SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Have you been baptised in the Holy Spirit??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
tinluke

New England USA

Re:

Thanks to all of you who responded!! In reading some of your testimonies, I think the thing that I struggle with, is that I can't say, "on such and such a day, I was baptised in the spirit."
I can remember very specific moments with the Lord that have changed me forever and I know that I am not the person I was a few years ago.

I like timmyspitz's simplistic advice and I know that most of my stuggle lies in trusting the Lord. I also think that HE has put this burning in my heart. And I know that He will give me what I need, when I need it.

2007/4/10 18:50Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Every Christian is automatically Baptized in the Spirit at his/her conversion?? Brother, how can the church sleep on if this were true?

By church are you referring to all professing believers or all truly regenerate believers? Big difference and it would explain why there are so many "asleep".

2007/4/10 19:27Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
By church are you referring to all professing believers or all truly regenerate believers?

I am talking about all true professing, regenerate believers.

2007/4/10 20:09Profile
repentcanada

Re: Have you been baptised in the Holy Spirit??

I heard Zac Poonen say how he was baptized in the Holy Spirit, then ten years later he received the gift of speaking in tongues. He said he was baptized in the Spirit a number of years after after his conversion.

Question I have is: Can saints be baptized in the Holy Spirit and not even know it???

2007/4/10 20:40Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I am talking about all true professing, regenerate believers.

1 Corinthians 12:13 says, "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."

Notice that Paul does not say that some Christians are baptized in the Spirit, but all are baptized in the Spirit.

Is there any scriture that tells us to seek a second baptism of the Spirit?

The closest I can think of is Ephesians 5:18, "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit"

But this verse does not tell us to seek a 'second blessing' but tells us not to be drunk and show the fruits of drunkeness, but to be filled with the Spirit and show the fruits of the Spirit!

Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control"

2007/4/10 21:27Profile
lovegrace

Re:

RepentCanada, I don't think so. Because in Scripture (Book of Acts) there was some kind of physical sign of knowing this. There was something that made their meeting distinct.

Because in some cases in the book of Acts the church was praying and that's it. Other's preaching and then it happened. Not every time when someone got saved is there a reference to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Now, here are a few Scriptures on the difference between Salvation and Baptism of HS.

Acts 11:17 (NASB)
17 "Therefore if God gave to them the same gift as He gave to us also [b]after[/b] believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?"

Acts 2:4 (NASB)**Keep in mind, this is [b]AFTER[/b] Peter's "positive confession" (Belief in Jesus as the Son of God)**
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.

Acts 8:9-24 (NASB)[url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%208:9-24;&version=49;]link[/url]
Key Scriptures in this:
12 But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike.
13 Even Simon himself believed; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip, and as he observed signs and great miracles taking place, he was constantly amazed.
**(These Scriptures show that they BELIEVED in Jesus as their Lord)**

14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John,
15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit.
16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.
**(So, AFTER their Belief in the Lord, they hadn't had the Spirit fall upon them. Showing 2 different events; or then you must support a belief of a need of 'confirmation' or laying on of the hands for regeneration. Regeneration happens at belief. Bap. in Holy Spirit happens upon earnest prayer. *Look at the ask, knock, seek examples; they are referring to the HS*)**

Acts 10:47-48 (NASB)
47 "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"
48 And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

Acts 19:2 (NASB) *(Context nails the coffin on the matter; Vs. 1-10)*
2 He said to them, [b]"Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you [u]believed?"[/b][/u] And they said to him, [u]"No,[/u] we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."
*(Believed, in what? Answer= The Lord Jesus Christ. You can't refute (maybe try) that he[Paul] is referring to something AFTER conversion.

Jesus said, "Wait for it." This is after they preached the Kingdom of God for a maximum of 3 1/2 years. Don't try to say they were unregenerate. That word 'regenerate' isn't really used in Scripture that much, so don't make a distorted doctrine out of it.

Christ referred to His second coming as 'Regeneration.' So, be careful using that term. Cause, technically, we are ALL UNREGENERED because Jesus hasn't come back yet.

2007/4/10 21:32Profile
repentcanada

Re:

lovegrace,

how do you differentiate betweem true tongues and false tongues?

if we have so many who are baptized in the Holy Spirit, we do we have such a decrepit church here in North America??

2007/4/11 0:17Profile

Re: Have you been baptised in the Holy Spirit??

Tina said:

Quote:
But I know when I get alone before God, my heart's desire is to glorify HIM!! I can't tell you one single desire or goal that I have, other than that JESUS be glorifed and that HIS kingdom be advanced!!!

Seems to me you've already been baptized by the Holy Ghost. A.W. Tozer was once approached by a young man who was afraid he wasn't spiritual enough. Tozer told him, "You're the least of my worries".

In my very limited experience I advise that:

1. If you're disturbed at the fact you're not as close to Jesus as you should be;

2. If you want more charity, love, wisdom, understanding, knowledge, sanctification, and holiness and are begging our Father for these things;

3. If your secular (non-Christian) friends get annoyed when you talk about Jesus;

4. If old friends and family who haven't seen you since your conversion remark on how "different" you are;

5. If you spend hours and hours pouring over the Bible, going to Bible studies, praying in your bedroom, and thanking God for every wonderful blessing He's given you and yours...

... you've been baptised with the Holy Ghost.

In my very limited experience, I suggest you remember to worship God because of who He is, not because of what He can give you. If He decides you need tongues or some other apostolic gift to edify you or your congregation, rejoice but beware: "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more".

2007/4/11 1:26

Re:

Quote:
repentcanada wrote:
I heard Zac Poonen say how he was baptized in the Holy Spirit, then ten years later he received the gift of speaking in tongues. He said he was baptized in the Spirit a number of years after after his conversion.

Question I have is: Can saints be baptized in the Holy Spirit and not even know it???

Quote:

tinluke wrote:
Thanks to all of you who responded!! In reading some of your testimonies, I think the thing that I struggle with, is that I can't say, "on such and such a day, I was baptised in the spirit."
I can remember very specific moments with the Lord that have changed me forever and I know that I am not the person I was a few years ago.

I like timmyspitz's simplistic advice and I know that most of my stuggle lies in trusting the Lord. I also think that HE has put this burning in my heart. And I know that He will give me what I need, when I need it.

Dear Bro Tinluke, (and Repentcanada too...) (Why the name, TL? - reminds me of the tin man in The Wizard of Oz - he was given a heart because of his faithfulness. Maybe that's true of you too!)

While the "burning" is in your heart you can't go far wrong!

Don't be concerned about not knowing the date of a particular experience or a defininte thing that you can call "the Baptism in the Spirit". The Lord deals with each of us as individuals and no two experiences are alike. The following was my experience:

I was born again - a very definite "experience" that completely changed my life for ever. The first "sign" was probably the joy, that others could see and completely transformed me (a very honest friend said I looked quite beautiful!) The "internal signs", besides the joy was that I realised the next day (this was late at night on May 1st 1967!) that it was now possible to call God "Father" - there was a new relationship and a new way of praying on that basis. Another thing was that everything literally looked different, as in the hymn:
"Heaven above is deeper blue
Earth around is sweeter green
Something lives in every hue
Christless eyes have never seen..."
(quoted from memory).

It was probably about 6 years later that I had an experience that could be called the Baptism in the Spirit. It was certainly a deeper experience of God, though not as life-changing as my initial conversion. I don't know the date, only that there was a definite change.

A little while after that (maybe 6 months - can't remember) I was thinking of the issue of "tongues" and that it didn't make you a better Christian etc. The Lord interrupted my thoughts. "OK, you know all that; now if [i][b]I[/b][/i] want you to speak in tongues, are you willing?

My first reaction was (as mentioned elsewhere) "No fear! I don't want anything supernatural! Then realised what a cheek that was; you don't say, "No thanks" when offered a gift from someone you love!

..."Sorry Lord, OK, if you want to, I'm willing."

It was as ordinary and unemotional as that, and so were the "tongues" that followed about a week later (I actually looked up one word because it sounded as if it might be from a language I'd learnt a bit of when working in Africa. Didn't find it!). I wouldn't call that the Baptism in the Spirit...

There have been other experiences since. In the last few years the Lord had been digging up the painful roots of things I have held on to without realising it; guilt, rejection, inferiority etc, that have been with me from a child. Maybe if I'd experienced the "proper Baptism" this would have already been dealt with????

All I know is that we go on learning and growing in Him - unless we are rebelling and going away from Him instead.

Love in Him

Jeannette

2007/4/11 4:22

Re:

A simple study of the scripture will show you that you are baptized in the Holy Spirit when you are saved. If you do not have the Holy Spirit, it is impossible for you to be saved.

Being filled with the Spirit is a daily thing. The premise of the original post is completely unscriptural.

Krispy

2007/4/11 8:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy