked me for having the courage to get up there and preach.

At this point, a lot of people were watching on, as they thought it was rather entertaining that the police officer was talking to me. I thanked the officer, and told him I would do my best to comply with the laws of that area, and I lowered my voice. At this point though, I had many people who were desiring to hear what I had to say, especially amongst the older teens. At this point, many of them had taken a few chairs and formed a semi-circle around me as they desired to hear the Word of the Lord. There were probably about 15-20 teens around me intently listening to what I had to say. So, for a while after this I spent time preaching, and answering questions that they had. The Spirit of God was really upon me, and I could tell that I made quite the impact on a few of them. I was shocked to learn how many of these kids that went to church, some, all their lives, could not even give me the basics of the gospel. Some had a semi-accurate knowledge of the things of God, but many did not. This crowd was rather diverse, some being atheists, wiccans, presbyterian, and catholic.

When it was all said and done, many shook my hand and thanked me for sharing the gospel with them afterwards. I was quite shocked at this response, and wondered if that is a good thing, as I have often heard many preachers say if you are truly preaching the gospel, folks will not like you at all. Some folks were Christians, and encouraged me in what I was doing. I could tell though that some of the people I preached to were truly troubled by what I said, and I am believing God to harvest those seeds. I think it can be a good thing if people respond in such a manner. Part of me wanted to do an "altar call" right there on the street. But, I have personally never been a big fan of altar calls. They surely have their place, such as the one Joshua made with the people of Israel.... "choose this day whom you will serve..." However, I'd rather people become miserable over their sins, and get James 4:9 into them, and then have a geniune response to the offered salvation of God.

Well, I think I'll stop there. Forgive me if I rambled a bit, but I just wanted to share with you what the Lord is doing in Huntersville, North Carolina (which is about 15 miles north of Charlotte, North Carolina). I believe God wants to send a revival in this area based on a dream He gave me some time ago. In my dream, I was standing in my backyard facing towards the south. The sky was clear except for a small cloud above. I then said, "Let it rain" and very quickly out of the west, rain clouds began to quickly form. It rained very lightly and almost as soon as it began to rain, the sky became clear again. Then as I stood in my yard again, I said, "Let it rain." For a moment, nothing happened, but after a short delay, very dark clouds began forming in the west. This rain was heavier and longer than the prior rain. However, as you noted in your sermon, revival does not have to happen. Joel's prophecy made that very clear, that the outpouring of God's spirit would not come without repentance and seeking God. It will not come without us paying the price.

I hope this has encouraged you, and that this further stirs you up.

2004/3/27 9:02Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Andrew Strom - Thunder in Nasvhille

Bless you brother!

Thanks for sharing with us.
Let me just say that you encouraged me!

I have to say I was a bit blown away, being somewhat familiar with you here over these past months...and do forgive me, but, you are 21?
It may be entirely natural that 'assumptions' are made on a subconcious level and as I had just alluded to Greg a few moments ago, you young guy's are just full of surprises!

Just goes to prove I really don't know anything! :-D

Had you certainly much older, but it again shows that natural age has so little to do with growth in the Lord.

Quote:
When it was all said and done, many shook my hand and thanked me for sharing the gospel with them afterwards. I was quite shocked at this response, and wondered if that is a good thing, as I have often heard many preachers say if you are truly preaching the gospel, folks will not like you at all.

I will take a guess here and say, not necessarily.
Too many examples in scripture to refute that as a blanket statement. Pretty sure that if you keep doing this the naysayers won't be far behind...

Applaud your couarge and willingness to take it to the streets. Support you to the hilt. Know that you will be in my prayers. Keep us posted of any further endevours and do let us know ahead of time so we can pray for you.

Way to go!

Mike

2004/3/27 10:55Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Thanks for sharing with us.
Let me just say that you encouraged me!

I'm glad I could. I was talking with Greg last night via instant message and he wanted me to post something on the forums about it all :) So instead of simply retyping it all, I decided to just copy/paste the e-mail I wrote Andrew Strom.

Quote:

I have to say I was a bit blown away, being somewhat familiar with you here over these past months...and do forgive me, but, you are 21?

Yes, I am 21.

Quote:

Had you certainly much older, but it again shows that natural age has so little to do with growth in the Lord.

Indeed.

Quote:

I will take a guess here and say, not necessarily.
Too many examples in scripture to refute that as a blanket statement. Pretty sure that if you keep doing this the naysayers won't be far behind...

True at that... but it is heavily taught that a negative harsh response, or folks who are just absolutely miserable over what you said is the best responses. Now that I think about it, I like what a professor of mine at school said, "the gospel should either make people happy, sad, or mad, never neautral." I suppose though, a combo of all should probably be seen.

Quote:

Applaud your couarge and willingness to take it to the streets. Support you to the hilt. Know that you will be in my prayers. Keep us posted of any further endevours and do let us know ahead of time so we can pray for you.

Thank you. I will need much prayer. I know God was with me last night, but there were some times where I really had no idea what I was going to say next, and stumbled around a bit. I am prayerfully planning on going back to the same place more often (I preached there once before), but I would also like to go to the local university and do some preaching there (The University of North Carolina Charlotte). Granted, it's about 15 miles from my house, but, I think it is a pretty good area where there are bound to be a good deal of people. God only knows what I'll encounter there.

2004/3/27 11:14Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Andrew Strom - Thunder in Nasvhille

Brother that strait stirrs me up! Glory to the Lamb who was slain! I am thankful to God for what He is doing through you. Be encouraged and pray for love and boldness. A kind of bold compassion that moves you to preachin spite of opposition.

You are finding what we here in KC are finding and its that this generation of youth has a desire to hear the Gospel! We were holding an 8 foot sign at an intersection and bridge called the "George Brett Bridge" within eye shot of Arrowhead stadium that said REPENT. The group ministering's ages were (34, 28, 26, 26, 20, 17, 17, 17).

The younger the person was who heard the message the more receptive they were to the message. It was odd that even the most gangster looking individuals would humble themselves and take a bible or listen. The older generation seemed to be so hardened that they looked on us with great disdain and disgust. Several of us also work with elderly so don't take that as a slam on the older generation. The police where we were- actually went by waving as if to encourage us! Perhaps they have been in one too many shootouts here in KC to want to shut some guys down trying to preach. We had that happen in 1994 in the inner city when we preached Friday and Saturday night in to the late hours of the night. The police were happy because it shut down the violence in the area. I believe brother, that the time will soon come when they will bless your ministry because of the backlash of sin and violence f they do not repent. They will say "they will wish they said blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" in my opinion.

One guy went to act like he was going to backhand my brother (and he is about 6' 2" 220) and he just backed up and kept preaching. The little kids in the back seats of the cars were just looking at us so helplessly as if their parents had them on the road to hell and they were along for the ride! One guy roasted his tires off in the streets turned the car sideways and I met him in the middle of the street with a bible. He actually rolled down the window and took it! Praise the Lord!

We'll be ministering with Andrew Strom at a park near my house on Easter if the Lord wills. please pray for us.

Your dream is an interesting one.

God Bless and much Brotherly Love,

-Robert

2004/3/27 11:31Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
True at that... but it is heavily taught that a negative harsh response, or folks who are just absolutely miserable over what you said is the best responses. Now that I think about it, I like what a professor of mine at school said, "the gospel should either make people happy, sad, or mad, never neautral." I suppose though, a combo of all should probably be seen.

Ahh, the one thing that may not always be apparent is how things 'stick' with the hearers, it may be days, weeks or months later...

Reminds me of when I was stepped in sin and the few times I would come across Christians....the conviction! Would do anything to squirm out of it, change the subject...
Funny now, looking back on it, I can almost recall every incident with clarity, something I find hard to do with what I just read yesterday...(It's an [i]age[/i] thing!)

Agree with your Prof.

[i]Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Heb 4:13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. [/i]

2004/3/27 11:33Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This may be a good place to interject this:

Let me do a little horn tootin' and recommened these two messages from our brother Robert who has become part of the family here and is preaching a straightforward message:

Robert Wurtz II

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3957]Getting Back to Basics: Fishers of Men[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3956]Getting Back to Basics: Survival of the Revival[/url]

2004/3/27 11:47Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

You are finding what we here in KC are finding and its that this generation of youth has a desire to hear the Gospel!

It seems that way, doesn't it? When I preached open air one time before, it was to a group of teens, and they were very receptive to what I had to say.

Quote:

The younger the person was who heard the message the more receptive they were to the message.

In a class I had at school, Spiritual Formation and Discipleship, they said most conversions that take place (statistically) happen in the younger ages. I bet Barna has a few stats that say the same.

Quote:

The police where we were- actually went by waving as if to encourage us! Perhaps they have been in one too many shootouts here in KC to want to shut some guys down trying to preach.

I personally don't think the police will be much of a problem. They'll probably just tell me to mind the noise restrictions. I'd bet many of them would be glad, especially in the rougher areas, to hear somebody is trying to get into these kids hearts and give them something to live for other than the vain things they do.

Quote:

I believe brother, that the time will soon come when they will bless your ministry because of the backlash of sin and violence f they do not repent. They will say "they will wish they said blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" in my opinion.

Amen. However, where I went to minister kids aren't too bad of a problem. At most they make shop owners mad, because the kids are dropped off at this outdoor shopping center/village, and their parents go shop, and they have nothing to do. So, many of them just go loiter in the stores. THere hasn't been a great deal of crime, as the area is rather preppy/yuppie. Though many adults are like that, I've seen in this area that many kids would fall into being Kurt Cobaine wannabe's. They are bored, and because they are bored, they get into drugs, sex, carousing, etc.

Quote:

One guy went to act like he was going to backhand my brother (and he is about 6' 2" 220) and he just backed up and kept preaching

I'm not too worried about being physically harmed. Ray Comfort, a rather popular street evangelist who has been preaching 20 yrs if memory serves correctly, says he has not really been assaulted. On 2 tapes of his, I've seen folks spit at him, or one guy try to put a strangle hold on him, but other than that... that's it.

Quote:

We'll be ministering with Andrew Strom at a park near my house on Easter if the Lord wills. please pray for us.

Cool. I will do so.

2004/3/27 11:53Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Ahh, the one thing that may not always be apparent is how things 'stick' with the hearers, it may be days, weeks or months later...

Reminds me of when I was stepped in sin and the few times I would come across Christians....the conviction! Funny now, looking back on it, I can almost recall every incident with clarity, something I find hard to do with what I just read yesterday...

Indeed. I can recall all the times I was exposed to even a little bit of the Scriptures or gospel before I was a Christian. I'll never forget the first time I read the 10 commandments in a children's bible. Yowsers. A girl at school, who got saved through a Teen Challenge street evangelist says she remembers the first time she heard the gospel, and that somebody came up to her and her gang and preached just for a few minutes. She said she knew right then she had heard God's voice. Though of course, the evangelist never got to know of the followup, but, it made a great impact on her.

2004/3/27 11:57Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

You're right brother, Barna says that by the time a child is 9 years old they have a pretty good grip on where they are headed spiritually. By the time they are 13 statistically, what they believe at that age, will be what they die believing.

Personally I am a youth pastor, but wish even not I could go and teach the children the fear of the Lord balanced with the love of Jesus. We have a lot of love being taught, but not a lot of fear of God. It is the beginning of wisdom.

I had 2 Sunday School teachers that impacted my life in a profound way. One taught me the fear of God (oh did she!) and the other showed me the love of Jesus. The one was an old timey preacher woman who was absolutely no-nonsense and the other bought me a bible that I kept into my teens until it was lost. The weird thing is that the one who taught me the fear of God was also one who enjoyed lots of recreation with her students. She took us to McDonalds, etc. (that was in 1978). What an impact!

You are an encouragement brother! Keep the faith. Stay on fire for God until the devil can't get a secret sin in sideways! Your making a difference for the Glory and Kingdom of God.

Bro
Mike,

Thanks for the little advertisement. If I sound a little twangy its because I am (lol). Those messages are from the Adult Sunday School class I teach. I have been in that ministry since 1993.

Hope God will use them and others to change lives! I have been so changed and revived. These Finney sermons are going to turn a lot of people around by God's grace and mercy. I am on #3 and it was so powerful I had to lay down and sleep it off for a minute. I literally was so touched I had to lie down! We don't hear that kind of preaching.

Hope all is well with you. In my prayers!

-Robert

2004/3/27 18:33Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Personally I am a youth pastor, but wish even not I could go and teach the children the fear of the Lord balanced with the love of Jesus. We have a lot of love being taught, but not a lot of fear of God. It is the beginning of wisdom.

Indeed, the fear of the Lord is not preached on much. And I don't think its so much that preachers are afraid to preach it as they simply do not understand it, and don't live it. Thus, they never preach it.

If you study what scholars call the kerygma, that is, the structure of sermons you see preached in the book of Acts, they take a definite structure. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but they never mention anything about Jesus loving anybody in any of their evangelistic sermons that they preached.

As Ravenhill once said, "I'm tired of this sloppy bumper sticker evangelism of 'jesus loves you jesus loves you'."

*Disclaimer... I am not advocating we refrain from telling people about the love of Jesus.

2004/3/27 22:09Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy