SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Today: The Day the Titanic Sank

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Today: The Day the Titanic Sank

On this date, Apr. 14, 1912 the Titanic sank off the coast of Halifax. This was not merely the disaster of a magnificent ocean liner or the loss of 1500 lives. Really, this incident represented the ultimate outcome of the pride of a nation that thought it was unsinkable.

We must never forget this date. It is a warning to our modern society, built into our history. It reminds us of the ultimate outcome of trusting in the greatness of man.

In a sense life is one big journey across the waters. We put our trust in our "ship". The question is: Which ship am I on?

[url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/cruise.htm]Destinational Cruise of a Lifetime - Don't miss out! [/url]

Diane

2007/4/14 8:56Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re: Today: The Day the Titanic Sank

Hi Diane it is a special day in deed,especially if ur from Southampton like myself..

I grew up to stories of the liners,my Dad was a steward on the QE2 and Queen Mary among others..I remember my Dad telling me of his awe of nature,how it once lifted the QE2 like it was a toy,i remembering him shuddering at its power..

The Titanic disaster touched all parts of my city..A road in the Chapel/Northam area of Southampton was nicknamed the road of tears,nearly every house was effected by the disaster..Around 724 of the crew lived within the Southampton area,only 175 returned..In one school in Northam,120 out of the 240 children lost their father.

For a long time employment on the cruise liners, was a way out for many young people from this city..It more or less died off in the 80s,with most of the cabin staff being employed from abroad..

I would be surprised if many people even realize todays date..I guess we have our own horrors to ponder..

I agree with your post mans trust in man..But also i feel there were many many noble people on that day,not least the gallant musicians..

andy

2007/4/14 9:57Profile
roadsign

Re: the tragedy in Southampton

Andy said:

Quote:
But also i feel there were many many noble people on that day,not least the gallant musicians..

No doubt! And of course.... the musicians.... playing hymns even as the ship sank!

You make a good point, Andy. It is not fair to paint everyone with the same stroke of the brush. There may have been devout believers who lost their lives. But then, isn’t that the way it is. God doesn’t necessarily “bubble” his own, and spare them from all the calamities that befall mankind. That is all the more reason to make certain we are on the right “ship” eternally speaking – regardless of what "ships" we may find ourselves be on in this present world.

I appreciate the history you share from the perspective of those living in Southampton, UK. We don't often get such personal accounts when we read history.

By the way, there is a town called Southampton near us - on the shore of Lake Huron. When I travel there I will remember another perspective of its name.

Diane

2007/4/14 13:56Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi Diane i agree with ur post completely,i just knew the musician story would appeal to u!!

My bad it sunk on the 15th, hit the iceberg on the 14 not to be picky :-P ,but my friend pulled me up on it hes a titanic nut..

andy

2007/4/15 4:37Profile
SeanHobson

Cleveland, OH

Re:

Dear Diane,

I do commend you for articulating a well thought article from a spiritual viewpoint on the titanic tragedy. I enjoyed reading the graph and skimming through the text. Unbeknownst to me though, skimming through your site I had an experienced like unto the titanic. Let me explain.

Browsing through your articles I came across one entitled [url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/pleasehearwhatiam.htm]"Please Hear What I am Not Saying"[/url]. Though it was not authored by you, I thank you as thanking the author for hosting his work. Thinking I had spiritual gifts enough to discern the beauty is such a title, I glanced at this rose (picking it up), and the thorns were sharp enough to pierce through my SI-armored heart. Upon reading the poetic piece, it seemed almost a description of my own pretending, but yea upon God’s dealing with me, he shewed me this was my fellow man.

Quote:
I chatter to you in the swave tones of surface talk. I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is really everything,Nothing of what is crying within me. So, do not be fooled by what I am saying.

How I stereotype him by anti-socialness, show no compassion and love, yea and even judging him only worthy of my trivial small talk—when I ought to see through their masks and speak of Jesus.

Quote:
You can help me to break down the wall behind which I tremble. You can help me to remove my mask. You can help me to be released from my shadowy world of panic,uncertainty and loneliness.

It shattered my mask dear sister, and praise God he prevented my trying to tape it back together with revival sermons and articles. How I shall apply this to my everyday walk I shall yet uncover.

Sailing further I discovered your article [url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/redlightdistrict.htm]"The Red Light Distrct"[/url]. My seeing your person once helped me to visualize you walking in such a place. You tempted with thoughts I probably would strive with surprised me, revealing just how all our minds our ( or would to be) were it not for Gods grace.

Quote:
That night God hung a red light over me, and the Holy Spirit shone into many dark corners of my heart. Suddenly, by divine enlightenment, I could see many of my own hypocritical offenses that, in God's eyes, were just as bad as the sins of the prostitutes. Here is one example: I had decided to avoid the Red Light District, in order to keep MYself pure and clean. I was attempting to maintain MY self-righteous condition. I would never have chosen to go there. Oh no! Not me! The Pharisees were like that too. They kept away from sinful places because they wanted to stay clean. So they stuck to each other. Jesus was not that way. He hung around with the sinners --even the prostitutes, in order that he could love them and rescue them from their sin bondages. He was not concerned about maintaining a reputation that impressed his religious associates. He was more concerned about the condition of the lost.

Painting the picture of the actual fear of men, heart structured religion and social ‘dos & don’ts’ among professed Christians was a treat to see you overcome. However, I find its so much easier to witness someone else’s revelation than to actually take part in it—and this is what I’m guilty of. It grieves me I cannot put into practice from reading your experience as you have learned. It shouldn’t take for me to have to bodily fly to Amsterdam as thou hast to receive from Christ what thou hast, but it seems my ship is that well built—but by thy obedience it is losing water fast.

Quote:
Ever since my encounter with God that night in Amsterdam, his mercy towards me has taken on much greater significance. I have come to realize that God has never been the least bit impressed with many of the values that I had adopted. He has never been impressed with all my attempts to attain self-righteousness. (That didn't work anyway.) Instead, he wanted me to be honest about myself, stop trusting in my own efforts, and put my trust in him --in his love, mercy and forgiveness. I have come to believe that my salvation is not merely a past event. It is a daily reality because I am in continual need of God's mercy - every moment of every day. Only as I rest in the assurance of God's forgiveness, am I able to live in the joy of his salvation. That awareness helps me to lean on God, rather than on myself or on others.

All in all I enjoyed my voyage around your site, I bless God he’s somewhat shown me the folly of my selfish architecture, its now up to me whether I shall apply them as successful as you did with that woman you met. The visual aids and scripture references were profitable to convey these lessons of great value, and I trust you still walk in them.

P.S.
Quote:
My brother, playing the minister, would stand on the kitchen table with a book in his hands (often upside-down) and preach his heart out. He delivered his sermons with passion and conviction. Then he would baptize my dolls at the bathroom sink saying exactly the right words.

This gave me a few laughs :-) . Thanks for sharing your life Diane, it has helped me.

2007/4/15 10:00Profile
Spitfire

Re:

Quote:
We must never forget this date. It is a warning to our modern society, built into our history. It reminds us of the ultimate outcome of trusting in the greatness of man.

Oh!Oh! God help us! Let us see as you see, Lord.

Quote:
I had an experienced like unto the titanic.

Sean, you dear man, I love you. Would that we would all have this experience on a regular basis. You're gonna make it, Brother. I know you are. :-D Love, Dian.

2007/4/15 10:29Profile
roadsign

Re: to Sean

Dian said:

Quote:
Sean, you dear man, I love you. Would that we would all have this experience on a regular basis. You're gonna make it Brother. I know you are.

And I say, "Ditto!"

Sean, I enjoyed reading through your reflections. God is working in your heart, and I trust that he always keeps it tender.

I'm so glad to have met you in person (in 3-D) in Ohio, and now I can "hear" you speaking these words.

God bless you. He is pouring his Spirit out on you.

Diane

2007/4/15 15:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy