SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : new Bible to hit the UK "Good as New"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I suppose the other bits quoted do keep the sense of the original but this!!!!! Almost wondered if it was going to say that the pigeon "did something" on him - it's that horrible!...

Quote:
New: "As he was climbing up the bank again, [i][u]the sun shone through a gap in the clouds. At the same time a pigeon flew down and perched on him. Jesus took this as a sign that God's spirit was with him.[/u][/i] A voice from overhead was heard saying, 'That's my boy! You're doing fine!'"

Sorry, I don't like the Message either, though the bad interpretations may not be as obvious).

I think the main problem isn't with the contemporary language but with the misinterpretation, some of it blatant, as in the quote above.

Jeannette

2007/4/2 19:18
dohzman

big chuckle!!!!!

I'm sorry but reading this is just funny! The Word of God says a merry heart makes good like medicine. I read "stuff" like this and have a good belly laugh, almost like Elijah did when he mocked the prophets of baal on Mt. Carmel. I know it's a serious thing but it's also kind of funny, don't you think? :-(

2007/4/2 22:51Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: big chuckle!!!!!

Peter - Rocky?

[i]Rocky?[/i]

This reminds me of the Cowboys' New Testament I sometimes see here in the used bookstores. It's written in an 1870's western, camp fire vernacular. I remember thumbing through parts of the gospel, reading:

"Then the Good Lord rounded up all his men and said, "Now, listen here. Y'all know that pretty soon the folk are gonna get their hands on me, over in that yonder village called Jerusalem. And when they do, they're gonna put a real good hurtin' on me and kill me...but don't none of you worry, 'cause I'll be talkin to y'all again real soon - in about three days - after my Pa brings me back from the cemetery. Nobody is stronger than my Pa, and pretty soon he's gonna be y'all's Pa too."

At least the cowboy version is fun to read; this new one just sounds blasphemous, like Krispy said.

2007/4/2 23:29Profile
dohzman

brother Paul

That'll preach!! Never read that version but it' sounds quaint. More respectful. I didn't mean to sound as if that other version wasn't blasphemous but it strike a funny bone in me. I'll get mad and pray the wrath of God on it later though :-)

2007/4/2 23:56Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: brother Paul

Quote:
That'll preach!! Never read that version but it' sounds quaint. More respectful. I didn't mean to sound as if that other version wasn't blasphemous but it strike a funny bone in me. I'll get mad and pray the wrath of God on it later though

Yes, the "Rule Book" (the Cowboy Bible) is actually pretty good...for the sake of novelty. Certain lines of scripture - especially in some of Paul's epistles - are clearly pegged and oftentimes you can discover a unique slant on a verse you never noticed before. This is why I like going through new versions. Other people will see a new version (like the Message) and go into a panic, screaming "Blasphemy, blasphemy!" and toss the whole thing in a garbage can, but I like to scavenger hunt! You can often find coins buried in dirt - if you're willing to dig through the muck. I've found some great insights in the Message, and the NLT, which have helped me get a better grasp on some KJV thoughts.

I know what you mean by "belly laugh"! I think I laughed out loud in the bookstore when I ran across Jesus calling his disciples "my little buckaroos" as he chided them for lacking faith. It was sweet and pure and innocent. God can use it, and like you said, it can also preach!

http://www.cowboysforchrist.net/

2007/4/3 0:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
There have been a few Bibles like this have been coming around in the past 10-20 years and they haven't even made a dent, except maybe for the Message bible which as far as I know/recall is the Bible chosen for the Vineyard churches.

Well, it's like gas prices... oil companies jack the price up from $1.75 to $3.10/gal in three days, and everyone screams... then over time they lower it to $2.45/gal and everyone breathes a sigh of relief and thinks thats a good deal. They forget they are paying 70 cents more a gallon than they were 2 months ago... which is probably what the oil company's goal was in the first place.

Sooo... a really outrageous "version" of the bible comes out and everyone screams... and now all of a sudden Revolve "bible-zene" doesnt seem so bad. (but it is!)

Jordan said he couldn't wait to hear how KJV'ers will respond to this new "version"... well, as a KJV'er, I already responded. But nothing surprises me anymore. There's gay and lesbian study Bibles now... so why not this new "version" too?

How profane the world is, and how profane the "church" is becoming.

Krispy

2007/4/3 8:35

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Quote:
That'll preach!! Never read that version but it' sounds quaint. More respectful. I didn't mean to sound as if that other version wasn't blasphemous but it strike a funny bone in me. I'll get mad and pray the wrath of God on it later though

Yes, the "Rule Book" (the Cowboy Bible) is actually pretty good...for the sake of novelty. Certain lines of scripture - especially in some of Paul's epistles - are clearly pegged and oftentimes you can discover a unique slant on a verse you never noticed before. This is why I like going through new versions. Other people will see a new version (like the Message) and go into a panic, screaming "Blasphemy, blasphemy!" and toss the whole thing in a garbage can, but I like to scavenger hunt! You can often find coins buried in dirt - if you're willing to dig through the muck. I've found some great insights in the Message, and the NLT, which have helped me get a better grasp on some KJV thoughts.

I know what you mean by "belly laugh"! I think I laughed out loud in the bookstore when I ran across Jesus calling his disciples "my little buckaroos" as he chided them for lacking faith. It was sweet and pure and innocent. God can use it, and like you said, it can also preach!

http://www.cowboysforchrist.net/

Hey, I like the sound of the cowboy Bible! The quote you gave doesn't twist the central truth of what's being said like this new one does. I think that parts of The Message do as well - (read an online article criticising it - will look up a few things if you like). The Message, if they were correct, certainly did seem to badly distort the meaning of quite a lot of Scripture, and seemed to be seriously slanting towards the "Purpose-Driven" angle in parts).

Re The Message, I liked a bit of the NT read in someone's copy, when it first came out, and later bought one of the OT sections (?Proverbs?)that were first published. All I know is that the bit I read in the OT version didn't "smell" right somehow, but can't remember what it was.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/4/3 9:27

Quote:

dohzman wrote:
I'm sorry but reading this is just funny! The Word of God says a merry heart makes good like medicine. I read "stuff" like this and have a good belly laugh, almost like Elijah did when he mocked the prophets of baal on Mt. Carmel. I know it's a serious thing but it's also kind of funny, don't you think? :-(

Yes, it's a matter of "If you don't laugh you will have to cry".

The Lord has the last laugh on those who mock Him! (Psalm 2)

Jeannette

2007/4/3 9:29
strawrifle

uk

Hi Dohzman i must confess i did chuckle a little bit :-( ..

Its seems this story is not as new as i first thought..
Maybe its another publicity drive,or they take a while to hit the stores,it was released in 2004..heres a link about it
http://www.bible-researcher.com/gan.html

I have notices where people once used their own ides to confirm things,more and more people are using verses to back up their idea..I don't think its a coincidences that ideas in some Churches are becoming more liberal,as more of these translations are released..for example look at Romans 1:26-27

God let them go on to pursue their selfish desires. Women use their charms to further their own ends. Men, instead of being friends, ruthlessly exploit one another.

2007/4/3 9:35Profile

Re: The Message

Ity does seem as if the Message isn't all that much better. There was a link off the other one...

http://www.bible-researcher.com/themessage.html

Do you still think The Message is OK?

Jeannette

2007/4/3 10:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy