SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Death Reigned From Adam To Moses, Yet No Sin Was Imputed

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Death Reigned From Adam To Moses, Yet No Sin Was Imputed

--------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, I've been studying Romans alot recently, and I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a question.
--------------------------------------------------

Paul says in Romans that Death reigned from Adam until Moses, yet no sin was imputed because the law had not yet entered the world.

So, we know Abraham and all those guys between Adam and Moses were awaiting the promise of redemption through the Messiah.

[b]This is my question:[/b]

Once they died, where did they wait until the promise came?

Did the ones who believed immediately wait in heaven, while the ones who had not believed waited in hell?

If someone has studied this out, and has a good knowledge of it, then that is the person I want to hear from, I have already spent much time considering this, so I don't think there are a whole lot of angles left uncovered.

2007/4/3 14:56Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re: Death Reigned From Adam To Moses, Yet No Sin Was Imputed

I assmue that those who had faith, went to Abraham's bosom prior to Heaven, thus when Christ descended, He gathered those awaiting salvation, and took them to Heaven.

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and [b]was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom:[/b] the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Here we see two different places presented
1)Abraham's bosom
2)Hell

As far as Christ's descent
Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
Ephesians 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that [b]he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
Ephesians 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)[/b]

I have no concrete idology on this at all, and like Ben am curious to see others points too.

2007/4/3 15:18Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

This is one of the things I examined, but my question about it is that at this point the law had already entered, so it doesn't quite make sense to me.

Perhaps Abraham's bosom has to do only with the jews or something.

Anyhow, that's why I'm trying to find out.

2007/4/3 15:49Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

As for those who died without faith, they were sent to Sheol to await judgment. As for those who died with faith that is a different story.

Hebrews 11 tell us that the "men of old" were justified by faith. They were assured of things hoped for and had conviction of things not seen. They were commended by God because of their faith. They understood that the universe was created by the word of God.

For example, it was by faith that Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain. Through this sacrifice Abel was commended as righteous. Through Abel's faith, though he died, he still speaks to us day.

Also, by faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death. God took Enoch from this world because He was pleased with him.

Without faith, they understood that that it is impossible to please God. We must remember that as well because whomever draws near to God must believe that God exists and that He rewards all who seek Him.

Noah was a man of faith. God warned him about the flood before anyone ever heard of rain. In reverent fear Noah constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By doing this Noah showed faith in God; thus condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

Abraham had tremendous faith when he obeyed the call of God to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And through faith, he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he went to live in the land God promised, even though he lived there as a foreigner, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise.

Abraham was looking forward to the heavenly city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.

Abraham's wife Sarah through faith received power to conceive, even when she was past the age to have children. She considered God faithful and believed His promise. Through this...from one man Abraham--though as good as dead, were born descendants that were are numerous as the stars of heaven and the grains of sand by the seashore.

All of these people died in faith. They did not receive the things promised, but from afar saw them and believed them. They acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth because they belonged to God.

All these people who had faith made it clear that they are seeking a heavenly homeland. They lived for the next world, not this one, they desired a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

2007/4/3 15:57Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Paul says in Romans that Death reigned from Adam until Moses, yet no sin was imputed because the law had not yet entered the world.

So, we know Abraham and all those guys between Adam and Moses were awaiting the promise of redemption through the Messiah.

A similar question is "If sin was not imputed, how or why did God judge the world?"

2007/4/3 16:13Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

One other thing I might add, and I don't have any source for this except that my dad told me about it once, is that the Jews believed that there was a waiting place of some sort between here and heaven. But, they aalso believed alot of old wives tales too...

2007/4/3 16:15Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Quote:
A similar question is "If sin was not imputed, how or why did God judge the world?"

A very good question.

Now we know that they were a wicked and sinful people, but that no sin was imputed.

Perhaps this is why God used a flood?

Yet if no sin was imputed, they would of had to be judged based off of faith, as Abraham, or Noah was. At least this is where I think logic would take us.

2007/4/3 16:18Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy