Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Money Matters

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
timmyspitz

Cottonwood, Arizona

Re:

Hey Paul,
I have been to 2 churches that did the box at the back thing. And I have to say that it was great not only for the hearts of the believers, so that they didn't feel pressured but it also was great for the witness of the churches. There were several converts that said one of the things that they were struck by as they came into the church was that there wasn't an offering. I think the "Church"'s witnesses has in many ways hindered by a reputation of only being after peoples wallets.

2007/4/11 12:22Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I have been to 2 churches that did the box at the back thing. And I have to say that it was great not only for the hearts of the believers, so that they didn't feel pressured but it also was great for the witness of the churches. There were several converts that said one of the things that they were struck by as they came into the church was that there wasn't an offering. I think the "Church"'s witnesses has in many ways hindered by a reputation of only being after peoples wallets.

This is great! I'm really trying to think back and see if I've ever been to a church like that - and I'm coming up with blanks. What you've described is just what I'd anticipate. Three things:

1. God would bless the faith of the church's leadership and provide.

2. People's hearts would feel unpressured and thus be able to enter into a time of prayer and worship unhindered by financial obligations.

3. It would be a tremendous witness to visitors and those perhaps not foundationed in the faith. A world that stigmatizes Christian churches as "money grubbers" deperately needs to see a true church that is not bent on money, but rather holiness and purity. Keep the money bag in the back; bring the beautiful holiness of Jesus Christ to the front.

2007/4/11 12:31Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
What you've described is just what I'd anticipate. Three things:

1. God would bless the faith of the church's leadership and provide.

2. People's hearts would feel unpressured and thus be able to enter into a time of prayer and worship unhindered by financial obligations.

3. It would be a tremendous witness to visitors and those perhaps not foundationed in the faith. A world that stigmatizes Christian churches as "money grubbers" deperately needs to see a true church that is not bent on money, but rather holiness and purity. Keep the money bag in the back; bring the beautiful holiness of Jesus Christ to the front.

Amen

2007/4/11 12:57Profile
roadsign

Re: No offerring at Easter (and Christmas)??? Surely not!

Quote:
I wasn't objecting so much to the accepted practice of tithing, but to the plate being passed around on the one day in the year when half of the 'audience' are first time Eastor visitors.

What’s this??? No offering for the C&E crowd?? It’s their chance to pay their dues! They expect it ….. been done that way for as long as they know: It’s TRADITION. (I have always assumed that most of the crowd are returnees, but I could be wrong) edit

Ya gotta have the offertory, folks!!!

Diane

2007/4/11 13:15Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Money Matters

I also think the box at the back of the church is the best way to go but the church that I attend does pass around baskets for the offering. However, at each service (Easter included), before the baskets are passed around the pastor will specifically ask those who are visiting NOT to put anything into the basket. Also, in the years I have been attending there I think I have heard one sermon that dealt with tithing, there is definitely no pressuring going on to give and many visitors have made favorable comments about that.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/4/11 13:20Profile

Re:

I have been to one or two churches who have a box at the back. The only problem was that I tended to bring my offering then forget to put it in! Maybe a reminder wouldn't be out of order!

At a prayer conference I used to attend regularly, they would have an offering night. It was a time of praise and worship, and a break from heavy intercession. The day before the leader would tell us to pray about how much the LORD wanted us to give. [i][b]"And if He tells you nothing, then don't put anything!"[/b][/i]

They always had a huge collection, most of which they gave away to other causes.

I think that's a great way of giving!

Jeannette

2007/4/11 13:27
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Money Matters

A large church that I went to for 19 years did not take up offering, unless for a visiting minister. They had boxes on the side walls and you could put it in whenever you wanted. It never lacked for funds to do what God wanted. I think that is the issue. If the work is inspired by God He will certainly fund it.

This is why I love George Mueller so much. They never told anyone of their need. The just went into the prayer closet and met God and He met their & the orphanages needs always. At times they had no food and the set the table like they did, thanking God for His provision and knock would come on the door and dinner was served. God is so good to His praying saints.

2007/4/11 16:43Profile

Re:

George Mueller is an excellent example!

Here is an excerpt from http://www.wholesomewords.org/biography/bmuller.html

Towards the close of the same year Müller was led to adopt the principle with which henceforth his name was associated, that trust in God, in the efficacy of sincere prayer, is sufficient for all purposes in temporal as well as in spiritual things. He accordingly abolished pew-rents, refused to take a fixed salary, or to appeal for contributions towards his support -- [b]simply placing a box at the door of the church for freewill offerings[/b] -- and he resolved never to incur debt either for personal expenses or in religious work, and never to lay up money for the future.

2007/4/11 17:02

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy