SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am man in the ministry fell into sin must he confess to all?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Here4Him

England

I am man in the ministry fell into sin must he confess to all?

If a man who is in the ministry falls into sexual sin on the internet and the Lord graciously leads him to repentance and restores Him (without the man being found out) and he confesses all to his mentor and accountability partner and with him goes about putting a strategy in place so that he never falls into that sin again, must the man confess all to his church and the senior leaders? Is he unfit for any furthur ministry for the Lord? Must he resign?

2007/4/12 8:31Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: I am man in the ministry fell into sin must he confess to all?

1 Tim 3v2, 'A bishop then must be blameless...

Someone who has fallen into sin on the internet is not blameless.

Does one and all have to know about the sin? No.
Peoples minds are polluted enough without that.

What is the extent of the repentance? Was it done because the indiviual was found out, or was it with genuine brokeness?

I do know personally of a similar circumstance. The indiviual was not repentant and was asked to leave the church, which he did.

His wasn't through the internet, but I won't go into detail.

There is a similar thread dealing with missionaries concerning this matter.

I haven't given much help, but others will no doubt contribute.

God bless.

2007/4/12 9:14Profile
Nellie

If we confess our sins He {Jesus} is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 .

There was a Young Girl in the Church I used to attend , who confessed to being a Lesbian in Prison.
God had set her free, so she assumed everyone would be glad she was forgiven.
God forgave her, but some of the Church Members never forgot it.
She has gone back to her sin.
Only God can restore her.

Jesus Christ only forgives sins.
It is only by the Grace of God, we all stand.
God Bless
Nellie

2007/4/12 9:36Profile

Re:

This is a tough call. Personally, if I was to council someone in this circumstance, I would advise the man to go thru a self imposed suspension w/out opening up his sin for all to see. At the same time, I would advise him to confess his sin to his wife and seek help in his marriage. Kinda hard for a minister to have a self imposed suspension w/out his wife wondering why.

The purpose of the suspension is to give time for personal and marital healing and growth. Once the men he is accountable to believe he has repented and turned, and that his marriage is stable, then they can begin to prayerfully consider starting back in ministry.

Krispy

2007/4/12 10:07
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Quote:
must the man confess all to his church and the senior leaders?

Such an act would show true repentance. If a person has truly repented, then confessing the sin to anyone would prove true humility.

Not to mention, the Lord could use such a situation and turn it into a blessing. If the leader confesses of his sin, and places himself at the mercy of his Church, he is truly acting with a servants heart. As such, the sheep in his flock could learn from his mistakes. This act might also cause others to step forward in the Church who also suffer from the same sin. This could lead to others coming to repentance. The leader should set the example for the other's to follow. If the leader cannot confess his sin before the Church, how should anyone else confess before the Church? This could only lead to a blessing.

Quote:
Is he unfit for any furthur ministry for the Lord?

He was never fit for ministry to begin with. No one is. If God only chose those who were capable and fit, then there would be no ministers. The Lord purposely chooses people who are unfit, and calls them, because it clearly displays God's work and His power. Look at Peter. He denied Christ three times. He was overly eager. The Lord shaped and molded Peter into the rock. It was the Lord's work, not Peters.

The important thing is that the person is broken unto the Lord so that the Lord may work.

Obviously, if the person continues in sin, the person should not continue in ministry. Such a thing proves that the Lord is not at work in them.

Quote:
Must he resign?

Who could possibly answer this question except for the Lord? Is not the Lord the one who calls a man or woman to service? Is not the Lord the one who places a man or woman into ministry? It is the Lord's decision as to whether a person should resign.

The man should spend hours upon hours in prayer drawing close to the Lord, seeking His will. He should lay his life down at the Lord's feet and admit that he is unworthy. Then, after being broken bread unto the Lord, he should let the Lord reshape Him accordingly. If the Lord feels the man is unfit, the man will know what to do. He will know to resign.

However, we must also remember that the Lord may work through a person's weakness. The important thing is that he leans completely on Christ for victory over sin. If the person thinks for one minute "I can stop this on my own," then they have already failed. The Lord is not working in them, they are working in themselves. Only the Lord has the power to keep a person on the right path. Only the Lord has the power to keep a person away from sin.

If anything, this man should learn complete and total dependence on the Lord in this. If he has not, if he has not been broken, then danger lurks in the darkness. This will show itself in reoccurring sin. The person will walk around depressed and defeated by sin, feeling as though he could never be forgiven. Christ died for all sin. He must know this through and through.

A person in this situation must submit themselves to the mercy of the Lord. They must be willing to face any trial. Through this, the Lord may work freely. And though hardship may come, Christ will always prevail when given the opportunity to work.

Hope this helps,

In love,
Blake

2007/4/12 10:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
1 Tim 3v2, 'A bishop then must be blameless...

Someone who has fallen into sin on the internet is not blameless.

Does this mean that a single sin disqualifies a man from serving the saints?

The old puritans used to ask the question as to whether a man taken in sin could ever preach again. Their answer was 'Yes, when his confession is as notorious as his sin'.

Where there has been public sin it is often necessary for public confession. If the sin is not so conspicuous it may not need public confession. 'if we acknowledge our sin...' is a Godwards admonition.

If a servant in the church continues in sin there may have to be a public action; “Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.” (1Tim 5:20 NKJV)
Krispy has some solid advice here but what this man needs, to begin with, is a brother that he can share with. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.” (Gal 6:1 NKJV)

2007/4/12 10:58Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Here4Him...

I feel that this may depend upon the severity of the sin.

Sin is sin. However, would we want every pastor, evangelist, teacher, etc... to resign for a sin of unforgiveness, episode of gossip, moment of lust, etc? I suppose that there is a difference between "living in" sin and "committing a" sin.

You really didn't get specific in this topic (concerning the extent of the sin). But I would certainly say that a man who fell into sin (immersed) should resign for his own good and the good of his congregation. Why? He cannot fully look after the needs of his congregation (or family) if he himself is desperately concentrating on freedom from his own dire condition.

However, we should remember that there isn't a pastor/evangelist/teacher (etc) who is completely sinless. A "good" pastor would be the first to admit that he is susceptible to the same temptations as the rest of his congregation. The Word of God includes the examples of some great "men of God" -- and many of the "greatest" were caught into moments of terrible sin. However, if all of the ministers in the world were to resign for committing a sin, there wouldn't be any ministers left in the world.

If a person is caught up in sin and is having difficulty overcoming (such as lust, rage, and even gossip), then the person should probably resign until victory is achieved.

I wonder if Peter was forced to resign for the faults that Paul pointed out?

:-(

2007/4/12 12:08Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

Thanks all for your thoughts. This man was repentance was not influenced by him being found out because the church and leaders do not know but he has repented and has confessed his sin to his mentor and acountability partner and they together have done all they can to make sure he does not fall again in this area (ie, subscibing to an internet accountability website etc).

The man is clearly broken over his sin, and over God's mercy and unfailing love to him.

But the thing is if the church and the leaders were to know they would never forget, and for the rest of his life they would the man would probably be marked by the sin into which he fell. This man has consistently walked in righteousness and has sought the Lord for holiness, and this was a fall but not a habitual lifestyle.

Isn't confessing it to God and his mentor enough? God is merciful but generally men are not, God forgives sin and puts it behind His back, men are slow to forget.

I know that this man's heart is to serve the Lord, and he wants to serve Him more faithfully and is seeking Him and His grace and strength. Hasn't this suffered enough over his sin- the shame, the guilt,the regret, the grief, the brokeness- need he suffer more?

2007/4/12 12:13Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Quote:
He was never fit for ministry to begin with. No one is. If God only chose those who were capable and fit, then there would be no ministers. The Lord purposely chooses people who are unfit, and calls them, because it clearly displays God's work and His power. Look at Peter. He denied Christ three times. He was overly eager. The Lord shaped and molded Peter into the rock. It was the Lord's work, not Peters.

The important thing is that the person is broken unto the Lord so that the Lord may work.

Obviously, if the person continues in sin, the person should not continue in ministry. Such a thing proves that the Lord is not at work in them.

Amen brother!

2007/4/12 12:54Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Quote:
Sin is sin. However, would we want every pastor, evangelist, teacher, etc... to resign for a sin of unforgiveness, episode of gossip, moment of lust, etc? I suppose that there is a difference between "living in" sin and "committing a" sin.

Yes, there is a big difference in living in sin (habitual sin)and moments of sin.

It should not be named among any leaders of habitual sin. Yes, leaders should be blameless as Paul stated about bishops and even deacons.

For leaders to be in known habitual sin need to take warning from Paul in Rom.2. For the wrath of God is stored up among those who habitually sin and then teach others not to sin when they are guilty of what they teach agaist (hypocrites). Notice how Jesus despises the sin of hypocrisy in the gospels. This is one sin that is clearly stated that Jesus hates. He clearly rebuked the religous leaders of this sin in front of everybody, just like Paul rebuked Peter in front of others of his hypocrisy. Habitual sin should not be taken lightly, especially with leaders. Paul rebuked Peter in front of all because his sin was seen publicly, so must be corrected in public that all may know not to follow this sin.

Here4Him mention that it was not a habitual sin. So, I guess the leader glanced at it and was convicted and repented. If it did happend in that way then I don't believe he has to confess publicly. Thats good he did confide in other men, even though it wasn't a habitual sin, it showed his sensitivity to sin, humility, and a desire to walk in holiness.

2007/4/12 13:04Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy