SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : THE OLD PATHS: Issue No. 14 - April "Price and Power of Revival"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 THE OLD PATHS: Issue No. 14 - April "Price and Power of Revival"

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/oldpaths/april/oldpaths_big.jpg[/img]

Click on the image above to download this montly release of the OLD PATHS magazine. This issue features the speakers: Duncan Campbell, G. Campbell Morgan, John Knox, A.B. Simpson, Horatius Bonar, Richard Baxter, Seth Rees, J.C. Ryle and many more, etc.

Download and print this newsletter out to share with others at church, schools, etc.

[b](Magazine) The Old Paths - Issue 14[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=15080

[b]THE OLD PATHS MAGAZINE: Archive[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15601&forum=16

2007/3/30 17:58Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: THE OLD PATHS: Issue No. 14 - April "Price and Power of Revival"

Some quotes from this issue:

Martyn Lloyd-Jones
"Though we claim to believe the whole of Scripture, in practice we frequently deny much of it by ignoring it."

Leonard Ravenhill
"The more men pray, the less worldly they become. The less they pray, the more worldly they become. I am, of course, speaking of professing Christians at this point."

F.J. Perryman
"The more God's people reckon with the devil in their praying, the more they will taste of the liberty of the Spirit in dealing with the issues of life."

A.W. Tozer
"I contend that whatever does not raise the moral standard of the church or community has not been a revival from God."

2007/3/31 14:03Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

"The whole history of the
Church is one long story of
this tendency to settle down
on this earth and to become
conformed to this world, to
find acceptance and popularity
here and to eliminate the
element of conflict and of
pilgrimage. That is the trend
and the tendency of everything.
Therefore outwardly, as
well as inwardly, pioneering
is a costly thing."

"It is a costly and a suffering
thing to come up against the
religious system that has
'settled down ' here. It is far
more costly than coming up
against the naked world itself.
The religious system can be
more ruthless and cruel and
bitter; it can be actuated by all
those mean things, contemptible
things, prejudices
and suspicions things that
you will not even find in decent
people in the world. It is
costly to go on to the heavenlies,
it is painful; but it is the
way of the pioneer, and it has
to be settled that that is how
it is."

T. Austin Sparks

2007/3/31 16:01Profile
Immanuel

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Power,not influence,was the watchword of the early church.

The secret of power is seperation from all that is unclean.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apostles proclaiming a message that was profoundly disturbing.We are afraid of disturbing people today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A full and complete surrender is the price of blessing;it is the price of revival.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the messsage "Price and Power of Revival"

2007/4/2 7:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

I have recieved alot of great feedback on this issue. Please do download it and share it with friends.

2007/4/9 17:58Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

A bit of backtracking here, being last months issue, wonderful isn't it? No such thing as "Old" in these parts, if you follow what I mean ...

Was reading through the following yesterday [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=20566]Practical Holiness by J.C. Ryle[/url] and thought I would just share an excerpt, what a great man of God J.C. Ryle, such a great understanding.

Benevolence Towards Others

g. A holy man will follow after a spirit of mercy and benevolence towards others. He will not stand all the day idle. He will not be content with doing no harm; he will try to do good. He will strive to be useful in his day and generation and to lessen the spiritual wants and misery around him as far as he can. Such was Dorcas: "full of good works and almsdeeds, which she did"—not merely purposed and talked about, but did. Such a one was Paul: "I will very gladly spend and be spent for you," he says, "though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved" (Acts 9:36; 2 Cor. 12:15).
h. A holy man will follow after purity of heart. He will dread all filthiness and uncleanness of spirit, and seek to avoid all things that might draw him into it. He knows his own heart is like tinder and will diligently keep clear of the sparks of temptation. Who shall dare to talk of strength when David can fall? There is many a hint to be gleaned from the ceremonial law. Under it the man who only touched a bone or a dead body or a grave or a diseased person became at once unclean in the sight of God. And these things were emblems and figures. Few Christians are ever too watchful and too particular about this point.

Following After The Fear Of God

i. A holy man will follow after the fear of God. I do not mean the fear of a slave, who only works because he is afraid of punishment and would be idle if he did not dread discovery. I mean rather the fear of a child, who wishes to live and move as if he was always before his father’s face, because he loves him. What a noble example Nehemiah gives us of this! When he became governor at Jerusalem, he might have been chargeable to the Jews and required of them money for his support. The former governors had done so. There was none to blame him if he did. But he says, "So did not I, because of the fear of God" (Neh. 5:15).

j. A holy man will follow after humility. He will desire, in lowliness of mind, to esteem all others better than himself. He will see more evil in his own heart than in any other in the world. He will understand something of Abraham’s feeling, when he says, "I am dust and ashes," and Jacob’s, when he says, "I am less than the least of all Your mercies," and Job’s, when he says, "I am vile," and Paul’s, when he says, "I am chief of sinners." Holy Bradford, that faithful martyr of Christ, would sometimes finish his letters with these words: "A most miserable sinner, John Bradford." Good old Mr. Grimshaw’s last words, when he lay on his deathbed, were these: "Here goes an unprofitable servant."

k. A holy man will follow after faithfulness in all the duties and relations in life. He will try, not merely to fill his place as well as others who take no thought for their souls, but even better, because he has higher motives and more help than they. Those words of Paul should never be forgotten: "Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord": "Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord" (Col. 3:23; Rom. 12:11). Holy persons should aim at doing everything well and should be ashamed of allowing themselves to do anything ill if they can help it. Like Daniel, they should seek to give no "occasion" against themselves, except concerning the law of their God (Dan. 6:5). They should strive to be good husbands and good wives, good parents and good children, good masters and good servants, good neighbors, good friends, good subjects, good in private and good in public, good in the place of business and good by their firesides. Holiness is worth little indeed if it does not bear this kind of fruit. The Lord Jesus puts a searching question to His people when He says, "What do you more than others?" (Matt. 5:47).

l. Last, but not least, a holy man will follow after spiritual–mindedness. He will endeavor to set his affections entirely on things above and to hold things on earth with a very loose hand. He will not neglect the business of the life that now is; but the first place in his mind and thoughts will be given to the life to come. He will aim to live like one whose treasure is in heaven and to pass through this world like a stranger and pilgrim traveling to his home. To commune with God in prayer, in the Bible, and in the assembly of His people—these things will be the holy man’s chief enjoyments. He will value everything and place and company, just in proportion as it draws him nearer to God. He will enter into something of David’s feeling, when he says, "My soul follows hard after You"; "You are my portion" (Ps. 63:8; 119:57).

A Tender Conscience?

Here let me insert that I am not without fear that my meaning will be mistaken, and the description I have given of holiness will discourage some tender conscience. I would not willingly make one righteous heart sad or throw a stumbling block in any believer’s way. I do not say for a moment that holiness shuts out the presence of indwelling sin. No, far from it. It is the greatest misery of a holy man that he carries about with him a "body of death"; that often when he would do good "evil is present with him"; that the old man is clogging all his movements and, as it were, trying to draw him back at every step he takes (Rom. 7:21). But it is the excellence of a holy man that he is not at peace with indwelling sin, as others are. He hates it, mourns over it and longs to be free from its company. The work of sanctification within him is like the wall of Jerusalem—the building goes forward "even in troublous times" (Dan. 9:25).

Neither do I say that holiness comes to ripeness and perfection all at once or that these graces I have touched on must be found in full bloom and vigor before you can call a man holy. No, far from it. Sanctification is always a progressive work. Some men’s graces are in the blade, some in the ear, and some are like full corn in the ear. All must have a beginning. We must never despise "the day of small things." And sanctification in the very best is an imperfect work. The history of the brightest saints that ever lived will contain many a "but" and "however" and "notwithstanding" before you reach the end. The gold will never be without some dross, the light will never shine without some clouds, until we reach the heavenly Jerusalem. The sun himself has spots upon his face. The holiest men have many a blemish and defect when weighed in the balance of the sanctuary. Their life is a continual warfare with sin, the world and the devil; and sometimes you will see them not overcoming, but overcome. The flesh is ever lusting against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh, and in many things they offend all (Gal. 5:17; James 3:2).

But still, for all this, I am sure that to have such a character as I have faintly drawn, is the heart’s desire and prayer of all true Christians. They press towards it, if they do not reach it. They may not attain to it, but they always aim at it. It is what they strive and labor to be, if it is not what they are.

2007/5/17 9:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy