SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Computer Advice

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
lovegrace

Re:

Tek-tips?

What do I download?

Compton, I'd love a Mac. Wanna help a brother out? :-P But for now I have to deal with what I got.

Parsley, when I try to download that stuff it says, "Save to a disk" and 'grays' out the rest of my options.

edit: Parsley, I am using Firefox and it 'grays' those options but not on IE.

2007/4/2 16:38Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Ok, try to save it to a disk, then open the file after it is finished. Does that work?

You can always go Linux! There are many free Linux OSs.

2007/4/2 16:50Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Last time I used Linux, I freaked out. I'm kind of 'gun-shy' about it. So, I'd prefer using Windows XP.

Edit: I'm uploading the 3 AVG free-programs.

What do I do when AVG found a virus? How do I delete it? (I'm in the middle of a scan)

2007/4/2 17:00Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Compton, I'd love a Mac. Wanna help a brother out?

:-P :-P

2007/4/2 17:54Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Quote:
Compton, I'd love a Mac. Wanna help a brother out?

:-P :-P

I'll give you my address. ;-)

I hope I can fix my computer with AVG. Man, it's driving me bonkers.

2007/4/2 18:17Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Dealing with those icons you could dig in the registry or use msconfig to disable spyware programs.
But probably the easiest way to get rid of spyware would be downloading [url=http://www.hitmanpro.nl/hitmanpro/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=9]'hitmanpro' 2.6[/url]. :-)

2007/4/2 18:27Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Hmm, would two programs of anti-spyware be bad? Cause if not, then I'm gonna download both.

2007/4/2 18:36Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Two anti-spyware program will usually work fine. Having two virusscanners at the same time can be a different story. About hitmanpro's behaviour, it installs and runs the following:

Quote:
This is exactly what Hitman Pro does: it combines Ad-Aware SE, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, CWShredder, Spyware Blaster, NOD32, Sysclean package. Most of the included programs are freeware. Some of these programs are limited trial editions of commercial programs, and the user can decide to switch these off after the trial period.

The great thing is that you don't have to worry about setting up and downloading anti-spyware tools anymore after this. Only occasionaly run this program and it will auto-run all these applications for you. It can even shut down your pc when its done. 8-)

Note that you better not use the computer while hitmanpro is running and that it might take some time till its finished.

2007/4/2 19:02Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Okay, AVG deleted 6 viruses and locked one of them. I'm on the spyware part. I'll try to download everything that everyone has been telling me. I'll get back to you in about 2/3 days.

2007/4/2 19:10Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

The two programs that all tech guys I know like to work with most are Spybot and Ad-aware SE Personal Ed., both of which that Hitman Pro has.

Big thing for the future: when you load up Spybot, be sure to go to the part that says "Immunize" and hit the button that actually does... it's exceptionally helpful for IE users.

One of the better free virus scanners is Trend Micro's... which can be run via java applet (so you're not installing much).

Also, Spybot has a feature in it which allows you to see what different programs are launched every time you start your computer - as well as having information on them to tell you whether or not people have found them to be illegitimate. If you go to the mode menu and click advanced (ok), then go into tools, system startup there's a list. Click the bar on the right hand side for info, and then check the different options (ignore ctfmon and blank values - they are fine even if they don't appear to be so.)

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, at least those tools should help in their default functions.

2007/4/2 19:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy