SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dispensationalism?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: Dispensationalism?

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:

I realised that I have only a vague idea of what it means to those who use the term. Dispensation simply means "house-order", and is apparently applied by dispensationalists to a rather rigid scheme of classification of the ways God has dealt with mankind.

Before the Fall was different from afterwards; Between then and the Flood was different. The Law under Moses was different again, another dispensation presumably, though it involved only one group of people. Then Jesus came and the Mosaic Law was superceded by the new Covenant. When Jesus returns all will change again.

All this seems obvious. Is that what is called dispensationalism, or is there more to it? People seem to get as excited for or against as they do about Predestination or original sin, but I've yet to fathom what the fuss is about!

Comments please

Jeannette

I don't really see what the fuss is about either. God appears to be gradually teaching mankind what He wants us to know, laying down all the types and shadows in every place it is fitting.

Certainly, we started in innocence in Eden, Gen 1:28, moved on to Consience Gen 3:7, Human Government Gen 8:15, Promise Gen 12:1, Law Ex 19:1, Grace Acts 2:1, and will soon move to the Kingdom Rev 20:4.

I rather see this as God 101, 102, 103, 104.....

Interesting, perhaps significant, but nothing to fight to the death over.

Dispensationalism, in and of itself, does not affect God's gift of Christ to us, but it may describe it, and how we got from one point to another in the overall teaching God is giving us in the Scriptures.

Blessings,

2007/4/17 22:45Profile

Re:

Quote:

UniqueWebRev wrote:
Quote:

LittleGift wrote:

I realised that I have only a vague idea of what it means to those who use the term. Dispensation simply means "house-order", and is apparently applied by dispensationalists to a rather rigid scheme of classification of the ways God has dealt with mankind.

Before the Fall was different from afterwards; Between then and the Flood was different. The Law under Moses was different again, another dispensation presumably, though it involved only one group of people. Then Jesus came and the Mosaic Law was superceded by the new Covenant. When Jesus returns all will change again.

All this seems obvious. Is that what is called dispensationalism, or is there more to it? People seem to get as excited for or against as they do about Predestination or original sin, but I've yet to fathom what the fuss is about!

Comments please

Jeannette

I don't really see what the fuss is about either. God appears to be gradually teaching mankind what He wants us to know, laying down all the types and shadows in every place it is fitting.

Certainly, we started in innocence in Eden, Gen 1:28, moved on to Consience Gen 3:7, Human Government Gen 8:15, Promise Gen 12:1, Law Ex 19:1, Grace Acts 2:1, and will soon move to the Kingdom Rev 20:4.

I rather see this as God 101, 102, 103, 104.....

Interesting, perhaps significant, but nothing to fight to the death over.

Dispensationalism, in and of itself, does not affect God's gift of Christ to us, but it may describe it, and how we got from one point to another in the overall teaching God is giving us in the Scriptures.

Blessings,

Thanks, well said!

Jeannette

2007/4/18 10:18
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I am with you that I don't really understand the premise, either. From just me reading the Bible, it seems to me that everyone is either in Christ or not; that is for those before the cross and after. I don't know all the details, but this seems plain enough to me.

Those lines in Hebrews 11 strengthen my view in this, that all those heroes of the OT did what they did "by faith", choosing to suffer the "reproach of Christ".

All this said, I have a good friend who asked a group of fellow Christians if anyone else was a dispensationalist besides him and I. I didn't say anything, but I think that is hilarious. That has happened with other doctrines, too.

I would like some explanation as to what, very simply, makes you a dispensationalist, and if you are not one, what title are you given by them and why?

Not that it really matters, but I like to know what people are talking about.

2007/4/29 0:45Profile

Re:

Quote:

letsgetbusy wrote:
I am with you that I don't really understand the premise, either. From just me reading the Bible, it seems to me that everyone is either in Christ or not; that is for those before the cross and after. I don't know all the details, but this seems plain enough to me.

Those lines in Hebrews 11 strengthen my view in this, that all those heroes of the OT did what they did "by faith", choosing to suffer the "reproach of Christ".

All this said, I have a good friend who asked a group of fellow Christians if anyone else was a dispensationalist besides him and I. I didn't say anything, but I think that is hilarious. That has happened with other doctrines, too.

I would like some explanation as to what, very simply, makes you a dispensationalist, and if you are not one, what title are you given by them and why?

Not that it really matters, but I like to know what people are talking about.

Hi LGB

You said: "All this said, I have a good friend who asked a group of fellow Christians if anyone else was a dispensationalist besides him and I. I didn't say anything, but I think that is hilarious. That has happened with other doctrines, too."

HAHAHA that really is funny! Why there's this obsessive desire to label people I don't know! Although I've done it too...

Thanks for the lighter note

Jeannette

2007/4/29 13:49
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

KJ,

That was a very informative lecture. Thanx for posting that.

Would you do me a favor and post one or two of Lowery's statements regarding Christ not being the Messianic King? I want to make sure I understand what he is saying.

2007/4/29 21:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy