SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : criticism from Tolstoy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

criticism from Tolstoy

Leo Tolstoy wrote this:

A woman died and could not go to Heaven because she had been mean and cruel to everyone all her life. She went to Hell, and from there she prayed for mercy. Was there no way she could be admitted to Heaven?

The angel who guards the gates looked around and asked all the souls in Heaven, "Is there anyone here who has ever had a kind word or an act of generosity from this woman?" Only one stepped forth. He said that in life he had been a starving beggar, and one time this woman had given him an onion. The angel told him, “Bring me the onion.” It wasn’t much of an onion—small and shriveled—a pretty poor meal even for a beggar. Would it be enough of an act of kindness to raise the old woman out of Hell?

The angel took the onion and reached down with it into Hell. The old woman grasped it and the angel began to pull her up. The thin dry stalk seemed like it might snap at any minute, but as she held onto it, her feet were lifted from the ground. The other damned souls around her saw her beginning to rise Heavenward and they grabbed at her skirts and her feet, hoping to be pulled up with her. The onion stalk was so spindly. Would it hold?

The old woman looked down at the other damned souls clinging to her and yelled, “Let go! It’s my onion!”

And with that, the onion broke.

This critical story reminds me that Christians need to be vigilant at being inclusive of people of other spiritual persuasion and religious experience in our considerations.

Tolstoy's analogy, of course, is Christ as the starving beggar, the onion representing faith, and the Christian as the person of the capitalist society that keeps everything for themselves.

I am not saying anything here in support of communism. it is just that his criticism is on the mark and Christians should listen and heed it.

bub

2007/3/30 17:40
RyanFishel

Re: criticism from Tolstoy

Speaking of Russian authors, check out "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man" by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

http://www.kiosek.com/dostoevsky/library/ridiculousman.txt

2007/3/30 18:30Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: criticism from Tolstoy

Bubba,
Only the blood of Jesus can save a person from hell.

Something is wrong with this analogy. It makes me feel so uneasy...there is no Biblical parallel...maybe I am too simple and old fashioned.

ginnyrose

2007/3/30 23:10Profile
dohzman

Re:

Quote:
Something is wrong with this analogy. It makes me feel so uneasy...there is no Biblical parallel...maybe I am too simple and old fashioned.

Or maybe you're right! There is no other name (way ) where by men can be saved but by Jesus Christ.

2007/3/31 2:04Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy