SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is Limited Atonement heresy?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
JaySaved

Missouri

Is Limited Atonement heresy?

Jerry Falwell's Friday the 13th declaration: Limited atonement is heresy

See this [url=http://www.founders.org/blog/2007/04/jerry-falwells-friday-13th-declaration.html]link[/url] to the video of Jerry Falwell's comments on Limited Atonement:

Quote:
"We are not into particular love or limited atonement. As a matter of fact we consider it heresy."

I ask the members of SI, do you believe that the doctrine of [url=http://www.aomin.org/Was%20Anyone%20Saved.html]Limited Atonement[/url] is heresy?

2007/4/16 13:37Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Is Limited Atonement heresy?

Quote:
I ask the members of SI, do you believe that the doctrine of Limited Atonement is heresy?

I am very reluctant to call something heresy, because those that teach such will not inherit the kingdom of God. So no, I don't think it is heresy although I disagree with the doctrine.

Gal 5:20-21 ...heresies.....of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

2007/4/16 13:56Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

This issue of [i]heresy[/i] is something that I have thought about from time to time.

According to Strong's the word which is translated heresies in Galatians 5:20 is

G139

hairesis
hah'ee-res-is
From G138; properly a choice, that is, (specifically) a party or (abstractly) disunion. (“heresy” is the Greek word itself.): - heresy [which is the Greekord itself], sect.

[i]...a choice[/i]

Now, someone with more knowledge of the greek language may point out my error here(and please do if I am in error here), but my impression of this matter of heresy is this:

That something or other becomes a heresy when a person or group of persons insist on a particular doctrine or teaching on a particular subject or fact to the disunion of the body of beleivers, when this subject or fact is not otherwise so self-evident and or plainly and unmistakeably laid out in the scriptures as to make the holding of teachings or doctrines that are contrary to it, the same as rejecting revealed truth.

If that is an acceptable definition of heresy, then perhaps the question of this thread could be phrased this way:

Is the doctrine of [i]Limited Atonement[/i] true?

Or perhaps it may also be asked:

If I contend for the doctrine of [i]Limited Atonement[/i] to the disunion of the body of believers, is that heresy?

Peace be with you all in Messiah Jesus

EDIT: I should rephrase the question [i]Is the doctrine of Limited Atonement true?[/i] to say, is it true, and [b]unmistakeably and plainly so[/b].

2007/4/16 14:35Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: definition of heresy

Have been thinking about this some more and would consider adding another qualifier to the definition of heresy that I gave before, and that would be this:

I would ask, above and beyond if something is unmistakeably and plainly true, if there is [b]also[/b] some [b]nescessity[/b] in contending for it.

I think of how the Lord Jesus told the Jews

[b][color=660033] I have many things to say and to judge of you[/color][/b]

Yet it is not appearant, at least to me, that He ever did, at least while He was with them. And then too, how He told His own disciples,

[b][color=660033] I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.[/color][/b]

He said they could not bear them [i]now[/i]. So it seems He did not tell them, [i]then[/i].

So it should be with us?

[i] A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it![/i] -Proverbs 15:23

2007/4/16 15:28Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Chris's definition of heresy is correct. Biblically speaking, "to be a heretic" is simply to be an individual who causes division within the church, so as to create factions and parties. The word heresy later came to simply be associated with anybody who taught some different points in regard to doctrine that was considered contrary to established orthodoxy.

Biblically speaking, the word heresy never refers to a doctrine per say, but a person and their actions.

2007/4/16 16:13Profile

Re:

Interesting! Thanks for the definition Chris.

So is Jerry Falwell a heretic for saying that Limited Atonement is heresy? Or is Jay a heretic if he believes in Limited Atonement and thinks everyone else is a heretic if they don't? ;-)

Just being a bit silly there...:-P

Jeannette

2007/4/16 16:32
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Biblically speaking, the word heresy never refers to a doctrine per say, but a person and their actions.

If I tell you that I disagree with your definition, am I a heretic? ;-)

1Co 11:19,
For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

Ga 5:20
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

2Pe 2:1
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Heresy in these instances refers to false doctrine.

So, let's get back to the main point a second. Do you believe Limited Atonement is a heresy?

2007/4/16 16:41Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
So is Jerry Falwell a heretic for saying that Limited Atonement is heresy? Or is Jay a heretic if he believes in Limited Atonement and thinks everyone else is a heretic if they don't?

Hey, sister, now [i]you're[/i] being a heretic too for even entertaining such a heretical thought!

:-o

2007/4/16 16:42Profile

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Quote:
So is Jerry Falwell a heretic for saying that Limited Atonement is heresy? Or is Jay a heretic if he believes in Limited Atonement and thinks everyone else is a heretic if they don't?

Hey, sister, now [i]you're[/i] being a heretic too for even entertaining such a heretical thought!

:-o

LOL Paul

2007/4/16 16:58

Re:

I read a post by Evan Schaible on another board. In it he says:

"Jesus' life, death, burial and resurrection procure salvation for any and all who repent and believe. The only thing limited in the extent of the atonement are the benefits - full present salvation based on the finished work of Christ - as only those who repent and believe reap those benefits. The death of Christ is sufficient for all, but efficient only for those who repent and believe.

-- Evan"

If this is what you mean by limited atonement then I would not call it heresy.

2007/4/16 17:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy