Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jesus' "Pinnacle" temptation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

dohzman wrote

Quote:

simplicity
Simply put Jesus didn't quote the next line, He "did" the next line!
Quote:

philologos wrote:
Quote:

I don't think He was trying to win an argument. There is a sense in which none of his 'answers' are crushing arguments against the tempter but are the expression of his own personal choices to live his life before God.

We can be too clever in our contests with the enemy. The simplest and surest line is "resist the devil and he will flee..."

YESSSS!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

Thank you both. That really answers what I [i]needed[/i] to know, as well as what I [i]wanted[/i] to know!

I did suspect the Lord was going to speak to my heart (and maybe others') through this question.

Sometimes one has a spiritual "itch" (not the same as "itching ears") that like a physical one in the middle of the back, you just can't quite reach by yourself.

Again it isn't a case of "you scratch my back...", but mutual help and support out of love.

in Him

Jeannette

2007/4/6 14:47
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
LittleGift on 2007/4/6 19:47:36
Sometimes one has a spiritual "itch" (not the same as "itching ears") that like a physical one in the middle of the back, you just can't quite reach by yourself.

I know what you mean! Sometimes in a prayer meeting or in a testimony someone will express just the thing that you couldn't quite express and a great 'amen' rises in the heart.

2007/4/7 2:31Profile
dohzman

Re:

Amen! :-)

2007/4/7 7:33Profile
roadsign

Re: defeating the devil Jesus' way

I’m discovering a practical lesson here! After all, we are called to be Christ-like. Should that not include our own struggle against the forces of evil (or error)?

This reminds me of a recent thread title about the “warrior spirit”. Christ did not exhibit a warrior spirit – even in his use of the Word. We, on the other hand are easily tempted to get warrior-like and become engaged in a battle of powers - proclaiming (though subtly) our authority to “trample snakes”. (Lk. 10:19)

Quote:
Simply put Jesus didn't quote the next line, He "did" the next line!

Isn’t that how we apply the spiritual armour of God (Eph. 6:10ff)? It's not about quoting the verses. We must crucify our combative instincts, and then stand firm with the armour of God (living it).

It’s not about winning. It’s not a warrior position. It’s a non-resistant stand.

Is this what it means to be meek?

Diane

2007/4/7 8:49Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

roadsign said:

Quote:
It’s not about winning. It’s not a warrior position. It’s a non-resistant stand.

He has already won. Be strong in the Lord and in the power, [u]of His might[/u]. The weapons of are warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God.
Having done all to stand, stand therefore, In His victory, in His might, in His armour, and in His meekness.

roadsign said:

Quote:

Yes, :-) Yes, :-) Yes, :-) Yes, :-) Praise God Yes!

pastorfrin

2007/4/7 11:18Profile
dohzman

Re:

Quote:

An old quote I picked up somewhere many years ago "meekness isn't weakness, it's power under control". The picture language of meekness is that of a wild animal under control or a wild animal thats been tamed, so that it can be said we meek ourselves in a given circumstance, self control. Or the Holy Spirit meeks us.

2007/4/7 16:50Profile
roadsign

Re: meekness - it's effect

Quote:
it's power under control"

I suppose, then, that meekness develops as we trust in the POWER of our Lord, and not our own puny attempts to overpower the forces against us. Maybe it's learning to be proactive rather than reactive. Isn't that what the spiritual armor of God is all about?

Diane

2007/4/9 8:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

In the 60s here in the UK we had a brother who always used this definition of 'meekness' but used to add a few words..

...meekness is power under control for love's sake.

2007/4/9 13:36Profile
dohzman

Re:

I like that definition even better.
Dian-- You have to understand one thing about our christian life, its not always passive, nor is it always actively radical. Heb 5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
Heb 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
The battles of life were won in Christ's own life in His prayer closet. Can you imagine being present when He prayed? I think that's what caused the disciples to ask Him "Lord teach us to Pray". Luk 11:1 The examples and the order of parables afterwards hold alot of insight.

But all in all don't get caught in a mold of being completely passive in the war against powers of evil. The whole armour of God in Eph has with it both passive and active elements. :-)
How do you see it?

2007/4/9 15:16Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy