Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Political Christian is an oxymoron

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rowdy2

Southern USA

Political Christian is an oxymoron

Some Christians in the belief that peace, truth and justice will come as a result of Christians becoming politically active have the misguided hope that they can take over some of the political institutions of America. They hope by raising money and sighing petitions, they can get members of their group elected to public office. They want to build a religious political party that will follow the religious leader of the day and share in his fifteen minutes of fame and glory. They believe if they have control of the political soap box they could build coalitions with other religious organization and convey to the masses their religious understanding of Our Creator's ideas of peace and justice. They want to replace the politicians that act as though they are not subject to or bound by religious rules. By defeating them politically, they want to manufacture the consent to rule America as political activists. As religionist they have perfected the system of ruling by manufactured consent in the religious institutions of today. They want to serve God as mediators between man and God and exclude dissent systematically as they do in their various religions and the different sects and denominational beliefs. There is a strong backlash of fear against the rule of the churches built by hands. As everyone knows the church made with hands of flesh has a man of flesh in charge and our forefathers came to this country to escape the horrors perpetrated on them by governments and churches that evokes the name of God to justify their actions. Think of the consequences, all the people that invoke the name of God would be lumped together[ as " people of faith" as we are now are being defined] and their would be all out warfare between the different beliefs. The physical battles have already become violent and have escalated world wide. Each religious group is sure that their religion is the one taking over the world and there leaders have the Devine truth. Christians will be persecuted for crimes committed by other religious groups.
Stop! Don't be lumped in with and march under an ensign other than the cross, for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. We the humble upright children that walk after the spirit of peace have a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, and the spirit of this world has nothing in Him. We put all our trust in Christ Jesus our High Priest and He never changes. Can you a sinner stand the unending glare of the holy law of Almighty God to love thy neighbor and cast aside His grace and engage your government, your country men, members of your own family and your neighbors in warfare? If you can you are still divided and still have the spirit of the world, and don’t have the peace that is in Christ Jesus. Jesus did not come to bring peace but a sword to divide the world. Peace is not found anywhere in the world but only in the body of Christ. Keep your focus and don’t become part of Babylon and confusion and the babel that separates men and women from God Who is not the author of confusion, that is the spirit of the world that the lost gets their power from. We are one in Christ Jesus, the light set on Mount Zion and the city of saints that accept Him and His peace and love. Peace is a gift from God to the Body of Christ Jesus and not to the world. All that are in Christ Jesus are not part of the world of tribulation.. We don’t walk in darkness but in light, so separate from them, don’t go down to the pit. Gather in our Lord the Light not in man’s wisdom and its darkness that deceived Adam and you. You can not compete with your Master you can only trust Him and believe that all power comes from God. When you seek power and authority then the part of you that is a sinner is in charge. When you are humble you are putting your trust in God and putting God is in charge of in all your life. God loves you and is able to preserve you even in a world with the lost that are under the wrath of God. So walk before God in light praising His Holy Name in peace.

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3: 35-36 KJV

Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book? When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back this I know; for God is for me. In God will I praise his word: in the Lord will I praise his word. In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me. Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.
For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living? Psalms 56: 8-13

Eddie

2007/4/16 6:57Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Political Christian is an oxymoron

Hi brother Eddie, how are you?

Brother, I do think there is a need for balance.

[i] When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.[/i]

Am reminded too how the Lord Jesus said

[b][color=660033] Ye are the salt of the earth[/color][/b]

And so if we refuse to salt something(which is not in itself evil) with our presence, should we marvel that it rots?

Chris

2007/4/16 8:18Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:

I often wonder about this very same thing, but there are men like William Wilberforce to consider.

Perhaps a facet in understanding one another in this sensitive subject, whether we are talking about our own political system, or the system that the early church had to endure, is the level of dissapoitnment and even disillusionment we each experience with government.

The Kingdom of Heaven becomes much clearer to people who are disenfranchised here on Earth. I'm not saying that it should be so...only that this is how I observe it to be. For instance, in general our American society is at the top of the food chain as far as earthly kingdoms go, and so it is quite natural for Americans to place at least some hope in our earthly systems of security, health, provision, and education. This is a particular mousetrap for Christians living within strong earthly states. It was generally true of the Romans, the British, and now the Americans.

Throughout the Church's history I think she has related herself to political governments in three divergent ways. We can see all three of these were present during the Reformation. First is the magisterial Church/State union as embodied by the French Reformer John Calvin, where the Church is formally involved in the legislative, judicial and executive offices of government. In the middle is Martin Luther's position that the Church holds sway over the spiritual and moral climate of a nation while recognizing that the earthly government bears the responsibility (and sword) of ruling the state. The last position is that taken by the Anabaptists who regarded all earthly or political involvement with the government as misguided and worldy entanglement for a people who are called to be seperate holy nation.

I think these three positions are still with us today. In fact, they sometimes exist simultaneously within myself as I wrestle with the thought that the United States may someday move from being merely politically correct to militantly anti-Christian.

Blessings brothers,

MC

2007/4/16 9:04Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

1 Tim 2v1-4, 'Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men,

vs 2, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.

vs 3, For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,

vs 4, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

In this scripture, we see a desire of God for all men to be saved.

Does this then exclude politicians?

Should Christians vote, is that not being involve in politics?

If someone who is a Christian gets involved in politics, does it make their salvation null and void?

Jesus healed people. They were healed from many infirmities.

We saw many healings take place during the time of the apostles in the book of Acts.

Does that mean Christians cannot be doctors?

Wasn't the writer of the gospel of Luke and the book of Acts a physician? Col 4v14.

There are many parallels we could draw. But it is better to stop and think about why we believe as we do.

Simply because we are in this world does not mean we are of it, because we are not.

Go by the word, for God knows best.

God bless.

2007/4/16 9:40Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

One time Billy Graham was asked if he considered running for president, he replied 'Why would I want to be president when I'm already a king and priest in God's kingdom?' (paraphrased)

I think that sums up my point of view about politics. If the church was doing what it was supposed to be doing, we wouldn't need Christians in politics.

2007/4/16 9:43Profile
Compton

Re:

We should make a distinction between Christians involved in politics, and Christian political organizations. Inspite of my wariness of Christian participation, I ask myself who is left to write the laws if Christians do not participate?

Quote:
One time Billy Graham was asked if he considered running for president, he replied 'Why would I want to be president when I'm already a king and priest in God's kingdom?' (paraphrased)

Ironically Graham was intimately connected to the Oval Office of several Presidencies. Though he did not hold office, can we say that he was not involved in politics?

MC

2007/4/16 10:22Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:

Am reminded too how the Lord Jesus said

[b][color=660033] Ye are the salt of the earth[/color][/b]

And so if we refuse to salt something(which is not in itself evil) with our presence, should we marvel that it rots?

It's not politics that's going to save us. If we really want to see things changed, here's what we're supposed to do:

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Maybe in earlier days Christians could have been in politics without compromise, but I don't think so today. :-(

Jordan

2007/4/17 15:53Profile
timmyspitz

Cottonwood, Arizona

Scriptures settles it for me when Jesus said His kingdom is not of this world.

But then also considered church history- when the church did take over the political establishments of Rome- and what happened? Into the church came the world and some of the strongest compromises of history.

2007/4/17 17:48Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy