Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Virginia Tech

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

Virginia Tech

I dont know how many have heard about todays rampage at Virginia tech.Its all over the news websites. At last count 29 people have died. My prayers go out to anyone who lost a loved one. What has this world come to? Where is it going...
GOD Bless

2007/4/16 14:28Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Virginia Tech

it has been posted in the news and current events section here:

[b]21 dead in Virginia Tech campus shooting[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16272&forum=48

2007/4/16 14:36Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

I missed looking in that area before I posted this. Thanks for the link.

2007/4/16 14:43Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re: original post.

Why not ask the ACLU? I'm certainly not trying to be sarcastic at such a tragic time as this. But they are responsible for so much of what we see in our country today in the form of tragedy.
As a nation, we have told God we don't want Him around. So He has taken His hand off of us. What you see on the news and in the streets is what happens when God is not around.
Will it get worse? Absolutely. We haven't seen anything yet. I shudder to think what it's going to be like 20 years from now.
I work with young people every day, ages 17 and under. I'm 63. They have no concept of the ethics and thought processes that I have instilled in me. They have been raised on a tv set and a video game unit. That's it. They life for the moment as a 2 year old does. They don't think about tommorrow, much less next year. It staggers me. These people will control this nation and society in just a few short years. Our values are likely to die with us. Then what? Yes it is scary.
Turn it around? It is possible, with God. But God partners with man because He gave man dominion over the earth. Unless man comes back to his senses and begins to partner with God, it will only get worse. Remember 2 Chron 7:14. He said His people had to turn from their wicked ways. Yet we rush head long into sin. Most Americans, church people included have an insatiable desire for amusement, comfort, and pleasure, the moment by moment quest of the flesh. It is so powerful, that man will stop at nothing to satisfy the lust of a heart that is infinitely wicked. Unless the Lord build the house, they labor in vain who build it.

Selah!

"O"

2007/4/17 9:04Profile

Re:

This is tragic. There is no doubt. However, it is no more tragic than the many more deaths that happen each and every day all over the world. Many of the people are dying without Jesus. I guess, being a Canadian living in Korea, that I have a different vantage point, but I feel that we as North Americans sometimes feel as though we are safe from the horrible world 'over there' (over here). This is obviously not so apparent amongst, 'believer's', but it does still spill within 'us'. These are the times we live. Walk with the Lord and allow others to follow.

2007/4/17 9:20

Re:

Not saying it isnt getting worse... but occasional heiness crimes have happened in this country since it's inception. Jesse James, Bonnie & Clyde, Charles Manson, that dude in Milwaukee who was eating his victims... Columbine.

The VT tragedy is still very raw because it just happened, so it's normal for everyone to freak out and start pointing fingers, etc. I personally think it is time for level heads to really look at it and see what happened.

Absolutely our pop culture is cultivating a lot of this, and our nation turning it's back on God adds even more coals to the fire. Let's keep in mind this was one person who did this.

20 minutes after the first report I heard someone on the radio spouting off about "this is why we need more gun control!" No... we need more self control. Sin is what caused this, not guns. The only people gun control effects are the law abiding citizens, not the criminals. This guy was here on a student visa... he broke the law by just having guns.

I hate when these things happen because for a week all we'll hear are knee-jerk reactions to this tragedy.

What we need is prayer and revival. God's solution for sin is what we need. Not man's solutions for the results of sins. We're reaping the hurricane.

Krispy

2007/4/17 10:07

Re: Virginia Tech

Krispy said

Quote:
...we need more self control. Sin is what caused this, not guns.

... God's solution for sin is what we need. Not man's solutions for the results of sins.

Krispy,

I agree that the solution this man took was wrong. It was not God's solution to the issues he saw, which drove him to distraction.

I would add that many of God's people are driven to distraction - vexed - by what they see in the world, and this is GOD's work in a soul.

For those who know Him, or seek Him, these come to understand how ingrained they also have become with the ways and mindset of the world, and they offer themselves to God for renewal; they seek to bring His kingdom in the earth of their own life first, and then to the lives of others, by example.

2 Peter 2 (KJV)
4 For if God ... 5 ... spared not the old world ... bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; 6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned [i]them[/i] with an overthrow, making [i]them[/i] an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; 7 And delivered just Lot, [b]vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked[/b]:

8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, [b]vexed[/b] [i]his[/i] [b]righteous soul from day to day with [/b][i]their[/i] [b]unlawful deeds[/b];) 9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished: 10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government.

Presumptuous [i]are they[/i], selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. 11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.

Romans 12
16 ... Be not wise in your own conceits.
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil.
Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19 Dearly beloved, [b]avenge not yourselves, but[/b] [i]rather[/i][b] give place unto [/b][God's][b] wrath[/b]: for it is written, Vengeance [i]is[/i] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

[Tyndale's marginal note [paraphrased]:states that heaping coals of fire on your enemy's head = loving him lots, to change his heart, so that he also learns to love.]

I would add another quote from a sermon I heard in Hebrews (12:29): " 'Our God is a consuming fire' is a description of His [b]love[/b]."

2007/4/20 10:03
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I can just imagine the abolishionists saying, 'well keeping slaves is sinful... but you know, some people treat their slaves better than others, you don't make everyone give up slaves just because of a few bad eggs.'

2007/4/20 10:12Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: VT Massacre

How strange it is that the world is fixated on the repeat and repeat and repeat of the same small bits of information.

If this is what happens from the death of 32 people, what will happen when a dirty bomb or a small nuke is finally triggered in our cities?

Will the media be blessedly quieted? Will this masscare a million times over be enough to satisfy the lust for detail after detail of what happened to who when, and why?

How silly it seems to hear of Postal Worker Police coming four days after the day to ask the same questions, and appear important on TV.

How tiresome that yet another committee has been formed to look into this matter, as if we don't know what happened already?

Can someone overflowing with self pity and blame for others always be stopped? Can we regulate ourselves into perfect conformity, and a world without pain?

How increadibly insane it sounds.

Can these people not see they are reaping the result of a tiny, but critical action?

That one day in the early sixties, the Ten Commandments were taken from schools, because the fools in the education department convinced congress that they knew beter than God?

Oh, that lightening would strike every camera in America, that no news could be photographed, and people would find out how much easier it is to read of what has happened, and pray for the families, instead of celebrating the insanity of this one demon possessed young man.

And, oh, that the world still believed in evil.

In Christ,

2007/4/20 10:37Profile

Re:

Quote:

BrianMira wrote:
This is tragic. There is no doubt. However, it is no more tragic than the many more deaths that happen each and every day all over the world. Many of the people are dying without Jesus. I guess, being a Canadian living in Korea, that I have a different vantage point, but I feel that we as North Americans sometimes feel as though we are safe from the horrible world 'over there' (over here). This is obviously not so apparent amongst, 'believer's', but it does still spill within 'us'. These are the times we live. Walk with the Lord and allow others to follow.

I quote my own writing because I wrote this before I knew that the young Korean man was involved. It is more interesting now, because I witnessed on Monday that there was not much interest among the Korean people, seeing that it 'seemed way over there' in the U.S... now it 'seems to be way over here' and it has definately changed the tone of conversation amongst the students and foreign teachers.

One Canadian teacher was in a taxi here and although the driver could barely speak English, he could express one simple word,"Sorry!".

For a few days I have been trying to explain to all the students that it has nothing to do with Korean people in particular. It is more about how society has been raised, without God.

This has given me a great avenue to talk about Jesus, since they are without any answers and I continue to be joyful and optimistic. Nothing can take my joy, even in something like this.

I truly feel sorry for those affected, however, I believe that those that died and Jesus knew are in a much better place and are not too disappointed. The other ones, I cannot speak for, including Cho.

Anyway, this event has and will continue to raise many questions. We have the answers, through the Spirit...

God Bless those that rise up,
BrianMira

2007/4/20 10:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy