· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : "Revivals of Religion" Lectures by Charles G. Finney

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 "Revivals of Religion" Lectures by Charles G. Finney

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/finney.gif[/img]
I have felt led of God to get up all of Charles Finney's Lectures on the Revivals of Religion. And [b]personally read[/b] them and go through them myself commenting on them. Other people on the site are doing the same, I really believe its crucual for pastors and leaders to read these lectures also. A dear brother is making audio transcriptions for each lecture, so you can listen and read along. Here is a recent comment from this brother: "I was beginning to work on lecture II last night and could not help but wonder the great impact that these lectures will have on Christian lives. They are convicting just reading them. I was thinking about how Paris Reidhead said Wesley would preach until the people fell out utterly unconscious. If you were to use some sermons like these lectures and then preach the enormity of people sins it is very believable that this could happen. This is a taking seriously of the Word of God the likes of which we do not see in our times. People see the Bible as a book of suggestions compared to the way these men viewed it."

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1586&forum=40&7]LECTURE I - WHAT A REVIVAL OF RELIGION IS[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1633&forum=40]LECTURE II - WHEN A REVIVAL IS TO BE EXPECTED[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1814&forum=40]LECTURE III - HOW TO PROMOTE A REVIVAL[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2321&forum=40]LECTURE IV - PREVAILING PRAYER[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2676&forum=40]LECTURE V - THE PRAYER OF FAITH[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2725&forum=40]LECTURE VI - THE SPIRIT OF PRAYER[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2725&forum=40]LECTURE VII - THE SPIRIT OF PRAYER[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3356&forum=40]LECTURE VIII. - MEETINGS FOR PRAYER[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3843&forum=40]LECTURE IX - MEANS TO BE USED WITH SINNERS[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4083&forum=40]LECTURE X - TO WIN SOULS REQUIRES WISDOM[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4317&forum=40]LECTURE XI - A WISE MINISTER WILL BE SUCCESSFUL[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5364&forum=40]LECTURE XII - HOW TO PREACH THE GOSPEL[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6390&forum=40&1]LECTURE XIII - HOW CHURCHES CAN HELP MINISTERS[/url]
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7254&forum=40]LECTURE XIV - MEASURES TO PROMOTE REVIVALS[/url]

[i]Other lectures will be posted as they are completed, feel free to read and comment on the ones done already.[/i]

---

Here are [b]Live Seminars[/b] presented on SermonIndex by Robert Wurtz II on Charles Finney:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4238]An Introduction to Charles G. Finney with Robert Wurtz II[/url] - [i]Neither of his parents were religious, and among his neighbors there were very few religious people. He seldom heard a sermon unless it was from some unlearned preacher whom the people would leave with irrepressible laughter after enduring his sermons. It was from this setting that God raised up a root out of a dry ground. A man that would later coin these compelling words; Revival comes from heaven when heroic souls enter the conflict determined to win or die- or if need be, to win and die![/i]

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4244]Memoirs of the Revivalist with Robert Wurtz II[/url] - [i]When men and women prevail in prayer to God and preach with eternity in their eyes revival often follows. What are the results of a man who preached as if He loved the Lord His God with all his heart and his neighbor as himself? Charles Finney accounts of one of his meetings, At first they looked angry. Some of them said later that they were on the point of getting up and leaving. But I followed them up on the track of their prayers and confessions, until the leading elder burst into tears and exclaimed, "Brother Finney, it's all true!" He fell to his knees and wept aloud. This was the signal for a general breaking. Every man and woman went down on their knees.[/i]

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4378]Overwhelming Conviction with Robert Wurtz II[/url] - [i]How ought men to react to the revelation of their sin before God? What horror comes upon the mind when one realizes they have been trodding Christ under foot? When God pours out of His Spirit upon the people- there are times when even the lightest mention of these things will drive men and women to their knees before God. Charles Finney writes, I arose and was making some remarks to the people, when an unconverted man, a merchant, came into the meeting. He had sat but a few moments, when he fell from his seat as if he had been shot. He writhed and groaned in a terrible manner. I stepped to the pew door, and saw that it was altogether an agony of mind. These and many other accounts of the revival at Rome will we discuss in this session.[/i]

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4250]The Conviction We Need by Robert Wurtz II[/url] - [i]If we are ever to see revival in our lands we must pray for an outpouring of Holy Ghost conviction. We need conviction of sin the likes of which has not been felt in decades. Charles G. Finney recounts such conviction. He writes, After a few moments, I requested the congregation to sit still, while I should go down and speak with the man. I found him to be this Mr. E, of whom I have been speaking. The Spirit of the Lord had so powerfully convicted him, that he was unable to sit on his seat. He was weeping aloud like a child confessing his sins, and accusing himself in a terrible manner. I said a few words to him, to which he seemed to pay but little attention.[/i]

[b]Short Bio:[/b]
Charles Grandison Finney is, without a doubt, a truly fascinating man of God. During his lifetime he served as a teacher, lawyer, evangelist, pastor, theology professor, and college president (Oberlin College, Ohio). What is even more amazing is that, unlike many of our theologians of today, Finney was self educated and held no earned degrees. I often wonder if such a powerful speaker would even be given a chance to preach in our Churches today as he, like Peter the Apostle, was "unlettered".

"Because it pleased Christ to grant me experience with [b]revivals of true Christianity[/b], I thought that through the publication of these lectures I might in a small way serve the church at large." Charles G. Finney [i](from the preface)[/i]

Throughout the winter of 1834, Charles Finney delivered one lecture a week on the principles of revival that he had seen transforming America's churches. These were recorded and later published as the Lectures on Revivals of Religion. Tens of thousands of copies where sold and spiritual awakenings occurred all over America and in Great Britain as a result. A revival classic was born.

----------
[i]Here are some comments on these lectures in book form from people across the world:[/i]

"That being said, when I first read the "Revival Lectures" it completely changed my life. Finney's presentation of the gospel is so much more challenging than the standard 20th/21st century version. This book transformed a generation in the 1800s. It also touched countless lives in the 20th century. (For example, the singer Keith Green was revived in his christian life through this book.)"

"The autobiography makes this book even more believable. The books go together. It has been noted, (not by him), that 85% of his converts were still living for God 7 years after conversion. Compare that with 1% today. Who's wrong? You be the judge. I challenge you to read the book and don't criticize his theology until you do. As one preacher friend told me, "They criticize his theology, but they can't match his power!"

"This is a must read for those interested in true revival. I also thought it quite true and eye opening that Finney dispells many incorrect beliefs about revival that exist today even though the book is over 150 years old. The first and foremost is a parable he tells about farming. Tell a farmer that he should not sow seed, till, water or weed because a harvest is a sovereign act of God and we will all starve. Yes God makes the harvest grow, but man has his part. Likewise a spiritual harvest does not happen without man doing his part. There has never been a revival in the history of the church that broke out without being birthed thru people's intercession and seeking God. A main reason the American church is starving is because they are not willing to work with God for the harvest. This is a real eye opener and a great place to start for those seeking revival."

"I found his teaching on prayer for revival to be the most helpful. It included powerful personal testimonies and real life examples. The book comes from a strong Armenian viewpoint. I thought many of Finney's insights did not align with Biblical truth. Some of his applications, like the problem of barking dogs and chewing tobacco in church are no longer relevant for most American churches. Despite that, this book is mandatory reading for any serious student of revival and valuable reading for anyone desiring to experience it."

"There is a common theme among Finneys lectures that stands out to me, and that is the importance of the here and now. If you read this book prepare to deal with the topic of "revival" personally and immediately, for that is exactly what he asks you to do. When you contrast the principles of revival that Charles Finney outlines in great detail and conviction, it will bring light and correction to the revivals of the present day. I highly recommend this book to any one who is interested in revival. You will draw many truths that will allow you to experience this necessary experience, even if its just on a personal level, for these truths can be applied in your own prayer closet, or as it was, nationwide as seen in Finneys time."

“If Christians around the world were to suddenly renounce their personal agendas, their life goals and their aspirations, and begin responding in radical obedience to everything God showed them. the world would be turned upside down. How do we know? Because that's what first century Christians did, and the world is still talking about it.” - Henry Blackaby

2004/3/25 11:29Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re: "Revivals of Religion" Lectures by Charles G. Finney

I thought it would be usefulness to have an entire breakdown of the Table of Contents for this exposition so you can clearly see how Charles Finney is progressing in his thoughts towards giving God's people a heart for revival.

[b]LECTURE I WHAT A REVIVAL OF RELIGION IS[/b]
I. A Revival Of Religion Is Not A Miracle.
II. I Am To Show What A Revival Is.
III. I Am To Consider The Agencies Employed In Carrying Forward A Revival Of Religion.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE II WHEN A REVIVAL IS TO BE EXPECTED[/b]
I. When Is A Revival Of Religion Needed?
II. I Am To Show The Importance Of A Revival Of Religion In Such Circumstances.
III. I Am To Show When A Revival Of Religion May Be Expected.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE III HOW TO PROMOTE A REVIVAL[/b]
I. What Is It To Break Up The Fallow Ground?
II. How Is The Fallow Ground To Be Broken Up?
Sins Of Omission
Sins Of Commission
Remarks

[b]LECTURE IV PREVAILING PRAYER[/b]
I. I Proceed To Show What Is Prevailing Prayer.
II. I Will State Some Of The Most Essential Attributes Of Prevailing Prayer.
III. I Will State Some Of The Reasons Why These Things Are Essential To Effectual Prayer.
IV. I Am To Show That Such Prayer As I Have Described Will Avail Much.
Remarks

[b]LECTURE V THE PRAYER OF FAITH[/b]
I. That Faith Is An Indispensable Condition Of Prevailing Prayer, Will Not Be Seriously Doubted.
II. We Are To Inquire What We Are To Believe When We Pray.
III. When Are We Bound To Make This Prayer?
IV. I Will Proceed To Show That This Kind Of Faith Always Obtains The Object.
V. I Am To Show How We Are To Come Into This State Of Mind, In Which We Can Offer Such Prayer.
VI. I Will Refer To Some Objections Which Are Brought Forward Against This Doctrine.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE VI THE SPIRIT OF PRAYER[/b]
I. What Spirit Is It That Is Spoken Of In The Text?
II. What The Spirit Does.
III. Why Is The Holy Spirit Thus Employed?
IV. How Does He Make Intercession For The Saints?
V. In What Degree Are We To Expect The Spirit Of God To Affect The Minds Of Believers?
VI. How Are We To Know Whether It Is The Spirit Of God That Influences Our Minds Or Not?
VII. How Shall We Get This Influence Of The Spirit Of God?
VIII. For Whom Does The Spirit Intercede?
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE VII ON BEING FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT[/b]
I. I Am To Show You That You May Have The Spirit.
II. I Am To Show, Secondly, That It Is Your Duty.
III. Why Many Do Not Have The Spirit.
IV. I Am To Show The Great Guilt Of Not Having The Spirit Of God.
V. The Consequences Of Having The Spirit.
VI. Consequences Of Not Being Filled With The Spirit.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE VIII MEETINGS FOR PRAYER[/b]
I. The Design Of Prayer Meetings.
II. The Manner Of Conducting Prayer Meetings.
III. I Am To Mention Several Things, Which May Defeat The Design Of A Prayer Meeting.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE IX MEANS TO BE USED WITH SINNERS[/b]
I. To What Points Are The Children Of God Required To Testify?
II. How Are They To Testify?
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE X TO WIN SOULS REQUIRES WISDOM[/b]
I. The Manner Of Dealing With Careless Sinners.
II. The Manner Of Dealing With Awakened Sinners.
III. The Manner Of Dealing With Convicted Sinners.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XI A WISE MINISTER WILL BE SUCCESSFUL[/b]
I. I Am To Show That A Right Discharge Of The Duties Of A Minister Requires Great Wisdom.
II. The Amount Of A Minister's Success In Winning Souls (Other Things Being Equal) Invariably Decides The Amount Of Wisdom He Has Exercised In The Discharge Of His Office."
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XII HOW TO PREACH THE GOSPEL[/b]
I. I Am To Show That The Bible Ascribes Conversion To Men.
II. I Proceed To Show That This Is Not Inconsistent With Those Passages In Which Conversion Is Ascribed To God.
III. As Proposed, I Shall Now Advert To Several Important Particulars Growing Out Of This Subject, As Connected With Preaching The Gospel, And Which Show That Great Practical Wisdom Is Indispensable To Win Souls To Christ.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XIII HOW CHURCHES CAN HELP MINISTERS[/b]
I. Things That Must Be Avoided.
II. Several Things Which Churches Must Do.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XIV MEASURES TO PROMOTE REVIVALS[/b]
I. God Has Established No Particular Measures.
II. Present Forms Arrived At By Degrees.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XV HINDRANCES TO REVIVALS[/b]
I. A Revival Of Religion Is A Great Work.
II. Things Which May Stop A Revival.
III. Things Which Ought To Be Done.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XVI THE NECESSITY AND EFFECT OF UNION.[/b]
I. Agreeing In Prayer.
II. Agreement In Essential Things.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XVII FALSE COMFORTS FOR SINNERS[/b]
I. Instructing Anxious Sinners.
II. Anxious Sinners Are Always Seeking Comfort.
III. Ways In Which False Comfort Is Given.
IV. Errors Made In Praying For Sinners.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XVIII DIRECTIONS TO SINNERS[/b]
I. What Are Not Proper Directions.
II. What Is A Proper Answer.
III. Errors Into Which Anxious Sinners Are Apt To Fall.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XIX INSTRUCTIONS TO CONVERTS[/b]
I. The Hopes Of Young Converts.
II. Making A Profession Of Religion.
III. The Importance Of Giving Right Instruction.
IV. Things Which Should Not Be Taught.
V. Things Which It Is Important Should Be Taught.

[b]LECTURE XX INSTRUCTIONS TO CONVERTS - (continued)[/b]
I. Further Instructions To Young Converts.
II. How The Church Should Treat Young Converts.
III. Some Of The Evils Of Defective Instruction.
Remarks.

[b]LECTURE XXI THE BACKSLIDER IN HEART[/b]
I. What A Backsliding Heart Is Not.
II. What Backsliding In Heart Is.
III. What Are Evidences Of A Backslidden Heart.
IV. The Consequences Of Backsliding In Heart.
V. How To Recover From A State Of Backsliding.

[b]LECTURE XXII GROWTH IN GRACE[/b]
I. What Grace Is.
II. What To "Grow In Grace" Does Not Mean.
III. What It Does Mean.
IV. Conditions Of Growth In Grace.
V. Some Signs That Are Not Proof Of Growth.
VI. What Is Proof Of Growth.
VII. How To Grow In Grace.
Remarks.

“If Christians around the world were to suddenly renounce their personal agendas, their life goals and their aspirations, and begin responding in radical obedience to everything God showed them. the world would be turned upside down. How do we know? Because that's what first century Christians did, and the world is still talking about it.” - Henry Blackaby

2004/4/15 22:38Profile
sdb

tucson

Re: Lectures

Greg, pardon me for being stupid, but where can I find these lectures...thanks scott

2004/4/22 23:02Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Lectures

Scott
Don't feel so stupid. Below are the links for:
Lecture 1
Lecture 2
If you go to each of these links, the first post contains the Lecture in Text, along with a link to the audio transcription. Greg has just strated on Lecture 2, but it's recomended that you begin at the start and move on, as Finney presented these lectures week by week.
You can also get the complete Lectures on Revival of Religion here.
Welcome to the journey.

Aaron

P.S- I dig ya avatar :-D

[u][b]How easily we forget how easy it's meant to be.[/b][/u]

[i]If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.[/i]
[b][1 John 1:8-10 KJV][/b]

[i]For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.[/i]
[b][Hebrews 4:15-16][/b]

2004/4/23 6:20Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

The Finney Lectures are updated with [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2676&forum=40]Lecture V[/url]. If you are just joining this series go through the prior 4 lectures and you have the ability to comment on parts that spoke powerfully to your walk in Christ.

2004/7/26 15:55Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: audio lectures

Thank you Greg and Robert for these audio recordings of Finney's lectures. I have been listening to them at work, what a blessing!

If anyone here hasn't read or listened to these lectures on revival from Finney I urge you to do so. I have personally found them to be convicting, challenging, and life changing.

Finney has a way of cutting right to the heart of a matter, his arguments are are laid out so well, you can certainly tell he had a background in the law. Couple that with an anointing of the Spirit and you have a powerful message that will shake and stir you to your core.

Thanks again for these recordings, I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of these wonderful lectures.

In Christ,

Ron

If you will here stop and ask yourselves why you are not as pious as the primitive Christians were, your own heart will tell you, that it is neither through ignorance nor inability, but purely because you never thoroughly intended it.
― William Law

2004/7/28 10:43Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Thank you Greg and Robert for these audio recordings of Finney's lectures. I have been listening to them at work, what a blessing!

Amen I belive our brother Robert Wurtz II who is doing the readings will be doing them more often now ;-) keep checking back for more and I will update the front page once one is added.

2004/7/28 11:50Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re: "Revivals of Religion" Lectures by Charles G. Finney

I have been giving the book "Revivals of Religion" by Charles Finney. This book has amazing insight on a variety of subjects. So far I think the greatest insight I have seen in the book is on the chapters on 'Praying' and 'Winning souls.' My friend and I have been going through it and share with many of the people that attend our prayer meeting on Mon. and Tues. It is interesting that how much people just dont know how to pray in their personal lives as well as in corporate settings. If you have lost fire for the lost I recommend that you read this book, it will spark something in your cold lifeless heart. People are always hating on Finney and I don't understand it. The man was on point. Do whatever it takes to read this book in your life because if you trully want revival this one is a must. Peace. God bless.

'Repose in the blood of Christ; a firm confidence in God, and persuasion of his favour; the highest tranquility, serenity, and peace of mind, with a deliverance from every fleshly desire, and a cessation of all, even inward sins.'

-Arvid Gradin

2004/7/29 19:35Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
If you have lost fire for the lost I recommend that you read this book, it will spark something in your cold lifeless heart. People are always hating on Finney and I don't understand it. The man was on point.

Amen brother, these readings will set your spirit on fire and bring you to your knees to seek the master. I have added the latest lecture: [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2725&forum=40]LECTURE VI - THE SPIRIT OF PRAYER by Charles Finney[/url]

2004/8/2 13:07Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

The latest lecture has been added if you have just found this thread at this point.. take a listen to the prior messages and feel free to comment on the other threads. [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2976&forum=40]LECTURE VII - ON BEING FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT[/url]

2004/9/5 20:58Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy